• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Rob, today was almost the greatest day of my life and the almost bit is probably down to you so now I'm angry  :@  

I've long been disappointed with the lack of smilies on the site.  Yes there are some and I do occasionally get some use out of them but the selection is still quite small and it limits my creativity.  No doubt others feel the same (except for Pulis who doesn't do creativity of course).  Anyway, just a few moments ago as I was authoring another dazzlingly witty post on here I right clicked on the, well I don't know the technical name of it, but the typey box thingy and something called Emoji appeared at the top of a little menu.  Now, I'm pretty thick really but even I know that Emojis equals Smilies and so I clicked on it to see what would happen.  

O M G!!!

There were emojis everywhere!!  All different types, lots of different face ones and then people ones and objects and everything.  I'm not sure mere words are enough to do it justice but it was A-MAZE-ING.  I sat staring for a few moments, scarcely believing my own eyes because this just couldn't be true, could it?  I scrolled through them in wonderment and a strange kind of peace engulfed me.  Yes Boro are the most boring team in the entire history of the game but now I can make the most exciting posts the world has ever known while moaning about it all.  

Tentatively I selected a few of the new emojis to add to my post and prayed that they would appear on the screen correctly...they did!  I finished writing my hilarious post and then clicked on the post reply button.  I was imagining all of the posts of congratulations I would be receiving and the questions as to how I'd magicked up some new emojis when my face fell flat  :disappointed: :( In place of where my emojis should have been were just four question marks.  I didn't take a screenshot to show you but here is an artists impression I have done so you can kinda see what it looked like: ????

To say that I'm crestfallen would be an understatement.  I have used a couple of smilies to show my disappointment but it's nowhere near enough really.  It seems wrong to tease us with more smilies or emojis but then to take them away from us at the final glorious moment of triumph.  To be replaced with question marks just feels like you're mocking us into the bargain.

So what I'd like to know is where did my bloody emojis go and how do I get them to stay in my posts?

Hey, so the issue with emojis is an annoying one and one which I’ll look at the best way to approach.

The encoding of the forum database doesn’t save the character encoding required for the emojis. The change to allow them to work will be to either bump to the latest database version or change the ch***t encoding, both of which I want to stay cautious about based on the 600k+ posts we have on here.

A corrupt database isn’t the best of fun :(

Hey, so the issue with emojis is an annoying one and one which I’ll look at the best way to approach.

The encoding of the forum database doesn’t save the character encoding required for the emojis. The change to allow them to work will be to either bump to the latest database version or change the ch***t encoding, both of which I want to stay cautious about based on the 600k+ posts we have on here.

A corrupt database isn’t the best of fun :(

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I've already told you I'm pretty thick so what makes you think I can understand any of that!  I recognise the word annoying as I hear that a lot and I recognise the word fun because I am but other than that it's all Geek to me I'm afraid.

Haha, to summarise...

- it’s annoying the forum doesn’t support native emojis at the moment

- it’s possible to allow them

- it’s risky to do the change to allow them

- things aren’t fun to fix when they break

:D

Just a thought, but if the site was cloned to a staging server, then the database upgrade/ch***t encoding updates could be applied and the fall out could be assessed without affecting the live site.

I'm sure Rob has already thought of that and it's still a fair bit of work!

I just really want to see what CT can do with unlimited emojis.