oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Agree with the comments about Merson in footballing terms but I still feel a player in the ilk of John Hendrie and Paul Wilkinson would not come amiss.

Both of the above would do more than hold their own in this current Boro team and probably would improve them

Ps Morning John up early?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I am indeed Alan.

John Hendrie would be very handy in this team! Imagine. Brains, movement, determination and a cracking shot.

Anyhow, more Despedov media links this morning. Not another Tarmi Kink I hope...

GK - Schwarzer

RB - Fredericks

CB - Festa

CB - Gibson

LB - Friend

CM - Mustoe

CM - Hignett

AM - Merson

RF - Traore

CF - Branca

LF - Ramirez

Tough on the likes of Woody, Pearson, Adomah and Ricard - but that'd be my team of us outside the top flight during the Premier League era.

Honourable mentions also to the likes of Uwe Fuchs, John Hendrie and Paul Wilkinson.

Jesus we've struggled with Right Backs for a looooong time...

I reckon Ramirez was a better player too.

Yeah I'd agree with that as well.

Same. He came in from barely playing at Soton that season and instantly looked a class above the rest of the league. Best I've seen for us in a long old time now. Shame he was a (insert your favourite insult here).

It wouldn't be better for Traore if he came back here but it might be better for us.  He'd be better off staying where he is and learning how to be a top level professional footballer otherwise his career will end up being a disappointment in comparison to what it could be.

I think this is probably right. He was successful here because Pulis essentially told him to just go out and do his thing (within reason), if he came back he'd be left to do exactly the same thing. That wouldn't be bad for us at all but Adama has a natural ability that I've not seen many, if any, times before when he's on the ball, if he can stay at a club that is willing to put a lot of time in to develop the other sides of his game then he can go a lot further than he ever could with us.

But I'd still love him back, if only to provide a bit of much need entertainment and excitement.

GK - Schwarzer

RB - Fredericks

CB - Festa

CB - Gibson

LB - Friend

CM - Mustoe

CM - Hignett

AM - Merson

RF - Traore

CF - Branca

LF - Ramirez

Tough on the likes of Woody, Pearson, Adomah and Ricard - but that'd be my team of us outside the top flight during the Premier League era.

Honourable mentions also to the likes of Uwe Fuchs, John Hendrie and Paul Wilkinson.

Jesus we've struggled with Right Backs for a looooong time...

Would it be wrong to mention Adam Johnson :s. He was great for that half season. I think Barry Robson was also a positive light in a dark age for supporting Boro.

Ramirez was far too good for the second tier. His goal against Bournemouth in the PL season remains the best individual goal I've ever seen from a Boro player. I'm really not sure how we managed to sign him after we'd spent several seasons in the Championship - it's not like we had deeper pockets than all the other clubs at that stage.

I think it was probably something to do with his career going down the toilet with Southampton. Even his spell at Hull wasn't anything to shout about. Makes it all the more frustrating how quickly he wanted to jump ship after we'd spent so much time trying to negotiate him out of his own pre-contract agreement with Penarol. The fact he had that move set up to begin with was within itself an acceptance of where he sat in the game, now he's an Italian top flight player again and we played a big part in that.

obviously as name implies, I have watched Boro for many years, but cannot agree with inflated opinion of Merson, he had skill, but no heart and disappeared too often when it mattered....a British Emerson.....as an ancient relic, I have been lucky enough to see at least five players superior in skill and heart not playing in top flight, any one of whom would probably walk into current squad...Murdoch, Souness, Craig Johnston, Gascoigne and Gary Hamilton....Mersonary is how many referred to the guy and although talented, he was just Ramirez Mk 1....but if he was available now and we could afford him, I would take him till end of season ...with a minder :)

obviously as name implies, I have watched Boro for many years, but cannot agree with inflated opinion of Merson, he had skill, but no heart and disappeared too often when it mattered....a British Emerson.....as an ancient relic, I have been lucky enough to see at least five players superior in skill and heart not playing in top flight, any one of whom would probably walk into current squad...Murdoch, Souness, Craig Johnston, Gascoigne and Gary Hamilton....Mersonary is how many referred to the guy and although talented, he was just Ramirez Mk 1....but if he was available now and we could afford him, I would take him till end of season ...with a minder :)

Gazza was a genius and the best English footballer I've ever seen but playing for us he was well past his best.

I don't like Merson for the way he left us and bad mouthed the club for years but during that promotion season he was streets ahead of Gazza.

Marco Branca was also far too good for our level. He only played a handful of games due to injury, but I don't think we've had a finisher like him since, maybe with the exception of Jimmy Floyd.