oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Honestly, after seeing the state of the last two windows I just desperately don't want to see us p*** away what precious little financial muscle we still have in this division. Bin off the Saville deal and save £7m for the Summer when the options will be far more plentiful.

Why not play some academy kids or get a tune out of what we've already got - seriously, are we going to buy someone with more potential than Tavernier? Better than Braithwaite? Quicker than Fletcher? Maybe, but why not try that front three - pace for days plus they're sat there waiting to play already. Or even two either side of Hugill and sacrifice a defensive mid.

If we can make some savvy loans or find a couple of lower league gems, then great - go for it. But any player we scout as a viable option will need to choose us over Villa, Derby, WBA, Stoke, and Leeds who will probably all want him too.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to happen this window ... If you were a pacy attacking forward would want to play in front of a midfield that can't score and struggles to pass the ball forward , anchored by a midfielder in Clayton whose first instinct is to recycle the ball to a defender.

I know I always back Downing but sad thing is that he is still our best midfielder and therein lies the problem.

Villa smashed us because they played at pace all the way through the park , not just up top. Derby the same although we at least managed to nick a draw. I agree that you could have put all of Villas front 3 on the pitch in a red shirt and we wouldn't have won that game as they would have been feeding off long balls punted in their vague direction from Batth , Flint and Clayton

I don't think we'll be throwing big money around in January, well not unless we could bring in funds from sales.

I'm expecting a couple of older players who are not getting games elsewhere on loan, the likes of Puncheon.

I don't think the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea will loan us young attacking players like they have done with Derby. Those types of players would come here and be coached how to keep their shape and how to defend rather than express themselves in forward areas.

I won't mind. Even though he is Danish, I can't find any excuses for his lack of performance recently.

As a Dane it is a little sad, that the best Danish player ever in Boro has been freaking Mikkel Beck :D

Viktor Fischer the worst.

It's not an excuse as such but I think it comes down to the 'fact' that he doesn't want to play this type of football for this manager.  He obviously wanted out in the summer and we were obviously willing to let him go but we couldn't get our own business done so he had to stay.

I actually quite like him, I think he's a decent player but he's wasted in this team really.  If he's not going to be used and he's not all that happy then it would be better for both parties if he left.

There is a lot of truth to this and I don't think Pulis particularly likes him. MB said last january that the team wouldn't get enough out of him playing as a defensive winger with too much emphasis on defending, which was one of the main reasons he went to France. He came back, worked hard and had a great start to the season playing off Britt with more attacking responsibilities. Pulis has since reverted to his usual defence first tactics which has had a negative impact on our attacking players. MB has even tried to speak fondly of Pulis in public but I think both parties will be very happy to part ways. Pulis can then go ahead and replace him with Puncheon.

MB is very good when given responsibilities up front, which he has also shown with Denmark this year, but in his own words he is not worth the money if he is supposed to play as a defensive winger. If get bids over 6 million then we need to cut our losses. Sadly enough that won't even pay for Saville.

I don't think we'll be throwing big money around in January, well not unless we could bring in funds from sales.

I'm expecting a couple of older players who are not getting games elsewhere on loan, the likes of Puncheon.

I don't think the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea will loan us young attacking players like they have done with Derby. Those types of players would come here and be coached how to keep their shape and how to defend rather than express themselves in forward areas.

Is pulis really that bad a coach?

Take braithwaite had a poor World Cup so couldn’t get a move before the start of the season.

Started doing what pulis was telling him to do and looked a different player for us at the start of the season until he stopped after not getting a move in the window.

Take braithwaite had a poor World Cup so couldn’t get a move before the start of the season.

Started doing what pulis was telling him to do and looked a different player for us at the start of the season until he stopped after not getting a move in the window.

He did well when he was allowed to play as an attacker and started to decline when he was shunted out on the wing again with too many defensive responsibilities. The exact same situation as last january where he said that we wouldn't get enough out of him playing like that. He's been pretty clear about that. Play him as a defensive winger and get little value for money.

He did well when he was allowed to play as an attacker and started to decline when he was shunted out on the wing again with too many defensive responsibilities. The exact same situation as last january where he said that we wouldn't get enough out of him playing like that. He's been pretty clear about that. Play him as a defensive winger and get little value for money.

But at the start of the season he was doing he’s defensive responsibilities and looked a far better player for it. When we didn’t have the ball he was closing players down and tracking back then busting a gut to get up and support the striker when we got the ball back. He’s stopped doing that and now looks like a player we will lose a lot of money on. That’s down to braithwaites attitude not pulis.

But at the start of the season he was doing he’s defensive responsibilities and looked a far better player for it. When we didn’t have the ball he was closing players down and tracking back then busting a gut to get up and support the striker when we got the ball back. He’s stopped doing that and now looks like a player we will lose a lot of money on. That’s down to braithwaites attitude not pulis.

He hasn't been asked to play the same role for the most part.  The period you mentioned he was closer to Britt but dropping back.  When he has played more recently it's very much as a left sided player and as we saw on the weekend they spend more time behind the ball than ahead of it.  So I suspect it's a combination of the two, Braithwaite not wanting to be here and Pulis not wanting him here either.  I can only guess but I think he'd been told he could go at the end of the window on the basis that the club thought we'd bring someone in, we failed to do that and put a stop to him moving.  I don't think I'd be happy in that situation especially when you know you're going to be asked to play in a way that doesn't suit you and you simply don't want to do.  There's no excuse for a lack of effort though.

He hasn't been asked to play the same role for the most part.  The period you mentioned he was closer to Britt but dropping back.  When he has played more recently it's very much as a left sided player and as we saw on the weekend they spend more time behind the ball than ahead of it.  So I suspect it's a combination of the two, Braithwaite not wanting to be here and Pulis not wanting him here either.  I can only guess but I think he'd been told he could go at the end of the window on the basis that the club thought we'd bring someone in, we failed to do that and put a stop to him moving.  I don't think I'd be happy in that situation especially when you know you're going to be asked to play in a way that doesn't suit you and you simply don't want to do.  There's no excuse for a lack of effort though.

He was dropped while we where still playing the same formation he had done so well in. That’s why I’d say it’s more to do with he’s attitude than where he’s been asked to play.

Braithwaite's had 3 roles under Pulis he had the 'free' role for a few games where he was free to drift in from the left and get close to Britt like vs Birmingham, he's had the 10 role maybe 1-2 times at most and then he's had the role of LM like he's Marc Albrighton getting up and down keeping width and getting the ball with 10 players in front of him.

Feel for him personally we signed a second striker type creator for big money with an idea to play him off Britt even Monk didn't fancy that since he had a fetish for strikers out wide then in comes Pulis who's never had a 10 in his life he even converted Chadli to a wider player at WBA to accommodate.

People saying we'll get rid of x y and z we could have gotten rid of Fletcher and Chapman on loans on deadline day yet Pulis pulled the plug on them at the very last minute we've seen them maybe twice each since then not so I'm not sure he knows what he's doing with the squad with outgoing yet alone incomings. Signingg Saville to play in Clayton/Howson's position shows that, he's another one I feel for people are rightfully questioning Saville because every time except for the Hull game he's been dropped to a deep midfield role where he tries to spread the ball and looks awful doing it our transfer policy lost me 2 years ago but the new policy of signing players like McNair and Saville then playing them in roles that they weren't playing at the clubs we signed them from blows my mind.

What do we have and what do we need?

Goalkeeper: Randolph (Arguably the best in the league) Back up is ok with the youngsters out on loan returning, when Dimi puts the boots in the closet.

RB: Shotton is the best option, so we definitely need a challenger for that spot. One who can play as a WB too. Tav's brother is a good shout.

CB's: We have plenty in Ayala, Flint, Batth, Fry and Shotton, Friend as back ups.

LB: Friend is the best option and we clearly need a good competition on that position too. Jonas Knudsen from Ipswich is a good shout. That throw in, wooow!

CM's: Again we have plenty and I would actually throw Downing in there too. His experience is valuable and I would like to see, if he could spread some passes from the middle of the park. I think he could be better than Howson. If, and that's a big if, Downing works fine in that position, I would play him and Clayton often paired with either Wing, Saville, Besic or Howson. Still I would send back Besic and Saville and go for Dack or better (if possible)

RM: Brait, Fletcher, Tav and Downing can play there and Tav is the best shout for me. His goal against Preston came from a good run in that position. We need clearly a really good RM/W with pace and a cross in the bag.

LM: Same as under RM!

Some days I would play with a number 10 and here is Braithwaite the best option. He plays well, in that position, which is his natural position and he can bring something good from there, playing of a striker. I would love to see him and Fletcher start a game together up front. We could use a good pacey AM, who could cover the wings as well. (Edit) After reading Jamie's post, I would also consider playing Saville in his natural position as an AM, not a DM.

ST: Hugill is getting better and if he keeps going up, he might end up as a poor mans Giroud. I would give more minutes to Fletcher, who scores for fun in the cup. Britt is not my cup of tea (I was tempted to write black tea, but I behaved) as he has none to little skill with the ball. I think he is only good, if played together with another striker. Gestede should be sold.

So most important is RB, LB, RM, LM and then playing people we have in the RIGHT positions. Round holes ain't working with square pegs...

There must be good options abroad.. Could we at least have a look, dear scouts.

He was dropped while we where still playing the same formation he had done so well in. That’s why I’d say it’s more to do with he’s attitude than where he’s been asked to play.

Strictly speaking he was dropped for the Leeds and Norwich games where we changed the shape and became more defensive.  Britt up front on his own, four in midfield - Besic, Howson, Clayton and Downing and then 5 at the back.  So he wasn't dropped while we were playing the same formation really.  When he came back into the side, which I think was Bolton at home, he was up front again although alongside Hugill this time but he again played well in a lousy overall performance.  In fact he was just about our only decent player on the night along with Howson if I remember rightly.  He played the next game, then was dropped and since that point has been in and out of the side but when he's been in the side it's tended to be out on the left.  So in that sense it can't simply be down to attitude although that doesn't mean that attitude isn't playing a part and as I've said I think it's clear that he doesn't want to be here.

Saw today Britt averages a goal for us every 210 minutes .. so ofc the rumours for Jan are starting and it looks like we're going to try and sell him. Better make sure we keep hold of Gestede and Fletcher tho!

For Jan I'd do my best to pie off Saville, do whatever it takes, so we don't have to pay 7 million. Do everything in my power to get rid of Gestede, Fletch, Leadbitter (remember him?) and Braitwaite .

I like the look of Emiliano and Canos at Brentford, have to be better choices than the likes of Puncheon.