oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

as others have mentioned some things just don't stack up. if we're strapped for cash why did we spend 13m on two midfielders, one of whom can't start if his life depended on it.

not only that but I believe we paid a 2m loan fee for Hugill did we not?

I just don't understand if we're poor where do we keep finding the money?

Maybe the club are strapped for cash because they spent that £15m that they really shouldn't have.

But they did that with Pulis as our manager.  We were also willing to spend £5m on Bryan, £10m for the two Millwall lads as opposed to £7m for Saville and whatever Bolasie would have been on for his loan deal.  I would say that's just the deals we definitely know about.  We seemed to have an interest in players like Waghorn as well.  As I said earlier, if we'd gotten the players we wanted in the summer we'd have spent a lot more than we actually did.  It's strange that things are now so tight and that we're hearing the same basic stuff this January as we did last January.

Edit - and Besic for £6m rather than a loan deal.  

Quite clearly, we were prepared to spend a sizeable amount just a few months ago.

I get where you are coming from, but my logic is, the more money that you spend, the less you have left. Gibbo might be a bit short after shelling out in the summer.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.footballinsider247.com/boro-in-grosicki-talks/

I said his name in the summer when Hull were trying to ditch him anywhere because of his wages and contract running down but ORourke is saying we've opened talks for Grosicki at Hull.

Personally I rate him he's an out and out winger if we pull this off I like the business even though this business would have been far easier and cheaper buying him in the summer before Hull were forced to play him.

But they did that with Pulis as our manager.  We were also willing to spend £5m on Bryan, £10m for the two Millwall lads as opposed to £7m for Saville and whatever Bolasie would have been on for his loan deal.  I would say that's just the deals we definitely know about.  We seemed to have an interest in players like Waghorn as well.  As I said earlier, if we'd gotten the players we wanted in the summer we'd have spent a lot more than we actually did.  It's strange that things are now so tight and that we're hearing the same basic stuff this January as we did last January.

Edit - and Besic for £6m rather than a loan deal.  

Quite clearly, we were prepared to spend a sizeable amount just a few months ago.

Adomah on deadline day as well, which would have been a permanent deal, so that would have been a couple of million maybe?

Remember.. It IS a January transfer window ... Not as many players available as in the summer...

It's like sending your kid to get milk, but all the shops are out of it .. Not making any excuses for the daft transfer team and politics we have.. Just keep in mind, that not all players are available.

Fletcher going the other way to help out?

Maybe but we should be careful because I think when I was looking at him in the summer this is his last year and he was Hull's top earner so they were trying to shift him anywhere just to get his wages gone so he should be in the last 6 months how much do we pay for him and do we give them a good deal on a future fee on Fletcher?

I can see it being viable just because of his situation and he must know Hull were trying to ditch him before he started hitting form so you'd think the player would welcome it, I think it makes sense maybe for everyone but he'd be another high earner over the age of 30 but I'm not worrying about that stuff the club seem not to if we gave 30 year old Downing a 4 year deal then 30 year old Grosicki deserves 3 you'd think.

Fletcher going the other way to help out?

Maybe but we should be careful because I think when I was looking at him in the summer this is his last year and he was Hull's top earner so they were trying to shift him anywhere just to get his wages gone so he should be in the last 6 months how much do we pay for him and do we give them a good deal on a future fee on Fletcher.

I can see it being viable just because of his situation and he must know Hull were trying to ditch him before he started hitting form so you'd think the player would welcome it, I think it makes sense maybe for everyone but he'd be another high earner over the age of 30 but I'm not worrying about that stuff the club seem not to if we gave 30 year old Downing a 4 year deal then 30 year old Grosicki deserves 3 you'd think.

Transfermarkt has his contract ending 2020. 30 yr old.

Gazette reporting that it's still between us and WBA for Murphy. So maybe that Telegraph guy knew something they didn't, or maybe he just jumped the gun

Gazette reporting that it's still between us and WBA for Murphy. So maybe that Telegraph guy knew something they didn't, or maybe he just jumped the gun

Sky were reporting that WBA were looking at Kamara from Fulham as an alternative to murphy.

He never said he had joined them. He just said they WBA were in talks with Newcastle and we’re hoping to do a straight loan before the deadline. It’s obviously still between the two clubs.

He never said he had joined them. He just said they WBA were in talks with Newcastle and we’re hoping to do a straight loan before the deadline. It’s obviously still between the two clubs.

He actually said

'West Brom are poised to complete the signing of #nufc winger Jacob Murphy before Thursday's deadline'

That makes it seem much further along than just talks.

The ExpressAndStar people might be the original source of the confidence of WBAs move they said WBA got signals from Murphy last week that gave them confidence they'd win any race for him they put up an update today saying he's WBAs no.1 target and are confident they've landed him so long as Newcastle sign a replacement.

But then again we were confident on Bolasie until we weren't so who knows wont be long to find out, the Echo seem to think we're still in the mix for Murphy for whatever that's worth they put it as us fending off a late attempt from WBA whereas the West Brom locals have the impression it's all sewn up and we're making the late attempt.