oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

If the remit is to sell our best players and avoid relegation the club are hardly gonna announce that in a press conference. Otherwise who's gonna turn up to watch? 

The narrative will be spun by the club and Gazette about a bright new future of young home grown players and people will lap it up. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

So we are using the Norwich template? Thats ok.

No they brought in one of the best sporting directors in the country and bought well from overseas. 

We are going for the 'managed decline' model. 

We couldn't be further away from Norwich. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

If the remit is to sell our best players and avoid relegation the club are hardly gonna announce that in a press conference. Otherwise who's gonna turn up to watch? 

The narrative will be spun by the club and Gazette about a bright new future of young home grown players and people will lap it up. 

It looks a bit League 1 to me?

• Like 1

Woodgate getting the job has left me uninspired. 

Maybe Gibson has genuinely given this a good amount of thought, and maybe Woodgate did interview best out of the prospective candidates, but it’s hard not to be skeptical about whether Gibson’s decision making these days is really the best thing for the club.

You’ll automatically get the fans that will bang the ‘get behind him or you’re not a real fan’ drum, but unfortunately after a horrendous division of the fans after Monk and Pulis, this appointment is really unlikely to unite the fan base to get behind the manager, and club in general. I fear that if we don’t get off to a good start, the crowds will dwindle even further and discontent will start.

I really hope the start of the season will show us playing expansive football, and re-invigorate the club with a feel good factor. But for me, that black cloud that’s hung over the club these last six months still feels like it might be there at the start of the season.

I think this is the biggest decision for Gibson he’s ever had. For me, over the last ten years he’s made some pretty bad decisions, and over the last three years has made some horrendous decisions. One more bad decision is likely to set this club back for years. 

I remember a couple of years back when black ex pros were criticising the lack of black managers in the EPL & EFL and this got a lot of media attention.

At the same time though, based on proportional representation of black people in the UK they were actually over represented.

On the flip side,  if it's a black chairman/owner do white applicants qualify for the Rooney rule?

I'm all for equality but equality should be applied equally, otherwise it's not equality at all...

To be fair to Woodgate's character he went out of his way to come home during his playing career twice when he didn't have to financially and was loyal to Karanka even as his chances were limited to a cup game at Blackpool still kept it professional on the pitch to the end.

Compare him and the way he conducted himself in his final years with us as a player to someone like Downing who seems to not accept his value is significantly decreased in terms of his professionalism Woodgate's on another level to most of the pro's we've had. If any ex pro can make it as a manager it'd probably be him best reader of the game we've produced in 20 years maybe he'd make it as a manager but it's a hell of a risk to take with a small expensive squad.

If it's Woodgate there won't be a parade through the town centre and he'll need a perfect pre season to get everyone on side and maybe stop the IG teen angst posts then people will definitely give him a fair crack but he absolutely wont get a warm reception when they announce him next week if he was your guy the whole time and you really did only interview 3-4 people they'd have been better off ripping that bandaid off last week because he has a serious job to do between handling Braithwaite/Britt/Gestede convincing Fletcher to stay figuring out what defenders he wants for his style and what he doesn't even Jokanovic would have a monster job on his hands I don't envy whoever gets it.

2 minutes ago, GwenStuani said:

At the same time though, based on proportional representation of black people in the UK they were actually over represented.

I find that very hard to believe.

3 minutes ago, GwenStuani said:

On the flip side,  if it's a black chairman/owner do white applicants qualify for the Rooney rule?

I'm all for equality but equality should be applied equally, otherwise it's not equality at all...

I don’t know the ins and outs of it but I’d assume not as the vast majority of candidates will still be white.

5 minutes ago, GwenStuani said:

I remember a couple of years back when black ex pros were criticising the lack of black managers in the EPL & EFL and this got a lot of media attention.

White people do not suffer from systemic racism. They are not historically oppressed.  So, no, that would be stupid. 

My cousin is saying that the rumours about woodgate failing his exams are not true. According to him woodgate got the highest marks in the class! 

Just his word for it, but he does know a number of staff and players we have the club. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

So just an update on info I have been told.

1 yr rolling contract - Lowest paid manager we have had for years.  Remit is to stay in the championship and help the club use the academy to become self sustaining moving forward.

Did the club offer refunds on season tickets?

genuainly hope it blows up for Gibson and we go down. Nothing more than we deserve

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1
Just now, Smoggydownsouth said:

I’m praying that the club are leaking all this bad info so if they were to announce someone out of the blue it would appease the fans.... wishful thinking I know 

It does all seem a bit like Phelan around the time of the Karanka appointment. 

3 minutes ago, jamesp said:

Did the club offer refunds on season tickets?

genuainly hope it blows up for Gibson and we go down. Nothing more than we deserve

God you’re a ***.

• Like 2

3.4% of the population are black.

IIRC , at the time we had Powell, Ince, Hughton, Ramsey and I've probably missed one or two.

There is a distinct lack of black officials however, but that's probably not sought after tbf.