oneBoro Forum

Forum issues, bugs, updates and comments

Just a thought, but if the site was cloned to a staging server, then the database upgrade/ch***t encoding updates could be applied and the fall out could be assessed without affecting the live site.

I'm sure Rob has already thought of that and it's still a fair bit of work!

I just really want to see what CT can do with unlimited emojis.

I'd like to see CT trying to understand what you said....  :oops:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

@Will, yeah I managed to speak to someone at Tapatalk. They offer two options, firstly, a fully managed forum/community platform where they deal with everything (updates, hosting, new features...), secondly, a mobile application around your current forum.

As much as I like the idea of a fully managed solution, I was put off by some reviews and comments around Tapatalk holding the forum data 'hostage'. They'd be the ones in control of the data, so could choose to sell it on, use it in any way they like, and also refuse to hand the data back to you if you decide to leave. It didn't sit too well with me.

The mobile application wrapper for the forum is something I was keen to install, as I know other forums use it. I did a bit more research and digging around and saw some hit-and-miss reviews. When you install the Tapatalk plugin, they expose an API to the forum and then use this to read/write to the database. Some comments were that this slowed down all requests on both the mobile app and for users still accessing it via a web browser, along with hijacking all web and mobile requests to hit their API endpoint (and track web traffic).

I've been looking into other forum/community systems, both paid for and Open Source, but I can't see any that I feel a modern day forum should be. XenForo does look good, but I'm not overly sure it adds any functionality that can't be achieved on the current oneBoro forum.

I'm looking to make some updates to the forum, which I'll provide more details with in the coming weeks, which should add some new functionality and improved usability.

I'll keep an eye out for other platforms, and please let me know anyone is aware of any others, or features of other forums that may be a good fit on here.

Cheers