oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Besic hasn't been playing the pushed on role for awhile.. we've been playing Wing as a 10 and Clayts/Besic sat deep. Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch.

Recently at least Wing & Besic have been playing in front of Clayton with Saville & Howson out wider, so yeah, I do actually watch, thanks :)

No way in hell Wing has been playing as a 10, this weekend for example he was covering at RIGHT BACK when Fry went forwards at times.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Besic hasn't been playing the pushed on role for awhile.. we've been playing Wing as a 10 and Clayts/Besic sat deep. Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch.

In fairness wing has only played the last few games. I hate the system pulis employs but it's clear besic is the more forward thinking of those 2. That's why people get annoyed so much because he has chances to create stuff in the opposition half but holds on too long/always wants an extra touch or 3.

For me Clayton is the best ball winner in our squad. And he then simply passes to someone more attack minded. Does what he should very effectively.

Mikel is probably better at this though. Hoping that it means two holding players of this quality allows for 4 attack minded players (karankas 4-2-3-1 style), a system I hated when AK was in charge but would be a massive leap forward in terms of attack mindedness compared to our current setup.

That’s not what he ‘should’ be doing though, watch neves, shelvey even Huddlestone when they played at this level. Winning the ball is just part of the job.

‘Knocking it sideways to an attack minded player’ is not only a cop out but also a disadvantage to the team. If Clayton is knocking it sideways to an attacking player that means that attacking player is 30-40 yards in our own half, therefore the rest of them come deep also. Clayton winning it back should be a trigger for the forwards to push up not stand still or drop back.

There is just so much more to that role than simply winning the ball back.

And trust me pulis IS aiming plenty of his ‘push up’ shouts at Clayton, I’ve said a million times that I sit right near the bench and pulis kicks off about Clayton multiple times a game. It’s because of this I’ve been expecting him to drop out of the 11 for a while.

Karanka tried it in the premiership, monk tried it and now pulis is going down the same road. Not a coincidence imo.

Different roles. Not the same kind of player. If you play FM, consider them DLPs and Clayton a BWM or an Anchorman. Both DM positionally, but totally different attributes required.

Recently at least Wing & Besic have been playing in front of Clayton with Saville & Howson out wider, so yeah, I do actually watch, thanks :)

No way in hell Wing has been playing as a 10, this weekend for example he was covering at RIGHT BACK when Fry went forwards at times.

so if you don't think Wing was playing in a 'number 10' role this past weekend, out of interest, what position do you think Howson and Saville were playing? cos the way I saw it, Wing was playing between those two, behind Hugill, and in front of Clayton and Besic... if that's not a 'number 10' role, then maybe I've been playing Football Manager wrong all these years..

is the view that we're signing Mikel to play that 'number 10' role? doesn't he play there for Nigeria?

so if you don't think Wing was playing in a 'number 10' role this past weekend, out of interest, what position do you think Howson and Saville were playing? cos the way I saw it, Wing was playing between those two, behind Hugill, and in front of Clayton and Besic... if that's not a 'number 10' role, then maybe I've been playing Football Manager wrong all these years..

is the view that we're signing Mikel to play that 'number 10' role? doesn't he play there for Nigeria?

mikel has been signed because of his caliber and his obvious physical presence. he's a player ho can and i'm sure will take the bull by the horns and drive us forward, like leadbitter used to.

he isnt going to sign to play in a team that plays within itself. i'd imagine he wouldnt be to happy about players taking the easy option. he's standards will be higher, he'll be expecting more from the players round him. 

to me its a bit like when jimmy signed, he was still top draw but on the fade. his standards remained high. mikel played in the same level of chelsea team, a top champions league team. he's back over here not for the money, hes here to play competitive football again.

it might not pan out like i've said above but thats the general idea i'd imagine pulis will have. he must have why else would we sign him.

I think we are signing him because we expect him to do the job Clayton does but slightly better. He's also above 6 foot which will be a huge selling point to Pulis.

If we let Leadbitter go and maybe one other CM leave then I can see the logic.

The concern I have is whether we're going to be able to get the attacking signings in before the window shuts. Mikel will make us a bit more solid defensively but he's not going to change how impotent we are going forward.

I don't have a clue what to believe when Pulis says we are skint, the Gazette made a big song and dance about us being virtually debt free a couple of years ago now Pulis is pleading poverty and people on here are saying we're in loads of debt. If we are struggling financially I don't see the sense in signing someone like Mikel.

I think we are signing him because we expect him to do the job Clayton does but slightly better. He's also above 6 foot which will be a huge selling point to Pulis.

The concern I have is whether we're going to be able to get the attacking signings in before the window shuts. Mikel will make us a bit more solid defensively but he's not going to change how impotent we are going forward.

I don't have a clue what to believe when Pulis says we are skint, the Gazette made a big song and dance about us being virtually debt free a couple of years ago now Pulis is pleading poverty and people on here are saying we're in loads of debt. If we are struggling financially I don't see the sense in signing someone like Mikel.

Signing Mikel surely spells serious interest in Grant or maybe Clayton and then potentially fletcher/downing (Burnley) go then add 2 attacking players and full back cover

Signing Mikel surely spells serious interest in Grant or maybe Clayton and then potentially fletcher/downing (Burnley) go then add 2 attacking players and full back cover

yes i agree with that, we must be losing a player or two. but i always thought that would happen anyway.

i dont think its as simple as mikel is signing because he'll do a better job than player x in y position. pulis is always talking about attitude of the players it must be a big part in any deal imo.

as for all the skint talk. its pulis who has been pushing this. teams think we are flush and the prices sky rocket when we bid for them. saville, britt, flint etc. so he's changed the tune.

for all pulis's flaws in his tactical style. he does a lot of things right and is a guy we should get behind. hes not going to ruin us like monk did my just signing everyone he can championship manager style. hes is good for the club. i just wish fans could see past the style and see all the good things hes doing.

I mean they were playing LM and RM we played a 4141 formation.

hes is good for the club. i just wish fans could see past the style and see all the good things hes doing.

Such as?

Remind me why we are bringing in a 31 year old midfielder from the Chinese league when Pulis remit is wingers and pace.

Because he's better than what we've got and I'd have thought it'll be 1 in 1 out.

New name linked - Charlton's Karlan Grant

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/23/report-west-brom-and-middlesbrough-want-2m-rated-karlan-grant/

"According to a report from the Daily Mail (23/1; page 65), West Brom and Middlesbrough have joined the race to sign Karlan Grant in what would have to be considered a bargain January deal.

Grant has enjoyed a superb season in League One with Charlton Athletic, scoring 14 goals in 27 third tier games this season. But unfortunately for Lee Bowyer's men, his future at The Valley looks to be in some doubt.

The Daily Mail (23/1; page 65) reports that Grant's contract expires in the summer and the Ad***s could be willing to let him go for £2 million this month, with West Brom, Boro and Huddersfield Town all keen on signing the forward."

--

Could be one of the young, unproven players raf said we were after

Rmember when we almost signed Aissa Mandi when we were promoted? ***nal are lining up a 27 million pound swoop which is his release clause.

Aye, rated him at Reims. Excellent all-round Full Back; versatile too.

Looks like Betis have transitioned him into CB. Valuable asset to a squad like ***nal's.