oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

Marco Branca was also far too good for our level. He only played a handful of games due to injury, but I don't think we've had a finisher like him since, maybe with the exception of Jimmy Floyd.

I bloody loved him...

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Marco Branca was also far too good for our level. He only played a handful of games due to injury, but I don't think we've had a finisher like him since, maybe with the exception of Jimmy Floyd.

Yeah Branca was a brilliant footballer, I think he would have transferred his form to the premier league as well if it wasn't for his injury.

Unless Pulis has someone better lined up I fail to see the benefit of letting Fletcher go , unless it is a sweetner for said deal.

Gestede's time seem up and for all his 2 goals on saturday I just dont think Britt fits us , so why let go of someone with obvious talent

Unless Pulis has someone better lined up I fail to see the benefit of letting Fletcher go , unless it is a sweetner for said deal.

Gestede's time seem up and for all his 2 goals on saturday I just dont think Britt fits us , so why let go of someone with obvious talent

Assombalonga doesn't fit the way we play under Pulis, but I don't think Pulis will be here next season if we don't go up. Britt is good in a team where he gets support and I reckon we will try to transition to playing more attractive football (won't be hard considering the baseline set at the moment).

With Fletcher we wont be able to recuperate anywhere near the money we spent and it looks like there's a player in there, I can see where loaning him out for game time could help. But I think it would be more advantageous to have him in the matchday squad...

obviously as name implies, I have watched Boro for many years, but cannot agree with inflated opinion of Merson, he had skill, but no heart and disappeared too often when it mattered....a British Emerson.....as an ancient relic, I have been lucky enough to see at least five players superior in skill and heart not playing in top flight, any one of whom would probably walk into current squad...Murdoch, Souness, Craig Johnston, Gascoigne and Gary Hamilton....Mersonary is how many referred to the guy and although talented, he was just Ramirez Mk 1....but if he was available now and we could afford him, I would take him till end of season ...with a minder :)

guess im an old codger too as i remember going to watch all those plus i caught the latter days of  stan andersons boro . 

regarding Merson , yeah i do remember some negatives but majorly off field related. He certainly imo was the main reason we got straight back up.  Cant agree with 3 of those 5 you mentioned ,for differing reasons. Gazza was a massive letdown and a bad decision in signing, Hamilton was a grrafter and always gave 100% but limited.and tbh Murdoch was too old and too overweight player wise but he was a great addition to the squad in a lot of ways other than actually playing.

one midfielder id have loved to have seen at a better time or in a better boro team  was Heine Otto.

Souness was the best player weve ever had taking everything into account , closely followed by TLF and Viduka.

Fletcher is an interesting one, as it does look like there is talent there. I guess the question is will that talent be better nurtured with a loan move or by trying to build his confidence in the first team here. After what happened at Sunderland, I would be tempted to say the second option.

Fletcher is an interesting one, as it does look like there is talent there. I guess the question is will that talent be better nurtured with a loan move or by trying to build his confidence in the first team here. After what happened at Sunderland, I would be tempted to say the second option.

I'd loan him out but I'd make sure it's to a decent club with a good manager unlike last season.

Well Knudsen was out of sight out of minded by Lambert again at the weekend so if he is the LB that the Gazette say Pulis wants as a priority signing you've got to think that should have some movement in it this week. The club are saying they'll only loan Fletcher out and only if Pulis can replace him but I mean what does Pulis mean replace him he doesn't get in league matchday squads despite being fit?

Fletcher going on loan to Sunderland for half a season in the dismal team they were is a completely different scenario than us loaning him to Hull with in form wingers Grosicki and Bowen either side of him. Scenario mid February after we've loaned him to Hull he's getting a goal every game/every other game and we're pushing Hugill out up front, Britt on the bench I mean I don't know about the logic here I really don't because unless him and Rudy are out the door that's the only scenario I can see Pulis 'replacing' Fletcher if we're sat mid February in a situation where he's flourishing at Hull and we have the same old strikers struggling questions should be asked there.

That Bulgarian link, he's just won Bulgarians footballer of the year maybe a week ago? So looks like he's gaining some hype this might be a case of a tenuous link to say 'look how in demand this guy is' but he does look like a good player if the link's true.

Also seen Braithwaite's said today he hopes he plays striker for Leganes I mean that's what we paid the money for in the first place not a 10 or a winger, hopefully he gets a run keeps them up and they buy him in the summer.

Well Knudsen was out of sight out of minded by Lambert again at the weekend so if he is the LB that the Gazette say Pulis wants as a priority signing you've got to think that should have some movement in it this week. The club are saying they'll only loan Fletcher out and only if Pulis can replace him but I mean what does Pulis mean replace him he doesn't get in league matchday squads despite being fit?

Fletcher going on loan to Sunderland for half a season in the dismal team they were is a completely different scenario than us loaning him to Hull with in form wingers Grosicki and Bowen either side of him. Scenario mid February after we've loaned him to Hull he's getting a goal every game/every other game and we're pushing Hugill out up front, Britt on the bench I mean I don't know about the logic here I really don't because unless him and Rudy are out the door that's the only scenario I can see Pulis 'replacing' Fletcher if we're sat mid February in a situation where he's flourishing at Hull and we have the same old strikers struggling questions should be asked there.

That Bulgarian link, he's just won Bulgarians footballer of the year maybe a week ago? So looks like he's gaining some hype this might be a case of a tenuous link to say 'look how in demand this guy is' but he does look like a good player if the link's true.

Also seen Braithwaite's said today he hopes he plays striker for Leganes I mean that's what we paid the money for in the first place not a 10 or a winger, hopefully he gets a run keeps them up and they buy him in the summer.

That's one scenario, another could be that he goes to Hull and can't get in the team.

For the majority of his time here he hasn't looked good enough, I don't think it's cut and dried that he'll go elsewhere and start banging in the goals.

Branca is before me but from memory, Yakubu is right up there, for me. Him and Viduka were a lethal partnership.

That's one scenario, another could be that he goes to Hull and can't get in the team.

For the majority of his time here he hasn't looked good enough, I don't think it's cut and dried that he'll go elsewhere and start banging in the goals.

That's the problem I have with this, his time here has really been 2 August-January spells, the first one under Monk he was on a wing and perceptions were built in about how awful he was but I mean he was never bought to be a winger I thought he was a lanky striker with a bit of technique. Then we ship him off to SUNDERLAND I mean if they loaned Aguero I'm not sure they'd have stayed up they were an abysmal team, then he comes back has a 'meh' pre season but every single Carabao Cup game he was one of our best players/MOTM himself and the same thing vs Peterborough yet he couldn't make a league bench between September and December and now we're at the start of January talking about loaning him out again.

That's my problem with all of this we don't know how good he could be or is not because of injuries but because of some behind the scenes thing where no matter how well he's done for Pulis he couldn't even make the matchday squad so that's my contention here is the perception that there's a depth of evidence in the case against Fletcher but to be honest I see the opposite I can't believe our priority is loaning him out I'd wager he'd do as good a job as Hugill does up front and offer us more in his link up and runs beyond the opposition defence.

Believe me under Monk I was the first guy to call out how awful he looked but man I don't know he's put in some of the most impressive solo performances from any of our strikers for me this season I get it's in the cup but he's had basically 0 league opportunities. Another issue is another loan spell until the summer if he flies at Hull he'll want to leave if he does nothing we're in the same boat in the summer either way there's no future at the football club for him and if I were him I'd probably understand that by now as well myself I just can't understand it but the club make their own decisions so whatever I guess.

Fletcher is younger than Wing, both have barely played any first team football at a high level. Definitely think there is a player in Fletcher if he can be nurtured correctly...

I’d like to see more of fletcher in that left sided role, as the lone striker he just got bullied out of games far to easily.

I’m certain it’s a mental thing with him as every now and then the switch comes on and he does something decent, but most of the time he looks like a timid puppy.

He’s got pace and height, add a bit of strength, aggression and confidence and he would be a pretty good player. He also seems to get a good scoring chance or 2 everytime he plays so he clearly knows the movement side of things.

Fletcher is younger than Wing, both have barely played any first team football at a high level. Definitely think there is a player in Fletcher if he can be nurtured correctly...

aren't they both 23?