• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

As for downing, I agree that he hasn't been bad this season but he hasn't exactly been good either.

Put it this way, he is one of the 3 men on the pitch more or less every game who is charged with winning us points. Can anyone think of any games this season where this has happened?

I think it's more down to him being 34 so surely can't be a person to build a team around. If Downing aged 35 is still starting for us next season then we'll have had awful transfer windows this upcoming January and Summer.

oh yeah, definitely, it's ridiculous that we're still so reliant on him, but he's not been bad this season.

He hasn't been good either, which is maybe the more pertinent point to make.  Building a squad of players that 'have not been bad' isn't really a recipe for success I'd say.  He has two goals and one assist this season, for an 'attacking' player that's not very good.  Last season it was three goals and seven assists in total and in our promotion season it was three goals and five assists.  There's no reason to believe these figures will suddenly increase especially as he's 34 years old.  We aren't reliant on him, he just gets selected in the team pretty much every week.

Howson is wasted in a negative defensive system that doesn't allow the midfield to get close to the strikers. He's one of a number of players who scored plenty at their previous clubs but suddenly become impotent at Boro: Britt, Saville, Gestede, Flint, Hugill, Braithwaite, McNair all a*** the goals at previous clubs in the not too distant past

I would be very wary of binning off players that could potentially thrive under a new manager and style of play.

I think it's more down to him being 34 so surely can't be a person to build a team around. If Downing aged 35 is still starting for us next season then we'll have had awful transfer windows this upcoming January and Summer.

oh yeah, definitely, it's ridiculous that we're still so reliant on him, but he's not been bad this season.

He hasn't been good either, which is maybe the more pertinent point to make.  Building a squad of players that 'have not been bad' isn't really a recipe for success I'd say.  He has two goals and one assist this season, for an 'attacking' player that's not very good.  Last season it was three goals and seven assists in total and in our promotion season it was three goals and five assists.  There's no reason to believe these figures will suddenly increase especially as he's 34 years old.  We aren't reliant on him, he just gets selected in the team pretty much every week.

I think there have been many worse players this season than Downing, so to be so keen to sell him seem ridiculous to me.. I'm not saying build the team around him, but if the choice is only 'keep' or 'replace', then surely he's a keeper. Unless you want to go out and try to sign a player to replace him too.. but given our abject failure of the passed decade or so to sign players I wouldn't like to risk that.

I think we have to risk it but yeah we have to get it right.  He's 35 in July, if he was playing well I suppose that wouldn't matter so much but as he isn't I can't see a single reason to put him in the keep list.

we'll have to agree to disagree. Sounds like you're the kinda guy who's happy to cut his nose off to spite his face.

I think we have to risk it but yeah we have to get it right.  He's 35 in July, if he was playing well I suppose that wouldn't matter so much but as he isn't I can't see a single reason to put him in the keep list.

we'll have to agree to disagree. Sounds like you're the kinda guy who's happy to cut his nose off to spite his face.

When it gets this big you have to :liar:

send the loans back buy hugill, get shot of rudy, fletch an braithe. bring in 3 widemen and some lower league fullbacks with promise for cheap. job done.

team balance will be miles better with real width and hunger in the side. batth and besic off the wage bill with braithe fletch and rudy. we'd have a smaller wage bill to.

Problem with Downing is the wages as much as anything. I wouldn’t mind keeping him but would offer him less than half his wages to stay as he simply doesn’t contribute enough goals or assists for the amount he is paid. He probably could be played centrally, just ahead of Clayton to spread the ball - as his passing is still quality - but we have no fast wide player to pass to and we already have saville, howson, wing and besic all in that position. Actually i’m talking myself out of keeping him...

send the loans back buy hugill, get shot of rudy, fletch an braithe. bring in 3 widemen and some lower league fullbacks with promise for cheap.  job done.

team balance will be miles better with real width and hunger in the side.  batth and besic off the wage bill with braithe fletch and rudy. we'd have a smaller wage bill to.

Why on earth would you want to do that???

send the loans back buy hugill, get shot of rudy, fletch an braithe. bring in 3 widemen and some lower league fullbacks with promise for cheap.  job done.

team balance will be miles better with real width and hunger in the side.  batth and besic off the wage bill with braithe fletch and rudy. we'd have a smaller wage bill to.

Why on earth would you want to do that???

ah yeah, I didn't spot that when I gave him a like..! I'm pretty sure it's just a spelling mistake.. autocorrect has done him over. In fairness Hugill does have several positive traits, but sadly goalscoring doesn't appear to be one of them