oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

The Maja deal to Bordeaux is only 1.5mil upfront with a lot of long clauses which may take it to 3m.. Just goes to show how little we are willing to spend atm..

Or we weren't willing to put up with the agent demands, which seem to be the problem. Suddenly demanding more than what was originaly discussed. I don't think the fee was the issue but rather another greedy agent.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I just feel as though we are heading back to the Strachan/Mowbray era all over again. WE could be in this League for a long time...................

The signs certainly aren't great

Yeh it looks that way, absolutely disgraceful when you look at the likes of Burnley, Brighton and Bournemouth holding their own in the PL, been a big supporter of Gibson but I think him and his entourage are clueless and there lies the problem.

The Maja deal to Bordeaux is only 1.5mil upfront with a lot of long clauses which may take it to 3m.. Just goes to show how little we are willing to spend atm..

If Maja has any sense, he would have gone to Bordeaux over Boro however much money was at play.

I guess that is what happens when you spank it all on Saville, McNair and Flint

All this talk of being broke, it really does add up what we've wasted on bang average players who can't even get a start in the last few years. The moneys gone because its been wasted.

Watford signed Richarlison for what we paid for McNair and Saville. Brighton signed Pascal Gross for what we paid for Flint. I'm sure there are countless other examples where we've been bled dry for pure guff whilst smarter clubs pick up cheap gems from abroad.

Do you ever sit and wonder what our club long term vision is?

Are we investing in youth? Are we trying to get instant success?

I can't help but feel the foundations of Karanka and the stability he made has been eroded slowly.

Our limited attacking threat is going. Bamford being sold? Assombalonga rumoured to be leaving? What the *** is going on?!

Whilst we are still left with players who can only play one way.

What worries me the most is that we're not even thinking about next season with now. Are our decisions being made with next season in mind?

It's worrying.

Why do you think I'm such a bitter and twisted miserable bugger?

Welcome back (I think?)

I'm back baby! Forgetting my old account information in the process!

Don't want to get too technical on this but the strategy of not buying abroad came about after relegation because we needed 'British players' or 'players who have played in the leagues over here for a while' because someone high up blamed a lot of Karanka's failure on Spanish cliques in the club and dressing room.

That's why we haven't signed from abroad Braithwaite aside and I doubt he's softened the stance the way his situation has gone, it's not the managers choice in my opinion that's why my attitude to links abroad now is almost immediate dismissal.

I think our 'recruitment strategy' is an extremely conscious choice it puts us in boxes it limits our options a lot of the 'deadwood' is as a result of this strategy and buying British players but obviously it's all Victor Orta's fault what a mess he left us in him and his bloody sell on value signings glad we got rid of that guy. Clearly it was Victor who gave Leadbitter that sweet 3 year contract at the age of 31 until he was 34 with no sunsetting yeah what a dumb dumb so glad he's gone.

Somehow we've gone from not having a pot to *ss in yet still splashing 3 million on an unknown Uruguayan to 4 years later struggling to find the money to buy a 2 million pound striker and a 700k LB. Blows my mind.

I guess that is what happens when you spank it all on Saville, McNair and Flint

All this talk of being broke, it really does add up what we've wasted on bang average players who can't even get a start in the last few years. The moneys gone because its been wasted.

Watford signed Richarlison for what we paid for McNair and Saville. Brighton signed Pascal Gross for what we paid for Flint. I'm sure there are countless other examples where we've been bled dry for pure guff whilst smarter clubs pick up cheap gems from abroad.

You can't just acknowledge the cheap gems without acknowledging the absolute guff that those teams have wasted money on as well. Andre Gray, Tom Cleverley, Isaac Success for a combined 40m+. Jahanbackhsh and Jurgen Locadia for £33m. All teams have examples of expensive flops and cheap gems, it's not just a Boro thing...

Agents are becoming a very convenient boogie man for our club to wheel out.

I'm only going by what some of the seemingly ITK posters said on here. Maybe we just didn't fancy Maja. It's not like he had a stampede of clubs clamouring to sign him.

If we’re so broke then why would we spend what seems like silly money (in hindsight) on those players. 

If I was Gibson I wouldn’t particularly want to spend big on anyone in January. Loans, short term deals and cheap. because it wouldn’t just be the fee it’ll probably be fairly big wages too. For someone else to come in as manager in the summer and not want them or want to set up the team differently but they’re stuck with a team of giants with weights in their boots   ;)

Have we been linked with anyone that would make you think “bloody hell we’re going for it”?