oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Don't really see the issue as far as we are concerned regarding Downing. Its more a problem for Downing himself assuming hes not happy being guaranteed to not start again this season. 

He shouldn't be starting for us anyways. So just keep him on the bench or drop him completely if his head isn't right and get rid at the end of the season, job done.

I suppose the issue is that we have a manager who almost certainly wants to play him and an owner who I believe wants Downing at the club for a lot longer than his remaining playing career.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really see the issue as far as we are concerned regarding Downing. Its more a problem for Downing himself assuming hes not happy being guaranteed to not start again this season. 

He shouldn't be starting for us anyways. So just keep him on the bench or drop him completely if his head isn't right and get rid at the end of the season, job done.

I suppose the issue is that we have a manager who almost certainly wants to play him and an owner who I believe wants Downing at the club for a lot longer than his remaining playing career.

Point taken, but still as it stands at the moment we don't really have a issue. I'd tend to agree with you that we'll probably end up making a big one soon though.

I suppose we could kinda troll Downing by putting him on the bench every game and then subbing him on inside the first minute thereby avoiding activating the clause.  I'm sure there's some fancy legal reason why we can't do that though  :disappointed:

I suppose we could kinda troll Downing by putting him on the bench every game and then subbing him on inside the first minute thereby avoiding activating the clause.  I'm sure there's some fancy legal reason why we can't do that though  :disappointed:

Hope Pulis hasn't thought of this.

I can see it now -Harry Chapman's big first chance for the Boro finally comes with a surprise start, and his number comes up while the sound of the ref's whistle is still echoing around the ground.

I can see it now -Harry Chapman's big first chance for the Boro finally comes with a surprise start, and his number comes up while the sound of the ref's whistle is still echoing around the ground.

:D

Couldn't happen to a more deserving player if that happened.

I don’t understand why we’re even looking at any more CM’s. We’ve been linked with both McDonald and Mikel.

We have Besic, Howson, Wing, Tav, Clayton, Saville, Leadbitter and McNair that can all play CM.

Am I missing something? Why on earth are we still looking at CM’s!

lol it does seem kinda ridiculous, although it could be said that Clayton, Leadbitter, McNair and Besic are all largely crap this season, which effectively leaves us with just Howson and Saville as experienced first teamers, and Wing and Tavern being the yoof. Also Taver doesn't seem to actually have a set position just yet..

If he were to sell at least 2/3 of the crap players mentioned, then he could possibly justify bringing in a better CM without too many people on this forum throwing their Tudders out the cot.

Downing has been a good servant to the club, as they say. At his best, he would have knocked spots off just about all the other current players but his best is far behind him. He can still deliver a pinpoint cross and even the occasional spot-on shot, but it's clear that these skills are no longer enough in a game that depends so much on pace and agility.

There have also been questions about his disruptive influence - especially under Aitor - and I have heard many times that he considers himself a tad above the other players, and the manager.

Pulis and Gibson would be fools to do anything that would trigger a new contract. Downing has to go.

Can we stop kidding ourselves that downing has all this talent etc, if he was going to do it he would have by now. What we see is what we get, no matter what position or who the manager is.

Downing is a very tidy technical player but he's been a pretty ineffective player throughout his career. His goals and assists for his technical ability talent will be a pretty poor ratio. Wide players with more pace but less technical ability are far more effective. His lack of dynamism and ability to beat a man from wide areas takes a lot away from a teams attacking threat.

Gibson loves Downing like. I think when Downing has retired, Gibson will want to send Downing to a taxidermist and get his head mounted on the wall (akin to a mounted deer head) in the front reception of the Riverside.