oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Remember heading into the window and Pulis explaining how he wanted all these fast attacking players to transform how we play? Well here we are, 2 days of the window remain and we’ve only signed one which he refuses to play ?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I can't get my head around is this:

Steve Gibson knows how to oversee a successful football club. He's been Boro's driving force for 33 years. He understands what it takes to build a squad fit for two consecutive European campaigns. We also know he likes to 'oversee' player transfers. So how have we reached January 30th in Tony Pulis's third transfer window without addressing the glaring and crippling lack of wide players in our squad?

Steve Gibson knows how to oversee a successful football club. He's been Boro's driving force for 33 years. He understands what it takes to build a squad fit for two consecutive European campaigns. We also know he likes to 'oversee' player transfers. So how have we reached January 30th in Tony Pulis's third transfer window without addressing the glaring and crippling lack of wide players in our squad?

Times have changed though. Could you imagine how much Viduka, Hasselbaink etc would cost now, let alone wages. I think Gibson will invest only to the point he is comfortable with from a business perspective. I dont blame him for it and the longer the deficiencies are ignored in the squad the more flak TP will get. I accept our home performances are turgid but I dont see how perfomances can be improved without more effective personnel, whoever the manager.

Times have changed though. Could you imagine how much Viduka, Hasselbaink etc would cost now, let alone wages. I think Gibson will invest only to the point he is comfortable with from a business perspective. I dont blame him for it and the longer the deficiencies are ignored in the squad the more flak TP will get. I accept our home performances are turgid but I dont see how perfomances can be improved without more effective personnel, whoever the manager.

I think that's where you and the vast majority of the supporters disagree. The squad is nowhere near as boring as Pulis is making it.

Remember heading into the window and Pulis explaining how he wanted all these fast attacking players to transform how we play? Well here we are, 2 days of the window remain and we’ve only signed one which he refuses to play ?

Come on, 'refuses to play' is over-egging it a bit. He did say he wasn't match fit. He player 45 minutes in our last league game, and was one of those who had the flu last week so didn't get off the bench on Saturday. I'm sure he'll be starting games soon.

What has happened to the high pressure front foot football these very players produced in the first month of the season?

A month was all they had left in the legs after doing a full seasons worth of running in the Alps.

Just to throw this out there Isaac Vassell just put in a gamechanging performance vs Swansea tonight off the bench for Monk as well in the 25 minutes he was on the pitch he basically scored their 2nd and was influential on the game.

It might mean nothing but whatever it would have looked like for them to sell Vassell to us when we put in that low bid they'll be under much more pressure now to not sell after his performance.

I genuinely don’t think he’d be a bad signing, would be an improvement on fletcher and gestede, has strength and pace for days and can make his own scoring chances.

Come on, 'refuses to play' is over-egging it a bit. He did say he wasn't match fit. He player 45 minutes in our last league game, and was one of those who had the flu last week so didn't get off the bench on Saturday. I'm sure he'll be starting games soon.

On the face of it you're correct. But when you then consider mikel, who has played even less football than vlp, was thrown in to start a game days after signing - in a position we have lots of options in (as opposed to vlps position where we have downing who wont play and tav who pulis has no interest in playing) - as well as consider what happened to the winger we signed this time last year - it doesn't look great.

I thought exactly the same neverbefore.

Pulis made a big song and dance about vlp not being ready yet throws Mikel straight in, said the same about jack Harrison last January.

On the positive side at least it means we will see plenty of Mikel