oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

I know it is taking things to the extreme but in a way the powers that be are influencing team selection to a degree due to the Downing situation.

Did we not have a similar situation with Gary O'Neill where we had to stretch out his last game for us due to other factors kicking into place?

Don't think a Chairman interfering with team selection/signing players the manager doesn't want has ever worked or will ever work. I just wonder who Karanka had in mind and we didn't sign to instead buy Downing and Rhodes, 2 massive underachievers considering their price tag. 

The next 10 days determine the next few years for the club

Should we sign some difference makers to change our team and mount a promotion push and go up then we become the Pulis team in the prem, which many won't mind I'm sure but not for me

We sign no one and somehow make it to the play offs to then lose in the semi final again and Pulis signs a contract extension and we relive Groundhog day

We sign no one, finish outside of the play offs, sack Pulis, half the staff and then flog some of the overpaid players that don't even play. Make an astute appointment to rebuild and freshen up the club and back them financially or we make an effective cost appointment and go into cost reduction mode for the next 5+ seasons.

Didn’t karanka want McCormack instead of Rhodes?

He did, he also asked for four Premier league players in his last transfer window and got three championship players, it certainly looks like the rumours Gibson likes to stick his oar in on transfers has foundations

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-middlesbrough-derby-eyeing-norwich-attacker

EXCLUSIVE: Middlesbrough, Derby eyeing Norwich attacker

Date published: Monday 21st January 2019 9:51

A host of clubs are ready to take forward Nelson Oliveira off Norwich’s hands, we can reveal.

The Canaries are looking to move on the Portuguese international – who is understood to be the club’s highest earner following his move from Benfica in 2016.

The 27-year-old has scored 19 goals in 65 league appearances for Norwich and has also been capped 17 times for Portugal.

Middlesbrough, Derby, Huddersfield and Burnley are a***st the clubs keen – whilst there is also interest from Turkey.

Meanwhile, West Ham have joined several clubs, including Boro, in the chase for Sunderland’s contract rebel Josh Maja

I actually like Oliveira but he's no better than Britt and is far less of a worker too so can't see how Pulis gets anything from him.

I'd put him as similar to Bamford in style and Pulis couldn't wait to get shot of him.

I know it is taking things to the extreme but in a way the powers that be are influencing team selection to a degree due to the Downing situation.

Did we not have a similar situation with Gary O'Neill where we had to stretch out his last game for us due to other factors kicking into place?

Don't think a Chairman interfering with team selection/signing players the manager doesn't want has ever worked or will ever work.

I think the only way this does work (and also the way a club should be run in my opinion) is if there is a "board" who have a clear vision and strategy for the club - what the style will be and what kind of players will be signed. The manager, ie head coach, is selected by the same "board" to fit the philosophy they are and have implemented(ing). There should be no concept of a manager shaping the club in the way that is the accepted commonplace tday. In terms of input on transfers, the head coach should be included in discussions about the identified targets. There are more than enough qualified managers in the world and more than enough information, to a huge scale, on them to be able to find one that fits the bill.

This is from Graeme Bailey. Sadly it's spot on. He's not been offered a new deal! The club is a complete mess.

Middlesbrough's treatment of Stewart Downing is shocking. Didn't talk to player before forcing Tony Pulis not to start him. Club made no attempt to approach him in previous months and haven't even asked him about re-negotiating his deal. He deserves better.

This is from Graeme Bailey. Sadly it's spot on. He's not been offered a new deal! The club is a complete mess.

Middlesbrough's treatment of Stewart Downing is shocking. Didn't talk to player before forcing Tony Pulis not to start him. Club made no attempt to approach him in previous months and haven't even asked him about re-negotiating his deal. He deserves better.

What is going on Lurker? Do you have any snippets of why we are in such a mess or what is going on/planned.

Every player deserves to be treated with respect like any other employee. Especially a home grown talent that hasn't kicked up a fuss even when Monk tried to force him out. That said he doesn't deserve a new deal. Certainly not a longer deal unless he is willing to take a huge wagecut the next 5 months in order to make an additional year financially viable. The club could definately have handled this in a much better way, but I sense that Bailey is firmly on Downings side so there is probably a dose of bias mixed in there.

The lad over on Come on Boro tends to be right about things and he reckons he has been offered a new deal.  He also suggested that Downing was whinging about it or words to that effect.  Hopefully he won't have been offered a new deal but I reckon he has in some form.

I wouldn't really be surprised if it was some of our other players, but I always got the impression that Gibson and Downing had a close relationship.  I can't see them not having a discussion about it.