oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

I bet we don't even scout abroad anymore all our targets seem to be domestic.

Can you imagine working in the scouting department right now?

Pulis  in September after failing to secure £70K a week Bolaise - "find me some wingers, we've got no money."

*Scouts spend the next three months finding viable wingers across Europe that won't cost the world*

Pulis in early January - "I only want proven Championship players"

Scouts now believe the last 3 months of their work is mostly void and are limited from a cash perspective.

Pulis in late January - "Here are the wingers I want, list reads;  winger the club sold in the summer (Adama) and the winger that we "cannot afford" who kick-started this whole process (Bolasie).

1st February - Downing new deal

Not buying players from abroad is a club decision not pulis. Since the 2017 January window we have only brought in 2 players from abroad 1 under monk and 1 under pulis.

From what I got told from someone at the club pulis told the club what positions he wanted players for weeks ago and is ***ed Off that the club has failed to fill any of them.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem for people who want Pulis gone is you presume the fella who owns the training ground and the one who 'just' negotiates the deals and contracts are faultless when there's quite a linear line between our awful transfer strategies and those 2.

Echo are saying Pulis wont be happy right now but Gibson and Bauser are working really hard.

It's a two pronged blame game because 1) It was club policy after relegation that we'd prioritise domestic players who knew the league over foreign imports putting us in a box 2) Pulis clear as day wants most of the players we've targeted heavily and a lot of these targets drag until deadline day so the idea he's faultless is laughable

We're a couple of injuries in defence away from serious problems, our first XI might be better with Mikel and VLP but our squad's been thinned in defence he's made it clear he wont play Wood/Spence in league games. Still time for us to turn it around and I don't mean calling up Albert again.

People don't want Pulis gone because of the transfer window, it's the style of play and atmosphere he creates around the club slating the players.

The squad is capable of far more, the likes of Tav and Britt could be contributing far more.

People don't want Pulis gone because of the transfer window, it's the style of play and atmosphere he creates around the club slating the players.

The squad is capable of far more, the likes of Tav and Britt could be contributing far more.

I get why people want Pulis out believe me, I'm just saying there's no competent actor here there's no white knight in the club riding to the rescue when he's gone whoever we employ as manager would still get the recruitment directives handed down to them (like most clubs), I don't buy that Pulis himself disagree with the club policy of buying domestic players so I don't know where the daylight would be in the rumoured split between him and the board they seem happy enough with targets.

Basically I think we're knackered with or without Pulis the way we handle targets and even the way we handle outgoings is just abysmal business sense it's really jarring to think how naïve we are every single window it's rinse and repeat it's not patiently waiting for number 1 targets it's people not being able to read situations or being anywhere near proactive enough.

I would recommend everybody to watch "Sunderland Till I Die" the series .. Ofc we don't like them scum ***s, but it is a good look into a club with same type of fanbase and economy as ourselves .. You can almost feel sorry for the fans, the way the documentary is put together... And it might give a little insight in how a "small" football club is run and how bad things can go .. The hate from the fans to the players on the pitch didn't help, I can tell you .. The deadline day transfers they did, didn't help either ..

A good watch, if you have the time - Boro is mentioned a few times ofc too

I would recommend everybody to watch "Sunderland Till I Die" the series .. Ofc we don't like them scum ***, but it is a good look into a club with same type of fanbase and economy as ourselves .. You can almost feel sorry for the fans, the way the documentary is put together... And it might give a little insight in how a "small" football club is run and how bad things can go .. The hate from the fans to the players on the pitch didn't help, I can tell you .. The deadline day transfers they did, didn't help either ..

Also a timely reminder of how easily we could slip back into being a struggling Championship team or worse with a few more bad decisions from the top.

I would recommend everybody to watch "Sunderland Till I Die" the series .. Ofc we don't like them scum ***, but it is a good look into a club with same type of fanbase and economy as ourselves .. You can almost feel sorry for the fans, the way the documentary is put together... And it might give a little insight in how a "small" football club is run and how bad things can go .. The hate from the fans to the players on the pitch didn't help, I can tell you .. The deadline day transfers they did, didn't help either ..

Just been reading a thread on fmttm where some people are comparing our situation to Sunderland which I actually agree with. Obviously we haven't fallen apart anywhere near as badly as them but the causes of the problems are similar.

I think we underestimate the amount of sway Agents and Agency firms have. They whisper in the right ear, and help get deals over the line. They also actively work with certain clubs to earth some hidden gems, etc.

With us having a very open Club policy of hating Agents and screwing their commissions to the floor. Pulling the plug on deals at the eleventh hour to force lower fees.

What Agent would want to do us any favours, or be pooping themselves for an eleventh hour deal collapse.

"Super Agent" Jorge Mendes was close to our club a few seasons ago and with Peter Keynon presented a plan to Gibson how to conveyor belt our club for Europe's finest youngsters. Gibson declined in fear of losing the "local" club mentality and backed backed Gary Gill. As we all know Jorge Mendes then took this opportunity to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Football's a global game, and we're now reaping the rewards of closing ourselves off and keeping it local.

Murphy's the only one out of the linked names that sounds like we still have a chance at, Birmingham Mail update says while they think West Brom are still his preferred destination Newcastle are playing hardball over the sizeable loan fee they're asking for so it's not quite all agreed for them.

Given how desperate we are I can imagine a 7 figure loan fee to have him for 5 months will be no problem for us...

Feels like we're going in circles here! Pulis should of had a remit to get the club promoted last season, which he failed, bear in mind that our squad was probably stronger too, and in my eyes should've gone. Now we're left with a fractured fan base and dwindling finances due to terrible financial choices. Since the 2017 January window our policy has either been scatter gun or minimal. Yet despite all this, like in the Prem, where a few good quality players could've kept us up, we are still in with a chance of promotion. Bizarrely though, it appears as if the club is stalling at a crucial moment. I'm not saying the club should spend it's way to the PL, but we all know what we need, Pulis knows what we need, do the hierarchy?

This begs another question, who is in charge of such matters? Gibson, Bausor, Gill, Bevington, Pulis? How have we gone from August 31st to the end of January without curing the squads inbalance? Something doesn't add up at all.

Also a timely reminder of how easily we could slip back into being a struggling Championship team or worse with a few more bad decisions from the top.

We're on course for that now in my opinion. I've been saying for the last few months on here that history is repeating itself. For Southgate - Strachan - Mowbray, we are heading for Monk, Pulis - Woodgate, there's so many similarities.

I agree with Jamie lets not expect a white knight to arrive when Pulis has gone, we're gonna be in a period of rebuilding. Until all the big earners have gone and the books are balanced then we'll be ready for another crack at promotion which won't be for a few seasons yet.

I think we underestimate the amount of sway Agents and Agency firms have. They whisper in the right ear, and help get deals over the line. They also actively work with certain clubs to earth some hidden gems, etc.

With us having a very open Club policy of hating Agents and screwing their commissions to the floor. Pulling the plug on deals at the eleventh hour to force lower fees.

What Agent would want to do us any favours, or be pooping themselves for an eleventh hour deal collapse.

"Super Agent" Jorge Mendes was close to our club a few seasons ago and with Peter Keynon presented a plan to Gibson how to conveyor belt our club for Europe's finest youngsters. Gibson declined in fear of losing the "local" club mentality and backed backed Gary Gill. As we all know Jorge Mendes then took this opportunity to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Football's a global game, and we're now reaping the rewards of closing ourselves off and keeping it local.

Gibson loves the club but is stuck in the 1990s. The issue with agents is just a symptom of his lack of understanding how the game has changed. Typical of any leadership, if you distance yourself from those on the ground and surround yourself with yes men, then it becomes very hard to see what is going wrong and how to fix it.

Let’s hope Pulis goes today and Gibson takes a good look at the top of the club.

What happened to wanting players who wanted to play for the club

That's the public excuse for a manager getting rid of players that he doesn't want and not signing players that he doesn't want.  Please see Braithwaite, M and Maja, J for examples.  Some of plodders he wanted would have thrown me over the edge though I'm sure of it.