oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

After careful thought and consideration I think that it is because Boro want to trigger Downing's contract clause, it is the only way to finance it but hey we could have an active Stewy on the pitch for another 3 seasons or so!

Yep my sadistic side is coming out

Whilst I'm pretty sure that isn't true, a small part of me wants it to be just to see how people would react haha

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I just will never understand the criticism of Assombalonga personally, he plays in a Pulis team the poor lad.

He had 12 goals 1 assist in 24 games under Monk’s awful regime, imagine him in any other team in the top 6 is all I’ll say

If you look at Britt's stats from league 1, league 2 and the championship he averages a goal every 2.4 games which would make him a 19 goal a season striker which is pretty good.

I think the critics look at other parts of his game and notice certain limitations. His hold up play and touch is very poor, because of this he can't really bring other players into the game with his back to goal. His work rate isn't very good and he's not someone who can run into channels and stretch teams. In my opinion these limitations in his game mean you can't really play him up front on his own.

I think you'd get the best out of him playing a very attacking line-up with another striker just in behind him and wingers who can put crosses into the box. The question with Britt is he good enough to lead the line for a team who will challenge for promotion, I'm not sure he is.

If he is capable of getting 25 goals a season that's great but to get promoted you probably need your team to score around 70 goals, I still think you need a team player who will contribute assists and work for the team. I don't think he's good enough to warrant building a whole team around him.

It's the same debate we could have had over Jordan Rhodes a few season's ago, some people rate a striker on goals and not much else, others look at all round game.

Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would Gibson sell one of the best strikers in the league because the current manager (only got a few months left) doesn’t fancy him. It’s not like we’re going to be making a profit on him and just can’t turn the offer down.

Surely Gibson should be focusing on get rid of the dross and thinning the squad down that way rather than players that our next manager will probably be over the bloody moon with.

Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would Gibson sell one of the best strikers in the league because the current manager (only got a few months left) doesn’t fancy him.  It’s not like we’re going to be making a profit on him and just can’t turn the offer down.

Surely Gibson should be focusing on get rid of the dross and thinning the squad down that way rather than players that our next manager will probably be over the bloody moon with.

I don't believe it either. If he really was close to leaving I doubt Britt would go out and buy a house not long ago.

Get Britt some proper support and he'll score goals. I think with 2 wingers in the team it would help, but still don't think he can get the support he needs to be a 20 goal striker under Pulis.

Still not a reason to sell because he could be very useful under the next regime...

Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would Gibson sell one of the best strikers in the league because the current manager (only got a few months left) doesn’t fancy him. It’s not like we’re going to be making a profit on him and just can’t turn the offer down.

Maybe he has already discussed the situation with Jonathon Woodgate ?

:)

Anyone else like the look of Semenyo on Saturday. I searched his name and he was on loan from Bristol City who have now recalled him as they look to sell him. Chelsea have apparently offered 1 million but Bristol are looking for 2 million. Man Utd aer also thought to be interested. I thought he looked dangerous and can play across the forward line. Only 19 years old. Surely the path to the first team is easier here than Chelsea so is he someone we should be looking at? If he chooses playing time over the loan carrousel.

Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would Gibson sell one of the best strikers in the league because the current manager (only got a few months left) doesn’t fancy him.  It’s not like we’re going to be making a profit on him and just can’t turn the offer down.

:)

In one of his mumbling preseason interviews, I'm pretty sure I remember Woodgate glowing about Assombalonga. Thinking about it now, the difference between him and Pulis talking about Britt is night and day.

Keith Downie has tweeted that Sunderland are looking closely at Stephen Walker. They want two strikers in and have Will Grigg as one.

Going to a top League 1 team on loan for 4 months wouldn't be the worst move for Walker. Does seem like a step to big for someone as young as walker. Scored a hattrick for u18's against Everton in the cup at the weekend.

Look at the pre-season games Woodgate played attacking football with the mid-week team and Pulis played his normal stuff.

Hopefully if it is Woodgate to replace Pulis he'll keep playing that way.

Hopefully we can aspire to something other than either of them!

I know the club is a local club but it really needs to change it's mindset.

It feels like we operate in such a small world both from a staffing point of view and the way we do things commercially and then we try and compete with "global entities".

The last time we did something completely different (first foreign manager) look at what happened.  

We are like that guy who left his small town and went to the big city for uni and then went back to his small town afterwards.

Duvel more or less nailed it for me with his recent post. my stance with Britt is id much rather get rid of Gestede but no ones coming to our rescue it seems ,,. britt will get goals here or elsewhere at this level but he is lacking in the more sophisticated or technical areas that we seem to expect from him with our style and at times ive thought his work rate has looked questionable. id rather we didnt sell him until i see for sure a more apt replacement in place  .i can understand the financial reason but it also seems to be an area of hypocrisy  with other reports or happennings at present.  the club seems to have accrued  a lot of misty areas off pitch in recent years ....id go back to the Karanka fall out at Charlton  or the Downing or Rhodes signings as three pivotal moments .

Silly question...Britt gets goals but has limitations, and would probably score more in an attacking team, such as Villa, if we could get a striker like Abrahams in to replace him, would that be acceptable or not (unlikely, but given Villa's current position, could he be tempted?)

Silly question...Britt gets goals but has limitations, and would probably score more in an attacking team, such as Villa, if we could get a striker like Abrahams in to replace him, would that be acceptable or not (unlikely, but given Villa's current position, could he be tempted?)

As he turned down Wolves I'd say probably (definitely) not!