oneBoro Forum

Boro v Peterborough (FA Cup 3rd Round) 5-0 (Assombalonga (2) Friend, Wing, Fletcher)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

What a half... some fantastic goals. Should build the team around young talent like Wing Tav and Fry.

Will be a travesty if this lot all get dropped for the one paced plodders aka Flint Downing Besic Hugill

Hell I'd even give Fletcher a run on todays performance, thought he was one of the best players on the pitch (bar Wings 2nd half).

When we announce Fletcher's joined Hull on loan I already know my reaction

giphy.gif

Feel like he could have been utilized more in the past few months I mean if the only retort you have for me Pulis is he needs to have more personality while you're fielding the 34 year old every week I mean I'm going to need something else to go on here. It'll break me when we loan him out, don't sign a striker, spend the whole month trying to ditch Britt because 'muh wage bill' or something then be stuck watching Hugill whilst Fletcher's got Bowen and Grosicki either side of him racking up goals.

Maybe I'm wrong on all of it maybe Fletcher's fluked out every cup game where he's looked very good maybe in training he looks bad but by that same logic Wing must have looked bad in training so I don't know man I don't know.

What a half... some fantastic goals. Should build the team around young talent like Wing Tav and Fry.

Will be a travesty if this lot all get dropped for the one paced plodders aka Flint Downing Besic Hugill

Hell I'd even give Fletcher a run on todays performance, thought he was one of the best players on the pitch (bar Wings 2nd half).

Feel bad for Fletcher because he was actually given a go in the league on the left against Blackburn but then Mo 'Brain of Bosnia' Besic went and got himself sent off after a few minutes. Fletch was subbed and didn't get another look in until today

Enjoyed that game. Nice to see Boro score 5. One who hasn’t been mentioned too much is young Walker. I know he only got around 15-20 minutes but I was impressed with him. He buzzed around and looked lively. He reminds me of a young Robbie Keane. Well done to the young man

As with the rest of the team Fletcher was pretty anonymous in the first half. If he had an attitude and used his physique I think he could be a real centre forward. He seemed a different player in the second half from the left. He used his pace and made some good runs. On that showing I would be happy to keep him and challenge Downing. As always Grant played well today also.

That game alone isn't going to convince me we should play 4-2-4. It says to me that we can try to get out of our own half a bit more but we also had a huge share of the possession too. Peterborough were not stretching us, we were practically able to play 2 at the back for most that 2nd half. It would take some effort to see a Championship side fall over the way they did. Even Bolton scored 5 past a League One side today too. They sat back and invited us to have a go and looked to nick it. Credit where it's due to Pulis for reacting to that at half time rather than allowing Peterborough to come out and do a Burton, we got stuck in from the off and it paid dividends.

Sounded like a much more relaxed atmosphere at the Riverside today too, almost like that also makes a difference to how a team plays when under pressure.

That game alone isn't going to convince me we should play 4-2-4. It says to me that we can try to get out of our own half a bit more but we also had a huge share of the possession too. Peterborough were not stretching us, we were practically able to play 2 at the back for most that 2nd half. It would take some effort to see a Championship side fall over the way they did. Even Bolton scored 5 past a League One side today too. They sat back and invited us to have a go and looked to nick it. Credit where it's due to Pulis for reacting to that at half time rather than allowing Peterborough to come out and do a Burton, we got stuck in from the off and it paid dividends.

Sounded like a much more relaxed atmosphere at the Riverside today too, almost like that also makes a difference to how a team plays when under pressure.

No one is asking us to be that attacking every game, just that we shouldn't be going into games with one attacking player as we have been lately when we clearly do have talented creative players available. The excuse that we don't just doesn't wash

Great game today but a shame only 11,876 people saw a really good team performance, albeit against lower opposition.

One thing that stood out to me was the confidence they played with at 2-0, some cracking football!

Some thoughts from TP

“We played with five forwards in the first half and it didn’t really suit us in respect of getting in the pockets and spaces, so by taking Raj off and bringing Wingy (Lewis Wing) on, that gave us much more opportunities to play forward and get the forwards into pockets and that’s what we did much better second half.”

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/watch-tony-pulis-we-controlled-it

Great result and good to see the youth players proving their worth. Pulis just has to play Wing every week, he makes us tick and offers something no one else does. Tag & Fry were great and it looks like there are a few more players coming through the academy that may be worth a go, rather than expensive mercenaries or players whose legs have gone.

If downing walks back into this team I’d be disappointed - despite his good performances he doesn’t do enough going forward. I’d also agree that this kind of result just demonstrates that Pulis needs to have a better (attacking) plan B. Plan A (defend well and nick a goal) works fine vs the big teams in the division (except Villa!) but we can’t go into the games against the worse teams (Sheffield wed) with that tactic as we lose all impetus. Well done the lads, let’s hope Pulis realises there is more than one way to play football...