oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

frustrates me that the same Clayton *** comes up every time. ??

and it frustrates me that I can't think that it's time to sell Clayton if we want to maximise his value. You love him but I think he is too limited. I don't just want someone to sweep up in the championship and release the ball quickly. And if we ever got promoted I don't think he is the answer either. For what it's worth I don't think we will sell him because I can't see another club come in for him  as he isn't a Prem footballer and teams below us can't afford him. I also wouldn't be against selling Howson and sending Besic back because we need something else.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably does I think.

But then I kind of didn’t have a problem with it as our strongest department is clearly Cm so why not play them all and get the best out of them? It’s not like they are all defensive, wing, howson and saville have plenty to offer attacking wise.

How can anyone have watched us play for the last 5 years and still not rate Clayton?

Even if his form is declining, he's the only player we have that does that job (bar Leadbitter who isn't good enough to make the bench). Selling him to accommodate a player who is signing for 4 months would be crazy.

frustrates me that the same Clayton *** comes up every time. ??

and it frustrates me that I can't think that it's time to sell Clayton if we want to maximise his value. You love him but I think he is too limited. I don't just want someone to sweep up in the championship and release the ball quickly. And if we ever got promoted I don't think he is the answer either. For what it's worth I don't think we will sell him because I can't see another club come in for him  as he isn't a Prem footballer and teams below us can't afford him. I also wouldn't be against selling Howson and sending Besic back because we need something else.

He only looks ineffective because he has another 3/4 players trying to do a similar job. I genuinely think he was one of our better players in the prem. I'd like to see a midfield 2 of Clayton and Saville, with 4 attacking players on the wing and ahead of them, as I think between them they have enough energy and grit to control a midfield.

He has just turned 20 year old and is second top scorer in League 1 with 15 goals. A statistic that I really like is that he has scored them 15 league goals out of just 33 shots. That's phenomenal chance conversion rate. Compared to League 1 standards that's way ahead of other players:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

He has been playing consistently and seems ready to make the step up to Championship level. He fits the profile of player that we've severely been lacking for a long time. He has the style of a young Sturridge with his pace and directness. He knows the North East well so that will help minimise the risk involved in any transfer. I just rate him very highly.

That's cool.  I just wondered as people seem to be hyped up about him and to my mind he makes me think of Assombalonga and we've already got one of him that we don't want so signing another one seems like a strange move.

He probably does I think.

But then I kind of didn’t have a problem with it as our strongest department is clearly Cm so why not play them all and get the best out of them? It’s not like they are all defensive, wing, howson and saville have plenty to offer attacking wise.

Because playing 5 central midfielders is mental?

How can anyone have watched us play for the last 5 years and still not rate Clayton?

Even if his form is declining, he's the only player we have that does that job (bar Leadbitter who isn't good enough to make the bench). Selling him to accommodate a player who is signing for 4 months would be crazy.

agreed, but i also know everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything. so never surprised people dont like our best midfielder.

agreed, but i also know everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything. so never surprised people dont like our best midfielder.

Being our best midfielder doesn't really say much does it. All of them just crabbing along. Great engines though. We need a bit of a revamp and with the way we are playing we don't need someone sitting as deep as Clayton. If we were playing with 4 attacking players then yes I'd definately keep him but thats not going to happen.

Reach supposedly being offered around....would anyone have him in front of Traore or is it not realistic (too pricey)...does wed's transfer restrictions rule out swaps?...Villa mentioned by Sky as interested

I have always thought Clayton was wasted at the Boro. When he was at Leeds and Hudders he was played much further up the field and scored 17 goals in 4 seasons and was effective going forward. In comparison in a deeper role he has been here for 5 seasons and scored just the 1 goal.

He has just turned 20 year old and is second top scorer in League 1 with 15 goals. A statistic that I really like is that he has scored them 15 league goals out of just 33 shots. That's phenomenal chance conversion rate. Compared to League 1 standards that's way ahead of other players:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

He has been playing consistently and seems ready to make the step up to Championship level. He fits the profile of player that we've severely been lacking for a long time. He has the style of a young Sturridge with his pace and directness. He knows the North East well so that will help minimise the risk involved in any transfer. I just rate him very highly.

That's cool.  I just wondered as people seem to be hyped up about him and to my mind he makes me think of Assombalonga and we've already got one of him that we don't want so signing another one seems like a strange move.

I just watched some clips on YouTube and really hope we get him now. I watched his shots after you mentioned that stat and on 95% of his goals he finds the corner/inside side netting everytime, think I counted 2 where you think maybe they keeper could do better.

He’s very composed on the ball even in front of goal, reminds me a bit of viduka the way he twists and turns in the box to get a shot away.

And the main thing imo is he dictates their attacks rather than the other way round, lots of his goals he’s created himself rather than being played in by midfielders or tapping in low crosses.

He’s gonna be good, I’d much rather pay £3m for him than £15m for maupay.

Being our best midfielder doesn't really say much does it. All of them just crabbing along. Great engines though. We need a bit of a revamp and with the way we are playing we don't need someone sitting as deep as Clayton. If we were playing with 4 attacking players then yes I'd definately keep him but thats not going to happen.

no what we don't need is besic playing 3 yards away from Clayton trying to do the same role. play Clayton behind Saville/mikel/Howson and you'll have a very effective Clayton. he's nullified when another midfielder is playing 3 yards away from him.

saw similar things with him and Leadbitter together at times playing too close together.