oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Pulis obviously wants another striker bringing in. We all know that so it's likely that we're working on something regardless of what's going on with Assombalonga. Despite my misgivings it wouldn't surprise me if Wickham was still in play.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know if these are credible rumours about Britt then? Blackburn doesn't really seem like a realistic destination, I doubt they could afford £10m plus whatever wages he's on. Although they'd only end up paying £10k a week and we'd be subsidising the rest knowing us.

Do we know if these are credible rumours about Britt then?  Blackburn doesn't really seem like a realistic destination, I doubt they could afford £10m plus whatever wages he's on.  Although they'd only end up paying £10k a week and we'd be subsidising the rest knowing us.

I've not seen anything credible. But it wouldn't be a huge stretch. Britt is probably on too much money to be a reserve, and £10m would be about what I'd expect we'd sell him for. But yeah, Blackburn seems like an unlikely destination.

Its really crazy that we paid around £6 million for Gestede plus the wages he’s been on for the past two years. We also paid £3.5 million for Guedioura. £5 million for McNair. Really doesn't install much faith thinking back to all this business we’ve done. I genuinely couldn’t think of anything worse than having Pulis in a DOF type role.

£6m and £3.5m in the prem are very low amounts really. Also we made hella profit on players sold after we got relegated so I think it's a little bit churlish to isolate these two transfers and try to throw them back in the face. Gestede without the injuries would probably have been worth the money tbh.. can't predict injuries.

McNair remains a prospect in fairness to him, and could yet prove to be a good deal - if we sold him today, we'd probably get our £5m back.

To be fair, if we replaced Britt with a Vokes like striker who can hold the ball up well and then have 2 pacey wingers plus 2 of the 3 CMs making runs passed the striker I'd be happy with that.

The problem is that we all know that will never happen, were too one dimensional and slow, I'm hoping that come Feb 1st this will be sorted, although to be honest I said the same in August and the January before that

Its really crazy that we paid around £6 million for Gestede plus the wages he’s been on for the past two years. We also paid £3.5 million for Guedioura. £5 million for McNair. Really doesn't install much faith thinking back to all this business we’ve done. I genuinely couldn’t think of anything worse than having Pulis in a DOF type role.

£6m and £3.5m in the prem are very low amounts really. Also we made hella profit on players sold after we got relegated so I think it's a little bit churlish to isolate these two transfers and try to throw them back in the face. Gestede without the injuries would probably have been worth the money tbh.. can't predict injuries.

McNair remains a prospect in fairness to him, and could yet prove to be a good deal - if we sold him today, we'd probably get our £5m back.

Retrospectively now we are pushing the cut the budget lines and that we need to reduce the outgoings - they are truly awful, awful business. Gestede is truly a poor footballer and the wage packages we offer are beyond belief, as a fan that follows the team closely its heartbreaking to see how we’ve spent so much money on dross.

Fletcher - wage and price inflated and lacks slightest bit of value.

McNair - looks petrified when ever he plays, came from Man U product line But can’t get a game at RB over playing a CB there. How many times can we say ‘oh he’s just adjusting’

Britt - £15million - Forrest must of been laughing all the way to the bank.

Saville - long way to go for him, but we said the same about Howson and he’s been awfully underwhelming.

Flint - so poor with the ball at his feet and its painful to see him slow moves from the back because of his inability to play out and be composed on the ball.

This is very critical i’ll admit but in the current situation its hard not to be - but as a season ticket holder i’m concerned about current proceedings, we’ve simply been awful in the recruitment department and we are really starting to suffer from these short comings. Does our current targets fill you with confidence going forward?

Selling Britt would be annoying, as we’d definitely take a loss on him and he is capable of getting a good number of goals in the right set up. That said, if Pulis doesn’t want to play him, he is a very expensive option to have coming off the bench. We lose our parachute payments this year and are going to need to reduce the wage bill if we don’t go up (i’d argue we have about a 5-10% chance of promotion). Selling him and bringing in a cheaper option makes sense for the club, selling him and signing a prem player like Wickham, on big wages and a 3 year contract makes zero sense unless he dramatically increases our odds of getting promoted - which he won’t because our problem is supplying chances not scoring them.

We need to be scouting the lower leagues and Europe for some decent value. Karlan Grant is off to Huddersfield who are certs for relegation, we could have been in for him. Maja would have been good, but Pulis wanted to make a point on the wages. There are options out there we just need to be a bit sharper at getting deals done.

I just will never understand the criticism of Assombalonga personally, he plays in a Pulis team the poor lad.

He had 12 goals 1 assist in 24 games under Monk’s awful regime, imagine him in any other team in the top 6 is all I’ll say

He'd get atleast 25 in a full injury free season at Blackburn

Doubt it. He has only ever had 1 season with more than 20 league goals and that was in league 1 a few years before his big injury.

Oh right, Peterborough 43 games 23 goals, Forest 65 games 36 goals.doesn't look too bad to me.

No but that’s far from “he will get at least 25 goals elsewhere in a full season”. His best season was in league 1. His time with Forest was good but still not even above 20. He is a good striker no doubt but not the best in this league. 10 million is a good price. The 15 we paid was ridiculous.

Not mentioned 25 goals, but his still a proven goal scorer at this level, and stick by what I said in a more attack minded team he'll score goals,and money's only good if you have a ready replacement, but for me anyone struggles in this set up.

I know he had a few horrible injuries but has Britt ever had a full season? Those figures are slightly better than a 1 in 2 strike rate, over the course of a season he should be hitting 25, maybe even 30 goals with those stats

Britt is a one in two striker in this league. They don't just grow on trees.

Imagine having 2 of them and selling both! Nah I can’t imagine it either nobody would be that stupid haha.

After careful thought and consideration I think that it is because Boro want to trigger Downing's contract clause, it is the only way to finance it but hey we could have an active Stewy on the pitch for another 3 seasons or so!

Yep my sadistic side is coming out