oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Someone who Unites the players and the fans. With a real philosophy for the game. Make it entertaining and understand when 5 at the back with two holding midfielders is appropriate while also getting that 5 or 7 attacking players should be used at other appropriate times.

Most importantly Though, someone who genuinely gives his all. Understands his limitations and exploits his strengths. Cares for the fans and celebrates with us after a win (ala Southgate geeing the crowd with his famous air bunches at the end of a match.....anyone seen any passion like that recently). Also, accepts responsibility for defeat when he should.

All in All, a genuine football bloke. I'd go for a relatively recently retired player as mentioned. There are plenty. Nicky butt. Gary Neville. Michael Carrick. Someone you can build a project around.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Someone who Unites the players and the fans. With a real philosophy for the game. Make it entertaining and understand when 5 at the back with two holding midfielders is appropriate while also getting that 5 or 7 attacking players should be used at other appropriate times.

Most importantly Though, someone who genuinely gives his all. Understands his limitations and exploits his strengths. Cares for the fans and celebrates with us after a win (ala Southgate geeing the crowd with his famous air bunches at the end of a match.....anyone seen any passion like that recently). Also, accepts responsibility for defeat when he should.

All in All, a genuine football bloke. I'd go for a relatively recently retired player as mentioned. There are plenty. Nicky butt. Gary Neville. Michael Carrick. Someone you can build a project around.

It sounds to me as though you are talking about Jonathan Woodgate.

If he fits all that criteria then no problem. If he is happy to play entertaining football, get what the fans want, accept responsibility for dog awful decisions, be willing to change if need be. Then yeah bring if on.

People are writing him off as being one of pulis' cronies. I don't care as long as he delivers what we want.

I judged pulis before he joined because he has previous. Woody doesn't so no preconceptions from me.

If he fits all that criteria then no problem. If he is happy to play entertaining football, get what the fans want, accept responsibility for dog awful decisions, be willing to change if need be. Then yeah bring if on.

People are writing him off as being one of pulis' cronies. I don't care as long as he delivers what we want.

I judged pulis before he joined because he has previous. Woody doesn't so no preconceptions from me.

Agreed. I think he would be a breath of fresh air.

I'm gonna say the same as last week, I think Pulis is beyond the point of no return for me. I don't want to watch this brand of football anymore and I'll be glad when he's gone.

I said last season and earlier this season I'd tolerate negative football in the short term if it gets us promoted, however after watching us for the last few months Id rather be a mid table team and watch some half decent football.

I hope Gibson is thinking ahead for next season now and for a season without Pulis. By all means let him trim the squad and wage bill but I wouldn't be spending any money on transfer fees.

The home form since September is indefensible and it's on par with teams in the bottom 3.

Ok, we are still in the top 6 but most of us don't go to the away games, we want to see some football and/or results at home and we don't get either.

There's absolutely no way I can justify paying £400+ for a season ticket next season and I think the drop in ST sales is going to go through the floor unless we make some changes as a club.

I agree with you on just about everything however Pulis "trimming the wage bill" frightens the poo out of me. He's basically going to get rid of any footballers and so will make it so much more difficult for the next guy left with his cloggers.

Yeah I suppose you're right, all I was thinking is that I'm not really bothered about selling any of this squad. I'd like to keep Fry, Wing and Tav, other than that I wouldn't be upset to lose anyone else.

I would keep Randolph, Fry, Ayala, Wing, Tavernier, Mikel, and maybe Britt if the next manager will play to his strengths. I think I would gamble on Fletcher coming good as well.

Depending on what the demands are. If we want to develop players and incorporate more youth I would suggest Kasper Hjulman from Denmark. Probably the best coach in Denmark when it comes to youth development. And he plays some really beautiful football. Has a bit of experience from the Bundesliga but wasn’t given any time to change the club.  He needs time though. If Pulis, god forbid, is actually going to be DoF then he could be a perfect foil. He is a manager all players love. A tad naive maybe but he is mostly operating without a budget so has make the most of what he has and can find on the cheap.

Was about to write this, so I can agree instead ;)

Would any of you be happy with Woodgate and/or Downing as manager(s)?

Absolutely not, would we even be considering it if they weren't local lads? I'd rather just find the best man for the job rather than someone who's a Middlesbrough lad.

I wonder how many of Woodgates ex clubs would consider appointing him as a manager apart from us.

Would any of you be happy with Woodgate and/or Downing as manager(s)?

Wouldn't be opposed to Woodgate. Don't see what he has personally done that makes people dislike him.

As a player (when fit) he was awesome. Have no idea how managing will suit him but we can say that about all former players.

Downing....not sure he is ready to hang up his boots yet. Pretty sure he doesn't have his qualifications either. Otherwise, same things apply. Was a really good player. Has worked under some decent managers. should be given a chance to manager somewhere if that's what he wants to do.

I'd love us to try something like Derby have with Frank Lampard. I'd love to see an ex player with fire in their belly who brings passion and commitment. I don't mind a slow build project, I just want to feel as though our team is working towards something and that we're all in it together.

Woodgate has experience coaching with the youth groups and the first team at Boro. He's worked in scouting and has played under some excellent managers.

None of this makes him a guaranteed success, of course, but I think it's unfair to suggest it would simply be a 'jobs for the boys' appointment IF he was given the manager position.

He has more coaching experience than Lampard did before this season, for example.

Not that he'd be my choice at the moment either way.

I wouldn't mind trying Woodgate, he wouldn't be my numero uno choice but if he was appointed I wouldn't be averse to it. As Tom said, he's trained our youth groups, he's scouted, he's worked with the first team... He's played under some amazing managers in some quite frankly ridiculous teams.

He also took charge of that 5-0 win against Hartlepool in pre-season. I know it's only Pools but we ran that game start to finish. We played plenty of youngsters - Chapman, Mahmutovic, Fry, Tav, Wing, Wood. Fletcher and Britt both started UP FRONT. Not one on the wing.

Woodgate could also read a game like nobody else I've ever watched on a football pitch. I think he has a real eye for it.

Downing would be completely inexperienced and (probably, but you never know how people will react) out of his depth to throw him in charge of a top Championship side. It's a no from me on that one.

Woodgate might be a good coach and he was a talented player (even if he ***ed his career up the wall), but neither of these things mean he's gonna be a good manager.

He has no track record of managing a team, no experience of dealing in the transfer market etc. It's a complete stab in the dark about whether he'll be good enough. Some of the positive things I hear about him were the same things I heard people saying about Agnew.

When Pulis goes we're going to have the widest divide we've ever had a***st our fanbase and a huge drop in season ticket sales. We need a replacement with a bit of charisma and someone who can get the fans excited again. Woodgate doesn't strike me as being that type of person and I still think if he was born in London or Manchester he wouldn't even be at the club now.

Being a local lad means absolutely nothing to me, some of our best players and managers have had no connection to the town before coming here. I don't think Woodgate is a particularly popular person on Teesside either, this is hardly Mowbray we're talking about.

Woodgate might be a good coach and he was a talented player (even if he *** his career up the wall), but neither of these things mean he's gonna be a good manager.

He has no track record of managing a team, no experience of dealing in the transfer market etc. It's a complete stab in the dark about whether he'll be good enough. Some of the positive things I hear about him were the same things I heard people saying about Agnew.

When Pulis goes we're going to have the widest divide we've ever had a***st our fanbase and a huge drop in season ticket sales. We need a replacement with a bit of charisma and someone who can get the fans excited again. Woodgate doesn't strike me as being that type of person and I still think if he was born in London or Manchester he wouldn't even be at the club now.

Being a local lad means absolutely nothing to me, some of our best players and managers have had no connection to the town before coming here. I don't think Woodgate is a particularly popular person on Teesside either, this is hardly Mowbray we're talking about.

No one has actually said he is their number one choice. Though it would be strange for a person to suggest we should go for a recently retired top pro and not include him in the mix.

I'm all for a Carrick, Neville or butt type but I have to include Woodgate in that. Player ability wise he was right up there with them imo. You rarely get a move to real Madrid for being average.

And as previously stated, all appointments of this ilk are risks. But we'd be taking no more of a risk than derby or rangers have with their two "superstar" managers.

However, I do understand people preferring a manager who has form for getting teams promoted. I'd happily take a jokanovic or Wagner. Just not a Bruce or Sam or pardew.