oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

No we don't and that hasn't effected the players at all.

ofc it has not effected the players.  But yes I think we are in big deep hole economic wise, most things seems to point that way.....

The transfer window just 6 months ago didn't suggest so.

We have almost + in netspending since we where relegeted.....

Well yeah that's what happens after you get relegated.  You end up selling players who want to be elsewhere and the players you buy generally aren't as expensive although we managed to do the opposite of course and break our transfer record after relegation.

If we hadn't missed out on certain players last summer we'd have spent more.  I don't understand why I keep having to repeat this.  We all know there were players we were in for who went elsewhere.

Finally, we've sold £90m worth of players since relegation.  It would be staggering to me if we'd spent £90m in two seasons as a Championship club so our net spend will clearly be a minus figure.

The players are not effected by any of this.

Have a look through the accounts on Companies House. It makes interesting reading.

When we sold Ramirez and De Roon we mortgaged the income to get £20m immediately which we spent on Assombalonga etc. So rather than getting that income over 6 payments - in the case of De Roon - we got a lump sum.

In short I think we’ve spent pretty much what we’ve received over the last 3-4 seasons including TV money. Which is very scary.

Total debt now at £179m. Most to Gibson O’Neill and around £60m in deferred transfer fees.

So I think if we don’t go up it will be worse than under Mowbray.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look through the accounts on Companies House. It makes interesting reading.

When we sold Ramirez and De Roon we mortgaged the income to get £20m immediately which we spent on Assombalonga etc. So rather than getting that income over 6 payments - in the case of De Roon - we got a lump sum.

In short I think we’ve spent pretty much what we’ve received over the last 3-4 seasons including TV money. Which is very scary.

Total debt now at £179m. Most to Gibson O’Neill and around £60m in deferred transfer fees.

Are you sure those figures are correct?  They aren't the ones I remember unless there are new accounts out?  I haven't looked at them in a while mind.

A lot of clubs do that to have the money available immediately that would be received in stages.  A lot of companies outside of football do it in various ways.  I fully understand that we've spent the money we've brought in, I assume everyone understood that.  We've only received what amounts to three seasons of Premier League linked TV money - the season when we were up there and got the full amount and the two seasons since where we've got a proportion of the amount, something along the lines of £45m and £38m although I can't remember the exact figures.  My point is that the club knew this in the summer, it hasn't caught them by surprise so the fact that they were prepared to spend in the summer and actually spend more if they were able to suggests to me that they are at least reasonably comfortable with the situation.  All the money we spend on players will be borrowed one way or another, the club isn't cash rich and even with the TV deal we'd have had to borrow money against that.

We have some players we don't want and of those some of them are on pretty good money, this is obviously an issue but again it's an issue the club know about.  It's not catching them by surprise so either they are stunningly incompetent, which I suppose is possible, or they understand the situation and are making decisions accordingly.  The bit I don't understand from people on here is what people thought would happen after spending only one season in the Premier League?  I don't really get what seems to be confusion on here - any season we are in the Championship under the current model for running the football club we will be making a loss.  There's no way around that other than to completely change how the club runs.  As long is Gibson is fine funding it then there's no issue and as he's the person who decides the business model then we have to assume that he is ok with it.

Could the reason why there was "no money" to spend in January due to the impeding decision on the tribunal?

I.e. put some money to one side in case we have to pay out rather than spend that on players?

I thought the Gazette said it was only £2,000 and it was the principle not the cost that Gibson fought against

Oh right, fair enough i cant say i followed the case that closely!

Another interesting point. Gate revenue not much different from season to season and merchandise revenue going down.

why is still Middlesbrough just selling merhandise in Middlesbrough or on the net?

I mean when i was in London some years back I could buy shirts and scarfs from most clubs,but not Middlesbrough. And the answer I got was that they where not sold outside the local area.

And this was in 2005 so we where in PL at that time and pretty decent

Another interesting point. Gate revenue not much different from season to season and merchandise revenue going down.

why is still Middlesbrough just selling merhandise in Middlesbrough or on the net?

I mean when i was in London some years back I could buy shirts and scarfs from most clubs,but not Middlesbrough. And the answer I got was that they where not sold outside the local area.

When I first started going in the 80s the shirts were available from most sport shops.

But then they decided that only the clubstore could sell them. Not sure if it was because they gained more profit per shirt rather than sending them to sports shops or whether sport shops wanted a deal where any that went unsold were returned at full cost and it didn't seem worth it.

Now it seems at least we don't have to compare shop prices if we aren't from the region because the mfc website is the only place you can get them. Seems daft not to have them in stores though given some people still won't buy off the internet so those not from the region can't get hold of one.

One of many things about the club that are quite baffling

When I first started going in the 80s the shirts were available from most sport shops.

But then they decided that only the clubstore could sell them. Not sure if it was because they gained more profit per shirt rather than sending them to sports shops or whether sport shops wanted a deal where any that went unsold were returned at full cost and it didn't seem worth it.

Now it seems at least we don't have to compare shop prices if we aren't from the region because the mfc website is the only place you can get them. Seems daft not to have them in stores though given some people still won't buy off the internet so those not from the region can't get hold of one.

One of many things about the club that are quite baffling

That has Gibson’s fingerprints all over it. Another objection on principle to any sort of middle man making money that he believes the club should get - just like his objections on agents. Laudable sentiments, except for the fact that we blew the chance to make the most of our European run and grow the supporter base. Still at least we have a few daft lads on here from abroad that adopted the boro though!!! ?

ofc it has not effected the players.  But yes I think we are in big deep hole economic wise, most things seems to point that way.....

Well yeah that's what happens after you get relegated.  You end up selling players who want to be elsewhere and the players you buy generally aren't as expensive although we managed to do the opposite of course and break our transfer record after relegation.

If we hadn't missed out on certain players last summer we'd have spent more.  I don't understand why I keep having to repeat this.  We all know there were players we were in for who went elsewhere.

Finally, we've sold £90m worth of players since relegation.  It would be staggering to me if we'd spent £90m in two seasons as a Championship club so our net spend will clearly be a minus figure.

No No No, this can't be right - ask Chicken, Blanco and Barnaby - when I suggested that the money was loans and Gibson didn't pay out of his personal piggy bank I got personal abuse so it must be wrong.

It should read,  zero debt due to SG paying for everything and 60 mil owed which Stevie is paying for -  his lass will just have to go to Benidorm for a week this year, because thats how it works.

No No No, this can't be right - ask Chicken, Blanco and Barnaby - when I suggested that the money was loans and Gibson didn't pay out of his personal piggy bank I got personal abuse so it must be wrong.

It should read,  zero debt due to SG paying for everything and 60 mil owed which Stevie is paying for -  his lass will just have to go to Benidorm for a week this year, because thats how it works.

Don’t know about the other two but I’ve never mentioned money or funding

I called Chickenlunch out for saying Steve Gibson pays for everything out of his own pocket and you jumped in having a go at me, then Barnaby stuck his oar in - unless my aging memory is letting me down

EDIT - found your comment - The sad thing is that you probably believe your own BS

Barnaby - Says the one who's never done a days work in his life apart from washing dishes

I called Chickenlunch out for saying Steve Gibson pays for everything out of his own pocket and you jumped in having a go at me, then Barnaby stuck his oar in - unless my aging memory is letting me down

EDIT - found your comment - The sad thing is that you probably believe your own BS

I was merely having a go at you at the time. It wouldn’t have mattered what you said :)

I was merely having a go at you at the time. It wouldn’t have mattered what you said :)

Oh well at least you're honest - I can work with honesty.