oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

It’s honestly laughable that Pulis has convinced a section of the supporters that the squad isn’t good enough to get us promoted, and they use this to defend him.

We have one of the most expensive squads in this league, I know we’re fifth but we’re still six points off the top two. We aren’t in a good position don’t kid yourselves that we are.

Over the last few months the majority of our points have been through Randolph keeping us in the game or a lucky own goal. There hasn’t been a game in a long time where we have completely deserved to win, and looking at who we have played over the last few months is worrying. Few tough games coming up, by mid Feb we will be out of the top six

Pulis did not need to convince me our squad isn’t good enough. It was obvious.

The cost of the squad is surely nothing to do with Pulis. As you have stated despite all the flak we are still in 5th with the top 2 to play at home. I would agree the football at times has not been great but it is no worse than we had under Momk, Karanka or Mclaren.

Randolph has made some good saves, but surely as one of the best keepers in the division it is what he is meant to do. Agree though a few tough games ahead.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s honestly laughable that Pulis has convinced a section of the supporters that the squad isn’t good enough to get us promoted, and they use this to defend him.

We have one of the most expensive squads in this league, I know we’re fifth but we’re still six points off the top two. We aren’t in a good position don’t kid yourselves that we are.

Over the last few months the majority of our points have been through Randolph keeping us in the game or a lucky own goal. There hasn’t been a game in a long time where we have completely deserved to win, and looking at who we have played over the last few months is worrying. Few tough games coming up, by mid Feb we will be out of the top six

The cost of the squad is surely nothing to do with Pulis. As you have stated despite all the flak we are still in 5th with the top 2 to play at home. I would agree the football at times has not been great but it is no worse than we had under Momk, Karanka or Mclaren.

Randolph has made some good saves, but surely as one of the best keepers in the division it is what he is meant to do. Agree though a few tough games ahead.

In what way is the football no worse than under Monk, McClaren and Karanka? We are scoring a lot less goals, making a lot less passes, having less possession and playing more long balls than under any of those 3.

In what way is the football no worse than under Monk, McClaren and Karanka? We are scoring a lot less goals, making a lot less passes, having less possession and playing more long balls than under any of those 3.

Monks football was disjointed, lacked ny sort of pattern and left us so vulnerable it was laughable. The latter days of Mclaren was much like Karankas, defend, try to nick a goal and shut up shop. The last few months have not been any worse than that to my eyes and the beginning of the season was much better.

The football is much worse under Pulis. Much worse. (Unless you are counting the last bit of Monk and Karanka’s tenure before they were fired - but that undermines your point a bit so I assume you don’t)

Pulis is one dimensional and has been found out. I do not believe that he will be able to fix it with 2 quick wide players, no matter how much he moans about transfers. Give me a current example of another team using his tactics successfully? I can’t see one.

Not good enough? Randolph, Fry, Ayala, Baath, Clayton, Howson, Braithwaite, Assombalonga probably walk into most sides in this league. If he honestly thinks the squad isn’t good enough then why did he let our best striker go and sign two average midfielders for 12 million.

The fact we have the top two to play at home doesn’t really mean much considering Sheffield Wednesday battered us at home this week.

And this is the worst football I can remember a Boro side playing, and I’m sure the majority on here will agree with that. Along with the majority of West Brom and palace fans

Monks football was disjointed, lacked ny sort of pattern and left us so vulnerable it was laughable. The latter days of Mclaren was much like Karankas, defend, try to nick a goal and shut up shop. The last few months have not been any worse than that to my eyes and the beginning of the season was much better.

I’d love a pair of whatever glasses you’ve been wearing. When Karanka was in charge, we had scored 3 or more in a game 7 times after 25 matches of the season. We’ve done it just once this season under Pulis. Are you describing Pulis or Karanka by defend, try to nick a goal and shut up shop?

The latter days of McClarens era? What like the 4-1 and 4-2 wins over Basel and Steaua?

Not good enough? Randolph, Fry, Ayala, Baath, Clayton, Howson, Braithwaite, Assombalonga probably walk into most sides in this league. If he honestly thinks the squad isn’t good enough then why did he let our best striker go and sign two average midfielders for 12 million.

The fact we have the top two to play at home doesn’t really mean much considering Sheffield Wednesday battered us at home this week.

And this is the worst football I can remember a Boro side playing, and I’m sure the majority on here will agree with that. Along with the majority of West Brom and palace fans

I didnt think our squad was good enough. Braithwaite was briliant until the transfer window shut and has since goe missing. Ask him if he wants to walk into any other championship side with the attitude he has shown. Disgrace. The other 6 you mention have done ok though. Not exactly a squad mind. I m sure none of them have been or will get injured. Was our best striker Bamford? He’s pulling up trees at Leeds and if he wanted to stay he could have. In a way I agree with you about the midfielders but the way Mclair has been in and out makes me think he may not have eally been a Pulis choice. Who knows what the hierarchy s when it comes to signings. Saville has done ok and I think with Leadbitters contract up at the end of the season he was signed with that in mind.

If we can get some more attacking players in I think we will be well up for Leeds and Norwich, I will be and I would imagine the stadium will have a better atmosphere than boxing day, which will lift the players.

What people enjoy watching is a subjective thing and their opinions have to be respected obviously. Some of what I have watched has been pretty dour but n the whole its been ok. I dont know any West Brom or Palace fans so not sure on that one.

Why wouldn’t I sack monk?

I dont really know what his brief was. He has stated it was getting to the play offs and rebalancing expenditure so I presume that was it.

Looking at most of the message boards he hasn’t lowered any expectations as a lot of people dont seem happy with our position.

Yeah I know he hasn't lowered expectations because most Boro fans would expect us to challenge for promotion either way.  You seem to have lower expectations however so it's worked on some people it would seem?

Based on what you have written so far I was trying to understand whether you would have sacked Monk or not?  I'm still not sure to be honest.  It seems you would but at the same time you appear to have convinced yourself that Pulis is doing a good job.  I'm just wondering what you'd be judging both on.

I know you didn't write it on the above post but you can't actually be serious that the football hasn't been worse than under those previous managers you mentioned?  I think even people who like Pulis would probably disagree with that.  We have been awful at times and have gotten away with it because we have a squad that is much better than a number of the clubs in the division.

I just can't understand how this guy has never been chased down by the Welsh national team given how good he is.

Could you imagine the conversation....."now look Gareth, all of these so-called managers obviously never played to your strengths. You were born a left back and that's where I'll play you....And don't worry about all that getting forward stuff. We don't want to tire you out. You just stay in your own half. The big guy up front might nick us a goal, or the opposition might even score an own goal"

Why wouldn’t I sack monk?

I dont really know what his brief was. He has stated it was getting to the play offs and rebalancing expenditure so I presume that was it.

Looking at most of the message boards he hasn’t lowered any expectations as a lot of people dont seem happy with our position.

Yeah I know he hasn't lowered expectations because most Boro fans would expect us to challenge for promotion either way.  You seem to have lower expectations however so it's worked on some people it would seem?

Based on what you have written so far I was trying to understand whether you would have sacked Monk or not?  I'm still not sure to be honest.  It seems you would but at the same time you appear to have convinced yourself that Pulis is doing a good job.  I'm just wondering what you'd be judging both on.

I know you didn't write it on the above post but you can't actually be serious that the football hasn't been worse than under those previous managers you mentioned?  I think even people who like Pulis would probably disagree with that.  We have been awful at times and have gotten away with it because we have a squad that is much better than a number of the clubs in the division.

I dont have lower expectations. We are challenging for promotion. I have realistic expectations. We have an unbalanced squad and are in toch with the top 2 and have a bit of a buffer on 7th. Its pretty obvious though that if we dont add pace, creativity and goals it will be a bit like the second half of last season.

I would never have appointed monk in the first place but that was not your question. I would definitely have sacked him, though I would really like to know the recruitment team / manager dynamic. How he was allowed to spend the amount he did on the players he did is baffling and maybe he is not totally to blame. Pulis is doing a decent job in my view. Not a view shared by everyone on here but who knows if this board is representative of our supporters. The people I speak to seem to respect what TP is doing. I dont need any convincing on that part

I am not sure why you think I am not serious about my comments about the standard of football. Why would I write them if I wasn’t? As I have said, the people I speak to who go feel that also. Our squad is probably good at not getting beat but lacks a cutting edge. Hopefully that will be addressedthe next monthand we will see what happens.

Where’s this crap about Britt not wanting to be here and being disruptive come from? Britt’s just bought a new house in the area and is very happy here, he gets in very well with the squad and has never asked to leave.

Where’s this crap about Britt not wanting to be here and being disruptive come from? Britt’s just bought a new house in the area and is very happy here, he gets in very well with the squad and has never asked to leave.

it does seem to have come out of nowhere that one tbh, his general manner on match days seems to suggest he's happy and doesn't have any issues with anyone. Unlike Braithinho who you can clearly see is miserable and just merely going through the motions

"MIDDLESBROUGH are set to make a January move for Jonas Knudsen - with Ipswich boss Paul Lambert increasingly resigned to losing the Danish full-back next month.

Rajiv Van La Parra is set to become Boro's first January signing in the next couple of days after watching yesterday's game from the directors' box at the Riverside.

Van La Parra will sign a season-long loan deal from Huddersfield, with a clause for a permanent transfer at the end of the season"

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/17326364.transfer-boost-for-middlesbrough-as-long-term-target-is-set-to-move/

To be fair to Monk we’d just came off a relegation season, barely scoring, the confidence completely gone and he was asked to go out there and play attacking football. As we’ve seen from his time at Leeds and Brum, let him get the house in order and the rest will follow.