• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

I'm accepting it and looking at it as positively as I can because what else is there to do but accept it?

People threatening to tear up their season ticket before a ball has even been kicked are just cutting their nose off to spite their face, we all want the club to be successful so let's just see what happens before we get the pitchforks out eh?

16 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Monk had Beattie as a striker coach

Not that it matters overly when it comes to coaching ability, but theres a world of difference in quality between Beattie and Keane

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, D.Z. said:

People threatening to tear up their season ticket before a ball has even been kicked are just cutting their nose off to spite their face, we all want the club to be successful so let's just see what happens before we get the pitchforks out eh?

I think people are concerned that something similar will play out because they feel this decision is coming from the same thinking that brought Pulis in, which is at the very least something they can't support financially. I understand why some decided not to renew already. I'm just interested to see whether any have changed their minds since not renewing during early bird. I haven't seen anyone who's said they've changed their mind about that. Or if I have, I can't remember.

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Not that it matters overly when it comes to coaching ability, but theres a world of difference in quality between Beattie and Keane

It probably helps that Keane is Irish.  You and Borodane are a right pair!

• Haha 1

keane as a striker coach? leo as keeper coach and woody as manager with steve round the seasoned very experienced as good as we can hope to get assistant. i think i like this. bringing in robbie keane is a great move as is leo. the irish lads will be buzzing have him at the club and woody must be highly regarded by them anyway. i think we are going to have a happy camp this season. i think we are going in the right direction off the pitch. just hope it works on the pitch to. 

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think people are concerned that something similar will play out because they feel this decision is coming from the same thinking that brought Pulis in, which is at the very least something they can't support financially. I understand why some decided not to renew already. I'm just interested to see whether any have changed their minds since not renewing during early bird. I haven't seen anyone who's said they've changed their mind about that. Or if I have, I can't remember.

I didn't renew and I haven't renewed yet but my issue was Pulis rather than anything else.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

It probably helps that Keane is Irish.  You and Borodane are a right pair!

Knew you were gonna pipe up Haha. 

It doesnt harm it but I think most people would agree. Beattie was a good goalscorer for a few years, but only had one exceptional season and spent a good amount of time in lower leagues as his career went on. Keane mostly kept his standard up both domestically (America is debatable but he did return on loan a couple of times) and internationally. He was  a much more complete striker in general too, far more than just a goalscorer, very intelligent. Hopefully that aspect of his game will rub off on assombalonga. 

What a wonderful appointment! I’ve been saying all along that Woodgate as manager would be a stroke of genius, and Gibson – the Einstein of Football – duly delivered. What more could you ask for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

No, the point I'm making is the point I've made.  Some people absolutely didn't want Woodgate and are now saying it's a good appointment.  I think Gibson knows perfectly well how fans react to things and in some respects he's played a blinder here.  All credit to him.  I reckon if a month ago you'd told people that it would be Woodgate, Keane, Percovich and Round in one set up or another that the reaction would have been quite different especially with some of the names being mentioned.

I think there is more nuance to it than that. I have not seen anyone on here perform this 180 you've described. If any have, it's one or two at best. You are not alone in seeing through Gibson's actions. Let's be honest, now Woodgate has been appointed, his tactics have become pretty transparent. I think most fans are fully in tune to what Gibson has pulled here - I have seen so many people slate Gibson/the club for their tactics during this period without a manager. The fans who are reacting in a more positive way to Woodgate are not necessarily saying it's a good appointment, but that they're willing to give him a chance. That's a pretty important distinction. 

The fans supporting Woodgate are not oblivious to the club's strategies and the support doesn't appear to derive from these strategies. It seems to be more to do with the fact that people have felt extremely disconnected from the club over these past 18 months or so. As fans, obviously they want to avoid that feeling. Being on Woodgate's back from the start would mean there is no chance that connection will be rekindled, nor is it in anyone's best interests. The support is a symptom of the shitshow we've been served up over these past 18 months, not some transparent PR strategies.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

So long as he gets our strikers to do the patented roly-poly into finger guns celebration.

please god he doesnt get the chance to play ,let alone score but Gestede and this celebration  would only have one outcome 

• Haha 2

Hopefully Keane being on the coaching team here will help us entice some of the steady stream of young Irish players coming over the Irish League. Keane will surely have a great awareness of the talented players within the Irish youth teams (under 17's, 18's and 21's etc) and he's a legend for Ireland so that could be a potential positive to him joining us.

• Like 1
Just now, Essuuaitch said:

please god he doesnt get the chance to play ,let alone score but Gestede and this celebration  would only have one outcome 

Maybe it would stop Jamie calling him the gymnast at least...

Just now, p_mards said:

Hopefully Keane being on the coaching team here will help us entice some of the steady stream of young Irish players coming over the Irish League. Keane will surely have a great awareness of the talented players within the Irish youth teams (under 17's, 18's and 21's etc) and he's a legend for Ireland so that could be a potential positive to him joining us.

Cyrus Christie anyone?