oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 1-2 (Wing, Assombalonga)

The cabbage was an extreme example and of course I don't endorse it, I don't even want the manager gone, I would not back any initiative to make that so. But people have options to make it clearer and less avoidable to the owner if they so wish. If they don't want to do that, then I don't quite see why people will sit and be so surprised for him to still be in charge. Booing obviously doesn't make a difference. The Riverside is still averaging around 23,500 every game this season so it's hardly a cause for concern just yet in terms of bums on seats. And like so many have also said, he probably won't be in charge if we're not promoted anyway.

How many games have you been to this season and how many have you watched from behind your keyboard as you put it and as it were?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill go there and throw a swede at him.....

Wouldn’t a leek be more appropriate or would that be regarded  as a hate crime these days ??

Just thought I would be funny.... as I am a swede.....

:-P

Did you have a particular Swede in mind?

The cabbage was an extreme example and of course I don't endorse it, I don't even want the manager gone, I would not back any initiative to make that so. But people have options to make it clearer and less avoidable to the owner if they so wish. If they don't want to do that, then I don't quite see why people will sit and be so surprised for him to still be in charge. Booing obviously doesn't make a difference. The Riverside is still averaging around 23,500 every game this season so it's hardly a cause for concern just yet in terms of bums on seats. And like so many have also said, he probably won't be in charge if we're not promoted anyway.

How many games have you been to this season and how many have you watched from behind your keyboard as you put it and as it were?

I've only been to the game I've told you about. Why?

Well you're telling people to express their dissatisfaction in person and in a more obvious way (I assume that's the point of your posts?). I was just wondering how you'd feel if I suggested that you needed to express your Boro support in person or it didn't really count?

On a slightly different but related subject, there are people on here and elsewhere who seem to think that Boro fans are crap fans essentially, fickle/fairweather etc, but here you are saying that people aren't doing enough to get rid of the manager.

Yes I do genuinely mean automatic promotion. I don't see any teams with better players or set up than us. One more quick, strong pacy winger and we are there. I don't understand how this is not obvious to most.

Is this the elusive winger which will solve everything we've been looking for for for three season? oooooh, can't wait to see this bloke.

From going reluctantly to games its obvious we are no where near a promotion team - I guess youre watching a different team to me.

Must be

Can you not only name me these wingers but tell me what clubs have these wingers?  I'm being realistic - fancy a charity bet on it? I bet we don't make auto promotion playoffs - £100 to a charity of your choice. It will be worth being wrong if we do - look at the transfer thread, its normally the busiest exciting thread of the season, no one wants to play for him mate

You will have to clarify the bet. Is it auto promotion or the playoffs? I am happy to take a charity bet with you. I believe that we will be playing Premier League football next season and as a Boro fan I will never change my positivity towards the club. I know you don't want to believe it but it is going to happen. I don't believe for one second that no-one wants to play for him and unlike some on here I am not going to profess to be an expert on professional footballers and which ones we should sign. I do however believe that Pulis is such an expert and have every faith in him to deliver us to the promised land. UTB

The bet is for automatic which is what you stated we would achieve - which I firmly believe we haven't a Hope in hell. You do realize that the mantra for the last ten transfer windows has been "if only we get a winger" and we have failed every time, as for play offs TP had a winger called Traore and we had one shot on target in 180 mins in a nothing to lose but promotion to gain situation - this is why I'm not as optimistic as you.

As for "not wanting to believe it" that's a bit childish - of course I want to believe we can go up, batter teams and reach the Prem - I simply just don't believe we can with him as manager

Ill go there and throw a swede at him.....

Wouldn’t a leek be more appropriate or would that be regarded  as a hate crime these days ??

Just thought I would be funny.... as I am a swede.....

:-P

Did you have a particular Swede in mind?

Sven-Goran ;)

Well you're telling people to express their dissatisfaction in person and in a more obvious way (I assume that's the point of your posts?).  I was just wondering how you'd feel if I suggested that you needed to express your Boro support in person or it didn't really count?

On a slightly different but related subject, there are people on here and elsewhere who seem to think that Boro fans are crap fans essentially, fickle/fairweather etc, but here you are saying that people aren't doing enough to get rid of the manager.

I'm not the one who decides what the fans' support or lack thereof means in terms of the manager's job, that's on Gibson. Gibson has to be shown in a form more than just what has happened so far as the evidence shows, he's still got his job. 'What we see' is not what the owner sees. And I'm not overly surprised at that, the team is still in a good position with chances to improve it over the next 20 games. I said after the Burton game I think Gibson will find it tough to keep him in charge, evidently not. Half the fans never turned up, the other half booed the team off and it's been brushed to one side.

I'm not even talking about all anti-Pulis supporters. I'm talking about the few who voice unequivocally day after day how they feel about the football and have no respect for the results regardless. There is a section of our support that is so vehemently anti-Pulis that they can't utter a word about our club without saying ***ing Pulis this and ***ing Pulis that, get that *** out of our club, it's a disgrace that he's allowed to stay in charge after that rubbish 1-0 victory over Reading... these fans have the options in front of them if they are of such passionate displeasure that they don't respect 3 points on the board and I guarantee while the team is remotely on course to succeed in terms of the results the man is paid to get, they won't get their wishes fulfilled. To those who think it's a disgrace to keep a man picking points up in a job, I've no doubt about how fickle they are already, what they do from there makes very little difference to how I feel.

I just used witch hunt as an example... Not an actual existing one...

I read the throw cabbage thing .. as a metaphor for an extreme ... Not literally a cabbage throwing ... Then i used witch hunt as a metaphor ... where you accuse people of something .. Not literally burning them ...

But hey .. Misunderstandings happen .. Just forget everything after good morning..

I'm not the one who decides what the fans' support or lack thereof means in terms of the manager's job, that's on Gibson. Gibson has to be shown in a form more than just what has happened so far as the evidence shows, he's still got his job. 'What we see' is not what the owner sees. And I'm not overly surprised at that, the team is still in a good position with chances to improve it over the next 20 games. I said after the Burton game I think Gibson will find it tough to keep him in charge, evidently not. Half the fans never turned up, the other half booed the team off and it's been brushed to one side.

I'm not even talking about all anti-Pulis supporters. I'm talking about the few who voice unequivocally day after day how they feel about the football and have no respect for the results regardless. There is a section of our support that is so vehemently anti-Pulis that they can't utter a word about our club without saying *** Pulis this and *** Pulis that, get that *** out of our club, it's a disgrace that he's allowed to stay in charge after that rubbish 1-0 victory over Reading... these fans have the options in front of them if they are of such passionate displeasure that they don't respect 3 points on the board and I guarantee while the team is remotely on course to succeed in terms of the results the man is paid to get, they won't get their wishes fulfilled. To those who think it's a disgrace to keep a man picking points up in a job, I've no doubt about how fickle they are already, what they do from there makes very little difference to how I feel.

Do you not think it's possible that those people are already well aware of that bit in bold and believe that nothing they say or do will influence Gibson?  So they see no point in taking things further as it won't make any difference.  

Perhaps like me they just go to a game to watch a game of football and aren't interested in showing their dissatisfaction?  I've never booed or shouted for a manager's head at a game in my life but that doesn't mean that I want Pulis to be our manager because quite clearly I don't.  At the same time I'm intelligent enough to know that nothing I write on here will change anything but that doesn't mean that I won't write it.

From reading your posts I'm not completely sure what you want?  Do you want people to criticise less or criticise more?  Do you want them to criticise less on here but more at the stadium?  Do you want people to stop criticising completely?

Fickleness tends to come with poor results rather than decent ones.  I think what you see as people being fickle is actually people who have a straight up dislike of what they are being 'forced' to watch, a philosophical difference with the manager if you like, so I don't think fickle is appropriate in this situation.  People's loyalties haven't changed to the club, they just don't like certain things that are happening.

If pulis doesn’t think the booing is mainly aimed at him then he must be the most ignorant person under the sun. It beggars belief if he actually thinks the crowd are only booing the players. Throwing cabbage!!! Come on man. Booing and staying away are probably the most civil things you can do. Shouting abuse, making big signs or throwing stuff at him is really not something you should expect people to do to show their unhappiness with the manager.

These people are apparently ready for a big party for when he loses his job, to celebrate in his misfortune for winning points the wrong way, I'm not so sure why I'd expect them to be civil about anything in relation to Pulis.

Not sure it's misfortune that he wins points the wrong way, more his choice to play football that way. But Yeah, I'll be celebrating when he leaves. Won't apologise for that (yes, I know you haven't asked me to). I don't like his football. I never have. I stay away because of it. It spoils my Saturday because I used to turn up every home game and the few away games I could make. I still own a season ticket and give it away every home game. So Yeah, I'll be happy when he leaves.

HOWEVER, no one suggested anything other than celebrating. No one suggested throwing cabbages. No one suggested doing anything other than voting with their feet (Well, no-one that wants pulis out anyway).

As for the fickle statement, I have a huge issue with that.

People often consider "armchair supporters", "stay-away supporters" or generally people who moan about something at their club as fickle. And yet they are then told to vote with their feet etc.

People often stay away because they believe what is going on at "their" club is wrong or damaging. They moan because they believe that their club is being damaged. That isn't fickle at all.

My biggest issue is with people who believe that they must not ever moan about anything that goes on at the club and that anyone that does moan isn't a real fan. "Believe", "keep the faith". Slogans created to actually read "blindly follow" and "never moan".

From reading your posts I'm not completely sure what you want?  Do you want people to criticise less or criticise more?  Do you want them to criticise less on here but more at the stadium?  Do you want people to stop criticising completely?

What a question! It's a shame that what I actually want really doesn't matter. How many times I spent telling people what I actually thought on here in the last 4-6 months have I felt better for doing so? Very few.

In a very small way, I also can't wait for Tony Pulis' tenure to be over and done with at this club. Not because of the style of football or us not currently hitting our targets. Certainly not from a personal disconnect with him or the club, I'm happy with our position and a lot of things barring recruitment right now. But because I've genuinely never known being so disconnected from my fellow Boro fans.

I said to you before CT, I've never known a time where I've felt thoroughly guilty supporting my team because it truly feels like there's very little supporting going on for a team that really isn't doing half bad. And maybe that's where my comments tonight come from, a personal masochistic willingness for the deed to just be done. 'Oh, just ***ing get him sacked if it means so much to you', that kind of thing. Everyone go out and show your willingness in the most public way possible so everyone else can get past this phase and so I selfishly don't feel like I'm supposed to be embarrassed to follow my team. All you who are so deadly serious about removing him right this second can get your gratification and we can move forward as a fan-base again.

But one thing I absolutely want to make clear is that regardless of this divide happening because Pulis is our manager, I specifically don't blame him for it. But that's leaning into what I actually want a darn little too much there!

Ok just a comment on what I have been reading over the last few pages.

Whilst the content and responses of the posts especially between CT and Wilson have been well thought out and articulate in certain ways I will say this.

It does seem as if there is some grilling going on and putting people on the spot, that's fine but this seems excessive to a degree and well to be honest reading is becoming uncomfortable and I am sure not only for me.

The point is TP is here we are all aware of the division his appointment has caused but do we have to shake the rag doll until it falls apart completely and lose sight that we all have a team to support through thick and thin?

Due to recent improvements I am looking forward to the game and meeting up with PompeySmog so I promise I will give an honest opinion about the game warts and all upon my return.

Boro will always be there (hopefully) others in and around it will not be and well really it is what it is!