oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Oh are people criticising assombalonga going to be in for a shock when he goes to a team that doesn’t play 5 at the back and 4 central midfielders at home and he scores 20-25 next season in the championship

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

You all know Downing is likely to get a new contract, right?

if he does then my dwindling support and respect for Gibson ends.

2.5x Championship (35K per week)  =  £4.5M

1x Premier League (70K per week) = £3.6M

+£7M transfer fee  

Total = £15.1M

9 League goals = £1.67M   per goal.

Or

16 League Assists = £944K  per assist.

Or

25 (G & A’s) = £604K per.

At least we can’t complain we haven’t had value for money from Stewy D.  I’m with Pulis when he wishes we have 11 Stewart Downings.

Oh are people criticising assombalonga going to be in for a shock when he goes to a team that doesn’t play 5 at the back and 4 central midfielders at home and he scores 20-25 next season in the championship

He scored goals for Forest who finished nowhere in the championship. Fair enough if anyone thinks he can lead a team to promotion, I disagree.

i wouldn’t be surprised if he does. The issue for me is that he scores a huge percentage vs teams in the bottom 6-8 (I think someone posted his distribution a while back). Even so, he is clearly our best striker at the moment but only if you play him correctly - play an attacking midfielder (or 2) behind him and play through balls behind the defence - he is a great 1v1 finisher.

On the point of strikers goal returns, 3 of Hugill's 4 goals have come against Wigan and Ipswich we're going into the 2nd half of the season now we all agree at this point it would be madness to take the option on him in the summer right?

We have to start taking emotion out of the decisions at the top of the football club if his name was Jiordan Hugille and he was a 7 million option loan signing from Spain we'd be calling for his loan to be terminated now shouldn't be no different just because he used to work the bar at the ***ens.

Pretty much every striker scores more vs teams in the bottom 8 I reckon

Of course but the best strikers also contribute against the better teams in the league.

It's like the Jordon Rhodes argument again, if you rated a player on just goals versus games then Britt is one of the best strikers in the league. There's more to judging a player though.

I think he will score goals consistently at this level, my argument is that he's not good enough to play for a team that plays one up from which most teams do nowadays.

I also can't see him playing consistently for a team that gets promoted out of this division.

Of course but the best strikers also contribute against the better teams in the league.

It's like the Jordon Rhodes argument again, if you rated a player on just goals versus games then Britt is one of the best strikers in the league. There's more to judging a player though.

I think he will score goals consistently at this level, my argument is that he's not good enough to play for a team that plays one up from which most teams do nowadays.

I also can't see him playing consistently for a team that gets promoted out of this division.

Can't disagree more. You don't have to be a target man to play up top on your own. There's tons of strikers kicking around that have similar attributes to Britt doing fine, the difference is they generally have the correct (or even just any other attacking players for a start) players around them. Absolutely any striker we buy is going to struggle in a Pulis team.

"Striker Luke Armstrong has returned from loan at Gateshead and signed a new contract with the club.

The 22-year-old scored 10 goals in 18 appearances for the Heed and has proved a vital part of their striking armoury.

The striker has been rewarded for his rich vein of form with a new deal and is now likely to continue his development with a further loan move."

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/luke-armstrong-signs-new-boro-deal

"Striker Luke Armstrong has returned from loan at Gateshead and signed a new contract with the club.

The 22-year-old scored 10 goals in 18 appearances for the Heed and has proved a vital part of their striking armoury.

The striker has been rewarded for his rich vein of form with a new deal and is now likely to continue his development with a further loan move."

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/luke-armstrong-signs-new-boro-deal

I imagine they will be looking for a league club for him to step up with. Good for the lad.

Can't disagree more. You don't have to be a target man to play up top on your own. There's tons of strikers kicking around that have similar attributes to Britt doing fine, the difference is they generally have the correct (or even just any other attacking players for a start) players around them. Absolutely any striker we buy is going to struggle in a Pulis team.

I didn't say you have to be a target man to play up front on your own, but I think if you are playing one up front you need your striker to do a job for the team which he doesn't.

If you put Gaston Ramirez, Knockaert and Sessegnon in a 3 behind him at this level I think he'd look better but he'd still have the same limitations as well.

This isn't even about Pulis or his system, I just don't think Britt is all that great.

i wouldn’t be surprised if he does. The issue for me is that he scores a huge percentage vs teams in the bottom 6-8 (I think someone posted his distribution a while back). Even so, he is clearly our best striker at the moment but only if you play him correctly - play an attacking midfielder (or 2) behind him and play through balls behind the defence - he is a great 1v1 finisher.

Sorry Bud but Britt is definitely not a great 1v1 finisher, I'd argue thats one of his worst traits, the fact he is absolutely god awful when 1v1. Whenever he has time to think about his finishes, he seems to fluff it, when its instinctive he is much better.

I think Britt is a better Jordan Rhodes, more mobile with slightly better ball control.

He will always score goals but ultimately not strong enough, quick enough, clever enough or clinical enough to make it at the top level.

I agree that he can’t lead a line, he doesn’t take responsibility and will always need someone up there with him who does.

If he was to play for example in a 2 with wickham that’s the only way we will see the best of him as pulis clearly isn’t going back to Britt and braithwaite up front no matter how well they did.