oneBoro Forum

Karanka replaced by Martin O'Neil

Reportedly AK is facing the sack for not reaching his end of year target - while rumours are that he is to be sacked for speaking to Steve Gibson the club are citing failure to secure a top six place by January.

Anyone heard anything and would you want him back?

For me hes the best thing to happen to this club for years and I'd have him back in a heart beat.

anyone else?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/12/26/aitor-karanka-faces-nottingham-forest-sack-falling-short-end/

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Reportedly AK is facing the sack for not reaching his end of year target - while rumours are that he is to be sacked for speaking to Steve Gibson the club are citing failure to secure a top six place by January.

For me hes the best thing to happen to this club for years and I'd have him back in a heart beat.

anyone else?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/12/26/aitor-karanka-faces-nottingham-forest-sack-falling-short-end/

No for Three reasons..

1 managers should never go back to there old clubs as it more often that not doesn't work out.  

2 We should move on from defensive football and accept we are not going up this season so may as well play some decent attacking football with another manager.

3 Downing still rules the roost here (evident by how many managers stick with him and afraid to drop him) and will only cause trouble if he comes back.

anyone else?

No for Three reasons..

1 managers should never go back to there old clubs as it more often that not doesn't work out.  

2 We should move on from defensive football and accept we are not going up this season so may as well play some decent attacking football with another manager.

3 Downing still rules the roost here (evident by how many managers stick with him and afraid to drop him) and will only cause trouble if he comes back.

But you thought Pulis was a great appointment..................

If it was a straight shootout between Kranky and Pulis it would be Karanka 1bazillion%.

However I do wish we'd move on from being boring Boro, I know it shouldn't really make any difference but for once it'd be nice to have a little envy from other clubs for the way we are playing. 

Oh and isn't Downing done here at the end of the season anyways? (fingers crossed)

I’d rather have a manager that wanted to play attacking football and don’t generally think going back to old players/managers works BUT given our very defensive squad we would be well suited to him returning. It still wouldn’t solve problems with recruitment but I’d have him over Pulis (hell - I’d take anyone). Think Gibson will probably steer clear due to what happened at Charlton (which was pretty unforgivable - but most of those players are now gone) and given his response to Karanka leaving - selling all our Spanish speaking players except Traore.

Really though, we should be looking for a young ex-pro (Carrick?) or someone tearing up the lower leagues (Luton manager?) - both would have the desire we desperately need. It’s Probably excessively negative (given we are in the playoff spots) but I see us struggling in the next few years with less money, a new manager and no reform of the back office unless Gibson sells.

If it was a straight shootout between Kranky and Pulis it would be Karanka 1bazillion%.

However I do wish we'd move on from being boring Boro, I know it shouldn't really make any difference but for once it'd be nice to have a little envy from other clubs for the way we are playing. 

Oh and isn't Downing done here at the end of the season anyways? (fingers crossed)

Forest have been far from boring this season - they embarrassed us at our place

anyone else?

No for Three reasons..

If you asked me now whos a better manager karanka or Pulis having watched them both now, Karanka 100%. I thought Pulis was a great appointment yes at the time because them players knew how to play under Karanka and was mistaken in believing Pulis and Karanka played almost exactly the same (i was not alone in that btw). I got it wrong with Pulis, its not just Karanka or Pulis though they are not the only two managers available for us.

anyone else?

No for Three reasons..

If you asked me now whos a better manager karanka or Pulis having watched them both now, Karanka 100%. I thought Pulis was a great appointment yes at the time because them players knew how to play under Karanka and was mistaken in believing Pulis and Karanka played almost exactly the same (i was not alone in that btw). I got it wrong with Pulis, its not just Karanka or Pulis though they are not the only two managers available for us.

But the info I received is he's getting sacked for talking to Gibson about coming here, the "not reaching end of year target" is a smoke screen but confirms what was said at the match, the info was received before the news report came out

anyone else?

No for Three reasons..

But the info I received is he's getting sacked for talking to Gibson about coming here, the "not reaching end of year target" is a smoke screen but confirms what was said at the match, the info was received before the news report came out

Understood but i am saying hes not the only manager looking for a job, why go backwards by been sentimental we have enough of that with the coaching staff.

Mourinho returned to Chelsea and won the title again !!!!

I would have him over pulis but I think I'd rather have a guy with fresh ideas. Carrick is a great shout btw.

I second your thoughts mate, would take AK back if it were a shout between him and TP. However I would love to keep with our tradition and appoint a young aspiring coach to help reset the current defensive blueprint and help restart a more attacking one with our academy being more integrated with the 1st team.

Agree with what’s been said, I’d have Karanka back but I’d hope we look for newer options first.

Also if we got Karanka back what changes? There are to many safe plays there for him, all the old favourites. Friend and Clayton keep their starring roles and we have no wide players and barely have a rb so god knows how he’d play his standard 4231.

The positives are I think he would get more from Britt, saville and besic, if a player does respond to his methods they improve hugely. Hopefully we’d have enough midfield options where he’d try something different, wing and howson or howson and besic for example.

I also think we’d get better players in January with Karanka than pulis.

So again if it’s an ‘either/or’ choice then Karanka wins everytime, but I’d rather get a fresher option in. Had enough of us being the boring team who sets out to spoil a game rather than play in it.

Personally I like Karanka, even when things were at their worst they weren't that bad and it was an exciting time to be a boro fan.

I'd be very cautious at taking him back though purely because of how it ended and the feeling around the club at the time. Boro love a nostalgia trip though so I wouldn't be surprised by it.