oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

4 hours ago, estonpidge said:

FOOTBALL fans can be a strange breed. Last season, Middlesbrough supporters were crying out for a change of direction. So what happens? Tony Pulis leaves, the club appoint Jonathan Woodgate as part of a radical reorganisation, and people are still not happy.

This opening bit is ridiculous though. You can be unhappy with something and then still be unhappy when it changes. "You had a car that didn't have an engine, we replaced it with one with an engine but without any wheels, and you still aren't happy? You're a strange breed".

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Foogle said:

I've not really seen it mentioned but how much will working in Liverpools scouting department for 9 months have helped give Woodgate a better grounding in what makes a successful player?

He'll have been using cutting edge statistical models to identify key player attributes for a high pressing game. 

???

36 minutes ago, Tom said:

This opening bit is ridiculous though. You can be unhappy with something and then still be unhappy when it changes. "You had a car that didn't have an engine, we replaced it with one with an engine but without any wheels, and you still aren't happy? You're a strange breed".

Not only that but is it truly a radical reorganisation if the same people are making the most of the decisions at the club?  Pulis left and his crack handpicked staff left but the key people above that level are still in place.  We'll see how things go.

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Not only that but is it truly a radical reorganisation if the same people are making the most of the decisions at the club?  Pulis left and his crack handpicked staff left but the key people above that level are still in place.  We'll see how things go.

Theoretically it could if some of those peoples jobs change. Bevington, for example, is supposedly going to be much more involved than he was with Pulis here. 

Whether that's a good thing and whether this all works out - as you say, we have to see how things go!

23 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Theoretically it could if some of those peoples jobs change. Bevington, for example, is supposedly going to be much more involved than he was with Pulis here. 

Whether that's a good thing and whether this all works out - as you say, we have to see how things go!

I don't see how him being more involved in football decisions is a positive. He's got no experience in playing, coaching or scouting. 

What is he bringing to the table? 

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I don't see how him being more involved in football decisions is a positive. He's got no experience in playing, coaching or scouting. 

What is he bringing to the table? 

Well fortunately hes not here to play, coach or scout then!

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Which I suppose begs the obvious question....

https://www.mfc.co.uk/adrian-bevington

I don't understand why people are questioning what he brings.

A) hes got 17 years of experince working as a managing director of the English national team structures - no one can say hes not a football man based on that history 

And 

B) his responsibilities extend beyond the pitch - only people within the organisation actually see what he does every day.  Do fans need to scrutinise every single aspect of the club with absolutely no clue how it actually works? Maybe we should be looking at the accountants - what are they bringing? What about the lawyers? What about the club shop staff - do they have the right level of customer service skills?

13 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

A) hes got 17 years of experince working as a managing director of the English national team structures - no one can say hes not a football man based on that history 

And 

B) his responsibilities extend beyond the pitch - only people within the organisation actually see what he does every day.  Do fans need to scrutinise every single aspect of the club with absolutely no clue how it actually works? Maybe we should be looking at the accountants - what are they bringing? What about the lawyers? What about the club shop staff - do they have the right level of customer service skills?

You are unsure as to what the accountants are bringing?  Accountancy skills I'd imagine.  I suppose they could be giving their opinions on who we should sign as well in our new look operation.

Bevington didn't spend 17 years working as a managing director.  He spent 17 years working for the FA and the latter part of that time was as Managing Director of Club England.  I still don't quite know what that was other than I suspect he had a hand in appointing staff to various departments and presumably some input into the strategy of the FA but that must have been curtailed when Dan Ashworth came in as Technical Director.  He's a communications department guy who I'm guessing would like a crack at being a Chief Exec but we already seem to have one although it's not clear how well he's been doing his job if we're handing out stupid contracts left, right and centre. 

27 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

And 

What experience does he have at identifying talented players seen as though he's apparently on ' the committee'? 

He's a public relations man not a scout but I suspect you already knew that. 

Do fans need to defend every single decision made by the club? 

Edited by Duvel
5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Maybe he is good at dealing with agents ? No one appears to know what he brings, but it must be something useful.

Must it?

We've had plenty of other people involved in the club over the last few years that brought nothing useful. Why assume that a man who is incredibly good at self advertising would bring something useful?

14 minutes ago, Duvel said:

He's a public relations man

Maybe he is on the committee due to having the PR view on things. Maybe he is there to discuss and raise the point about if the potential player fits in line with the clubs views/policies etc.

He is also head of recruitment isn't he? Maybe he is also on the committee so that he can bring that point of view to the table too. How does the potential player fit in to the existing squad? Almost like profiling players on their personalities and how they fit together as a team.

5 minutes ago, Will said:

Must it?

We've had plenty of other people involved in the club over the last few years that brought nothing useful. Why assume that a man who is incredibly good at self advertising would bring something useful?

Are you this argumentative in real life, Will? ??