oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

16 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think people are concerned that something similar will play out because they feel this decision is coming from the same thinking that brought Pulis in, which is at the very least something they can't support financially. I understand why some decided not to renew already. I'm just interested to see whether any have changed their minds since not renewing during early bird. I haven't seen anyone who's said they've changed their mind about that. Or if I have, I can't remember.

I'd like to think so, I want nothing more than a rocking Riverside stadium like what we saw under AK, its something to be real proud of and if we get behind Woodgate and give him a chance we could see that again

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I think there is more nuance to it than that. I have not seen anyone on here perform this 180 you've described. If any have, it's one or two at best. You are not alone in seeing through Gibson's actions. Let's be honest, now Woodgate has been appointed, his tactics have become pretty transparent. I think most fans are fully in tune to what Gibson has pulled here - I have seen so many people slate Gibson/the club for their tactics during this period without a manager. The fans who are reacting in a more positive way to Woodgate are not necessarily saying it's a good appointment, but that they're willing to give him a chance. That's a pretty important distinction. 

The fans supporting Woodgate are not oblivious to the club's strategies and the support doesn't appear to derive from these strategies. It seems to be more to do with the fact that people have felt extremely disconnected from the club over these past 18 months or so. As fans, obviously they want to avoid that feeling. Being on Woodgate's back from the start would mean there is no chance that connection will be rekindled, nor is it in anyone's best interests. The support is a symptom of the shitshow we've been served up over these past 18 months, not some transparent PR strategies.

I must have imagined the past few weeks then.  How I remember it is that people wanted just about anyone other than Woodgate and there were even some people on here who were suggesting that if the alternative to Pulis was Woodgate then we'd have been better off sticking with Pulis.  I think when people use words like excited, optimistic and call it a bold move then actually that's a fair about-turn.  I understand why that's the case it's just something that tickles me a little.  If people can honestly say that this forum hasn't been generally negative towards Woodgate being appointed and that the mood hasn't changed somewhat in the last 24 hours or so then I'm not sure what you're reading tbh.  Not that it matters but my opinion is fairly neutral towards it as it was a few weeks back.  I can't say I'm especially optimistic or excited by it but neither am I overly pessimistic about it either.  I do think the last month or so has been quite interesting however and I'd love to know how things progressed to this point.

I'm fully in support of Woodgate, would rather have him than a £80k/week mercenary like Jokanovic who offers no real guarantees, given the unique circumstance he benefited from at Watford & Fulham.. and none of the other contenders really jumped out - was fearing the worst when Nigel 'high school maths teacher' Adkins was getting linked with it last minute.

We have a history of appointing first time managers and tbh, they've pretty much always been a success, it's the established managers we need to avoid..!

1 minute ago, mj south said:

I'd like to think so, I want nothing more than a rocking Riverside stadium like what we saw under AK, its something to be real proud of and if we get behind Woodgate and give him a chance we could see that again

Me too mate, I would like nothing better than for the stadium to be packed and rocking, I'm just not so sure that's going to happen in the current climate. I don't think it will happen unless the chairman tells the story as it is and Woody proves his doubters wrong. If we set the stall to be a club trying to change our ways from top to bottom (because what we've been doing hasn't worked) then there might be a chance we get there sooner rather than later. But Woody has to show we're progressing towards whatever that target is too.

24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I must have imagined the past few weeks then.  How I remember it is that people wanted just about anyone other than Woodgate and there were even some people on here who were suggesting that if the alternative to Pulis was Woodgate then we'd have been better off sticking with Pulis.  I think when people use words like excited, optimistic and call it a bold move then actually that's a fair about-turn.  I understand why that's the case it's just something that tickles me a little.  If people can honestly say that this forum hasn't been generally negative towards Woodgate being appointed and that the mood hasn't changed somewhat in the last 24 hours or so then I'm not sure what you're reading tbh.  Not that it matters but my opinion is fairly neutral towards it as it was a few weeks back.  I can't say I'm especially optimistic or excited by it but neither am I overly pessimistic about it either.  I do think the last month or so has been quite interesting however and I'd love to know how things progressed to this point.

I agree the mood has changed. But I don’t think it has been a black and white change from despising the idea of Woodgate to loving the appointment of Woodgate. I think it’s gone from despising the idea of Woodgate to accepting that’s what we’ve got and willing to give him a chance. And I don’t think that shift has derived mainly from the club’s PR strategies, but mainly from a desire to feel connected to the club again. 

19 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I agree the mood has changed. But I don’t think it has been a black and white change from despising the idea of Woodgate to loving the appointment of Woodgate. I think it’s gone from despising the idea of Woodgate to accepting that’s what we’ve got and willing to give him a chance. And I don’t think that shift has derived mainly from the club’s PR strategies, but mainly from a desire to feel connected to the club again. 

Yeah you're probably right about it not being black and white to be fair.

58 minutes ago, chickenlunch said:

I'm fully in support of Woodgate, would rather have him than a £80k/week mercenary like Jokanovic who offers no real guarantees, given the unique circumstance he benefited from at Watford & Fulham.. and none of the other contenders really jumped out - was fearing the worst when Nigel 'high school maths teacher' Adkins was getting linked with it last minute.

We have a history of appointing first time managers and tbh, they've pretty much always been a success, it's the established managers we need to avoid..!

Like Pulis 

I don’t feel as bad about woodgate now as I did a few weeks ago, not sure if it’s just acceptance or that at least it’s a new set up and ‘the unknown’ is a bit exciting.

all depends on the players we get in now, good point about Keane possibly attracting some Irish players over. Every season there seems to be a couple of random Irish players signed from a pub team who turn out brilliant.

i do think we need to be basing our standards higher than ‘at least it’s not pulis’ though.

Just now, LinoJo3 said:

I don’t feel as bad about woodgate now as I did a few weeks ago, not sure if it’s just acceptance or that at least it’s a new set up and ‘the unknown’ is a bit exciting.

all depends on the players we get in now, good point about Keane possibly attracting some Irish players over. Every season there seems to be a couple of random Irish players signed from a pub team who turn out brilliant.

Man you coulda fooled me with some of your posts over the last day or so.

Haha true but now all the hope has gone and what’s done is done it doesn’t feel ‘as bad’ as I thought it would. I’m not exactly ‘elated’ or anything by it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

i do think we need to be basing our standards higher than ‘at least it’s not pulis’ though.

Ha ha. Now who's blowing smoke mate.  All in gest, have a good day sir

i think CT has got a good point  in that  (if im reading it right)  there does seem to be a far less severe responce to what was  threatened by JW being appointed  mainly down to  the  supporting cast  installed  .

anyway , heres my  opinion on the chosen few

Woodgate.....wasnt my choice but that wasnt based on his lack of experience ,social background or that i was keen on  jokanovic .  it was purely down to him being  part of the  Gibson,Bauser, Gill ,Downing, Woodgate old mates brigade  which for all the talk of  sripping down / fresh start   are still ALL hanging around  . hence i dont really  believe the  words Gibson used  about Pulis,s departure and being in mourning  cos as it stands the onl casualties were those pulis brought in ..id see that as ridding any semblance of him . bar JW. 

I Bear JW no ill will for next season and who knows  he may actually be good at things  and im positive about the likes of tav,wing,fry walker etc  being allowed to flourish . add to that  hes not pulis  and thats the one aspect that unites everyone...but yeah my choices would have been  the likes of Stendel, or a left field cheaper than SJ option.

LEO... a clever PR appiontment that softened the blow and i like him and lets be fair ,if hes the GK coach which would be far more sensible than any other role  , he will go under the radar anyway  and for the most hes more than adequate and experienced . lets face it you never hear of a goalkeeping coach being called out as not up to it , even when the keepers are  having bad times , in general they live and die with the person who brought them in 

Round.....again im happy enough  with this  hes  competent enough that  the average fan has the ability to  understand  

Keane and Rosenior  are the  ones that  offer a bit of intrigue   and  have definately balanced quite a bit of  the adversity  the   Main  appointment may have made . 

at the end of the day if it  amounts to a more free flowing style of foootball (shouldnt be too difficult)  thats a step in the right direction  and   tbf that would have been the absolute minimum anyway to whoever came in  ,  i can be positive  in general .   and as ive said previously  i wont even blame JW if it blows up in our faces  .this time its down to the top man, lets see if his luck is in .