oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Looks like West Brom have beat us to Murphy. Annoying this as we've been pursuing him all window.

Hope this isn’t yet another example of gambling on one player (adama) and missing out on getting anyone in. Also if wolves do loan cavaliero to Leeds I can’t see how that does our chances of getting Traore any favours at all.

This has all the hallmarks of another Jesé situation. We will be left hoping we can come to an agreement with Downing :(

In fairness to the recruitment team (and I don't take their side often), the Jesé situation was a bit unfortunate, and not really the 'eggs in one basket' situation that it is remembered as.

We actually had Bojan, Jesé, Deulofeu and Snodgrass all in our sights, and all fell through for one reason or another. Yes, they may have been unrealistic targets, but I don't think it was ever a case of just pursuing one player, and hopefully it's the same case this time.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Traore has a reasonable chance of ending up here again.

I know there has been some talk that the clubs have talked and that he really wants to come. It just sounds a bit unrealistic to me as he is in all their squads and is getting quite a lot of game time. Granted that could change if they bring in someone new but it’s not like they are knee deep in attackers. I hope he comes but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I don't think that he fits in with them at all and he's not really someone that you can make fit.  He was ideal for Pulis as he could pick a most defensive side and then have Traore carrying the attack and just doing his thing.  Pulis didn't get more out of him, he just got exactly what Traore does but put him in a team that was built to let him do that.  Anyone that wants to play football in a more complicated way, as Wolves do, might struggle to find a spot for him where he can slot in within a game plan.  That's how I look at it anyway.  He needs to learn that and then he will be a very dangerous player and he can go on to have a great career.

In fairness to the recruitment team (and I don't take their side often), the Jesé situation was a bit unfortunate, and not really the 'eggs in one basket' situation that it is remembered as.

We actually had Bojan, Jesé, Deulofeu and Snodgrass all in our sights, and all fell through for one reason or another. Yes, they may have been unrealistic targets, but I don't think it was ever a case of just pursuing one player, and hopefully it's the same case this time.

From what I remember, Snodgrass was only ever a back up option and by the time we made a serious attempt to sign him it was effectively too late.  Karanka wanted Bojan despite the fact that it was clear he wasn't coming.  Jese was a bad idea from the start and we were better off without him.  Again though, another player who didn't really want to be here but who Karanka wanted.

From what I remember, Snodgrass was only ever a back up option and by the time we made a serious attempt to sign him it was effectively too late.  Karanka wanted Bojan despite the fact that it was clear he wasn't coming.  Jese was a bad idea from the start and we were better off without him.  Again though, another player who didn't really want to be here but who Karanka wanted.

At 1 point or another during that window, all 4 of them had intimated that they'd be coming here. We weren't chasing down a blind alley for any of them. We didn't move quickly enough to conclude any of the deals as 1 by 1 the moved away from us because we were dithering, the selling clubs were waiting. 

From what I remember it was;

Deulofeu

Bojan

Jese

Snodgrass

In that order. 

As soon as 1 of them had gone we moved onto the next, we were trying for 2 out of these 4 though.

Are we trying anything now? Hope we have learned from past mistakes and get deals done instead of dithering and waiting for the perfect deal until there is no time left.

That's not how I understand it. Bojan was never coming here because of Stoke, Jese was never coming here because he didn't want to. Snodgrass is the one we'd made most progress with personally but he was at the back of our list so we didn't make a move for him and by the time we did there were other clubs in for him.

That's not how I understand it.  Bpjan was never coming here because of Stoke, Jese was never coming here because he didn't want to.  Snodgrass is the one we'd made most progress with personally but he was at the back of our list so we didn't make a move for him and by the time we did there were other clubs in for him.

Deals were there to be done for them all and we didn't get them done. 

Karanka was told, personally by a couple of them, the club the others, that they were coming. It was a complete farce. We f*cked it right up, it was the beginning of the end for Karanka. 

IMO, it's been massively downhill for us since then and the worst transfer window we'll have.

That's not how I understand it.  Bpjan was never coming here because of Stoke, Jese was never coming here because he didn't want to.  Snodgrass is the one we'd made most progress with personally but he was at the back of our list so we didn't make a move for him and by the time we did there were other clubs in for him.

Deals were there to be done for them all and we didn't get them done. 

Karanka was told, personally by a couple of them, the club the others, that they were coming. It was a complete farce. We f*cked it right up, it was the beginning of the end for Karanka. 

IMO, it's been massively downhill for us since then and the worst transfer window we'll have.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this then.  Bojan was willing to come here but only on loan and Stoke weren't willing to loan him to us so there was no possibility of a deal getting done for him unless you're saying different?  Jese could have told Karanka anything but he wanted to go back to Spain (and thankfully he did as he is a complete waster).  The fact that we were even interested in him is a knock on Karanka and if someone at our club stopped a deal from happening then they absolutely did their job and should be given a pat on the back.  Snodgrass was interested in coming here but he was a back up option to the players Karanka wanted.  By the time we made a serious move for him there were other clubs in for him and he chose West Ham.

From all the noises coming out at the time it was very clear that Jesé only wanted to move back to Las Palmas. Our only hope was that they couldn’t match our bid. He waited until the absolute last minute to get the move he wanted. Didn’t he even take a pay cut to join his boyhood club? Didn’t at all seem like he had any real interest in coming here. As CT said it was also very public that Stoke didn’t want to loan him to a Prem rival. That said a lot of other things could have gone on behind the scenes.

Well it’s not long go before the window closes and I find it strange we have not made an impact on Pulis requirement. There will be speculation as to why and it may not be favorable.

To be fair we have got a winger and Pulis clearly wanted Mikel as well.

It was obvious that window caused Karankas melt down, he thought the team wasn’t good enough and was banking on January. Not only did we get no decent talent in but Pretty much lost Gaston also.

It was obvious that window caused Karankas melt down, he thought the team wasn’t good enough and was banking on January. Not only did we get no decent talent in but Pretty much lost Gaston also.

I think Karanka can cause his own mate tbh.

Are we trying anything now? Hope we have learned from past mistakes and get deals done instead of dithering and waiting for the perfect deal until there is no time left.

the players wont decide until the very last moment

Best transfer window ever - I see what Pulis meant about needing this window to get the squad he needs, he meant "more lies and Bs to deflect the fact he's clueless" is there any other manager anywhere in any league or any country who plays such dross garbage as his "revolutionary style"?

Obviously we benefit from his financial reconstruction, medical overhaul and youth Academy improvements and I'm eternally grateful for that but Mikel? If we had an attack but needed steel in the midfield I'd probably be pretty impressed with his signing but we don't and yes I'd like to see Traore back but if I remember right he was slated for most of his time here, "headless chicken" was commonly used - the fact that we clamour for him back and suggest AK replaces Pulls is a sign that we are desperate - Pulis had him against Villa in the play offs and look how that panned out, another Bs window - his third too. Absolute ***.