oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread.

why would you be a hard no on Sawyers? He's a talented lad can direct play very well.

I think he's one of those that looks great in a certain system where he's always got movement left, right and in front of him I'm not seeing the role he'd fit right now our closest thing to a link up man is probably Howson since Mo usually holds the ball too long and Clayton's deeper.

Could you effectively play Sawyers and Saville together as well there's no value in dropping Saville into a deeper role he's way less effective that's why Wolves sold him in the first place. We have a habit of signing players who don't fit our system I think Sawyers would have been perfect for Monk but for what we need and how we play? I'm not so sure.

My main gripe whenever we're linked with Brentford players in general is pretty simple which players have they sold over the years who have looked better at their new club? Andre Gray is the only one I can think of maybe Tarkowski/Grigg I guess as well. Hogan/Odubajo/Jota/Bidwell/Dean/Diagouraga/Woods/Colin/Vibe all haven't looked like the players those clubs thought they bought I'm very sceptical about us buying Brentford players for that reason too.

all fair arguments. I liked Sawyers back from his Walsall days so I might be a little biased here.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Pompeysmog any more interest in that winger from Pompy? What's there local rag saying?

I txt my mate as i am back in NE now ( should amend my username). West brom apparently have had bid rejected, reported 2m but he says about half plus add ons, and dpependent on what happens with matt phillips. leeds are sniffing around and one prem club interested in a buy and loan back. Nothing from 'Boro that he has heard

Pompeysmog any more interest in that winger from Pompy? What's there local rag saying?

I txt my mate as i am back in NE now ( should amend my username). West brom apparently have had bid rejected, reported 2m but he says about half plus add ons, and dpependent on what happens with matt phillips. leeds are sniffing around and one prem club interested in a buy and loan back. Nothing from 'Boro that he has heard

Cheers fella! We should be all over that!!

We have so many players on long-term contracts and wages higher than their ability merits, especially in attacking areas, so I think that's going to restrict our willingness and ability to sign many attacking players for permanent deals on three or four year deals. Gestede and Leadbitter still have 18 months left to run on their contracts. Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Fletcher and Johnson have 2 and a half years also. The majority of them are attack minded players, so I'll understand if we're going to think long and hard about the long term financial commitment of any permanent deals we'll make for attackers -baring in mind we are already carrying lots of excess baggage in them positions. Hopefully Pulis still has the budget to sign one or two exciting attackers on permanent deals (eg Maja and Lowe) if we're sure they're going to be shrewd signings for us as we can't just let good signings slip through our grasps.

Our transfer strategy has largely been based around loan deals since Pulis arrived, probably as we were stuck with the mess left by his predecessors in the transfer market, so I think that's still going to play a big role for at least the next 18 months or so while we ease the financial side of things. The splurge under Monk is akin to the splurge under Strachan where we threw money at chasing promotion but only created more problems in the long-term, which takes time to clear up.

Glad the last page of the 5 pages of 10 post i just read, was about transfers .. One moment I thought this was the Adam Clayton thread :D

Clayton is btw good, if he is not next to Besic and/or Downing..

9 days in and only player in is VLP?

Only player out is Ripley?

Hopefully more will happen both ways!

Signing players like Maupay would just be another Assombalonga for £15 million and £40,000 a week type scenario. For that reason we surely can't have an interest in Maupay. I'd like to think so at least  :disappointed: We need to be far cleverer in the transfer market so that we can sign players like Maupay before they establish themselves at this level and prices skyrocket. Spending them sorts of figures to sign players from our rivals just isn't a sustainable and progressive strategy for a Championship club like us that can't outspend our competitors anymore. Moving towards a more proactive and long-term strategy would take Steve Gibson delegating power to more football people - such as a director of football - for a moderate to long period of time. That's something that's alien to him though so I'd hazard a guess that we'll remain making the same impulsive mistakes. We had Victor Orta but Gibson got cold feet after a season that was always going to be difficult after promotion to the Premier League.

Agree with that, would be kind of annoying to see us buy maupay for £15m and wba get Jamal Lowe and Maja for £5m for example.

Lots of fans seem to get accused of wanting us to always throw money around but I don’t think that’s true at all based on my own opinion and reading posts on here.

If anything more of our fans want us to go for players like Lowe or Callum Robinson, someone who you can look at and see the potential.

Yes there are more Marvin Johnson’s around than Ollie Watkins, but I think we’ve more than proved that buying the established expensive players is just as hit and miss.

As someone else said I see no point spending a fortune on maupay when we already have Britt, no way would maupay bring £15m worth of improvement to our attack, we need another Gaston.

If we want to spend big spend it on Watkins or Bowen or even both. Despadov was rated about £5m and would improve us, Jamal lowe at £2m or whatever would improve us.

We need full backs aswell, I think people really underrate full backs when it comes to attacking play, they really widen the pitch in formations like ours using wide forwards rather than wingers.

There is no chance we are signing Maupay!

We simply don't have the cash to spend on a big investment on players until we trim our wage bill significantly.

The Maupay story came from sky who said specifically we do have money to spend but balked at the 20m price tag put on him which I completely understand it's an insane price tag if we seriously entertained Maupay I'm guessing we'd have figured 10/12 million which means we could be in for a ride if we're splurging cash like that around on the 'right' couple of players.

Do not pay too much attention to this sudden wage bill talk I mean seriously after we tried to get Ritchie and Bolasie in the summer on 70k a week cry me a river about wage bills Tony he's doing what all managers do in the press, lie which is fine. You can't think we've gone from willing to pay Everton a transfer fee for Bolasie and bidding on Joe Bryan/Wallace/Freeman/Ritchie/Vokes/Waghorn/ to suddenly having no money 4 months later surely you haven't fell for that shtick, right?