oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

I am definitely more impressed this time signing a winger and a central midfielder than the last time we did it in a January window when it was Sammy Ameobi and Kieron Dyer.

Mikel isn't on paper what we need but as somebody pointed out he is better than what we have so it is a justifiable purchase. Still we need another winger (Traore?) as a minimum for this window if we are going to be pushing for promotion possibly top 2.

Yep one more winger would do it for me too, there is absolutely no point signing another CF, we need to improve the service that they get, whilst not a massive Britt fan, I can’t see us signing anyone better, who will slot into the team and start scoring straight away.

If we can sign a winger and probably pick up a last minute full back on loan (we usually do)

I’ll be happy.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definitely more impressed this time signing a winger and a central midfielder than the last time we did it in a January window when it was Sammy Ameobi and Kieron Dyer.

Mikel isn't on paper what we need but as somebody pointed out he is better than what we have so it is a justifiable purchase. Still we need another winger (Traore?) as a minimum for this window if we are going to be pushing for promotion possibly top 2.

Yep one more winger would do it for me too, there is absolutely no point signing another CF, we need to improve the service that they get, whilst not a massive Britt fan, I can’t see us signing anyone better, who will slot into the team and start scoring straight away.

If we can sign a winger and probably pick up a last minute full back on loan (we usually do)

I’ll be happy.

Our form plummets every time shotton is out of the side, we desperately need an accomplished right back.

And honestly, if van la parra is the standard of winger we are after I don't hold much hope there either.

Mikel is a solid signing, but as others have said we are strengthening the wrong position. We are crying out for a player that is actually a Right Back, and we a being painfully exposed by our lack of creativity and pace out wide.

Mikel will be a really good addition, but we need other positions as a priority.

Mikel is a solid signing, but as others have said we are strengthening the wrong position. We are crying out for a player that is actually a Right Back, and we a being painfully exposed by our lack of creativity and pace out wide.

Mikel will be a really good addition, but we need other positions as a priority.

True, but sometimes you can’t sign the players in the right order.

If we had already done a deal for a second winger and a full back, nobody would be questioning us signing Mikel, we would mostly agree that getting him was a bit of a coup.

Still a week to go......

Chris Hughton said earlier today that they are working hard on finding a loan deal for attacking right back Ezequiel Schelotto. I suspect that he is probably going back to Italy where he was succesful, but he could be a decent addition. Certainly offers something else than Shotton and Fry, but I suspect he is probably a little too attackminded for Pulis' liking.

I’ll be happy.

Our form plummets every time shotton is out of the side, we desperately need an accomplished right back.

And honestly, if van la parra is the standard of winger we are after I don't hold much hope there either.

Is VLP that bad? I’ve not seen him play for us, but I presumed he was ok, as he was a regular in a promoted side.

True, but sometimes you can’t sign the players in the right order.

If we had already done a deal for a second winger and a full back, nobody would be questioning us signing Mikel, we would mostly agree that getting him was a bit of a coup.

Still a week to go......

Very true, opportunities do come up when you least expect them!

I've seen him a few times and he's never impressed me, though granted that's a very limited amount of minutes.

But his career stats and the fact that we was unable to get any minutes, even off the bench, in a team thats probably the worst attacking team the prem has seen in years (Yes even worse than our stint) doesn't fill me with confidence that he is the creative force we are so desperate for.

I don't know why people keep bringing up other positions when talking about signing Mikel. Unless signing him means we no longer have any money for other roles then I have no problem with us signing a player who is better than others we already have. You need to strengthen when you have the opportunity to do so.

I'm sure we'll be working on other positions so it's not like it was either / or. Plus whilst the defensive area might be our strongest - if the right attacking players aren't available we'll need to be even stronger defensively to make up for our lack of goals.

I don't know why people keep bringing up other positions when talking about signing Mikel. Unless signing him means we no longer have any money for other roles then I have no problem with us signing a player who is better than others we already have. You need to strengthen when you have the opportunity to do so.

I'm sure we'll be working on other positions so it's not like it was either / or. Plus whilst the defensive area might be our strongest - if the right attacking players aren't available we'll need to be even stronger defensively to make up for our lack of goals.

It's pretty simple. We've been told that we have very limited money to spend and in the last two windows the vast majority of money we've spent has been on centre midfield when we have much more pressing concerns. Considering everything we've been told by our manage about cutting our cloth, it's concerning to me that were still diverting our resources to the same kind of players we already have (albeit this one of a lot higher quality than we have- at least a few years ago he was anyway)

imo he was by far the best player on our team when he came on at the weekend, although that's not saying too much.

He was the only player in the team that showed any desire to take on the opposition and actually try to create something.

I think the concern people have is that a player who has been a defensive midfielder for the majority of his career might be asked to play a creative role.

I liked how he tried to play a couple of through balls and actually find runs of forwards rather than just smashing it in the box.

Seems to have formed some kind of alliance with Britt already.