oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 1-2 (Wing, Assombalonga)

Pulis on Wing:

“Lewis has been a breath of fresh air. He’s going to be a good player but he’s got a lot to learn.

“Sometimes he goes AWOL in the team shape but he brings so much to the party. We have to be careful with him.”

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point RR

But who would be a better Captain?

What about Ayala .. He has the aggression and a bit more responsibility might take away some of his "brain farts" reducing the red card factor in him?

Ayala isn't a bad shout, I could see Pulis going with Flint first though.

I've seen Ayala and red cards mentioned a few times aswell, it's a complete myth, he has literally been sent off only twice for us (5 seasons ish). That's pretty good going for a CB.

True, but he has had incidents, where many other referees would have given him straight red. He is flirting with that red card at times. Not much lately, but only a few months back.

Good it's better now.

Pulis on Wing:

“Lewis has been a breath of fresh air. He’s going to be a good player but he’s got a lot to learn.

“Sometimes he goes AWOL in the team shape but he brings so much to the party. We have to be careful with him.”

This is one of the things that people dislike about pulis. He gives a compliment to a player that most of the fans are excited about. But then seems to back that up with a couple of negatives. "He is going to be a good player". In most fans' view "he is a good player, one of our best". And then the line about going AWOL....why can't this be done behind closed doors? It always feels like he is giving himself an excuse to drop the guy. This again is backed up by the "We have to be careful with him" line.

People will say I'm being critical because I don't like Pulis. However, if we had pochettino and he said this I'd be saying the same thing.

Just let the kid play (I say kid, by his age Beckham was scoring from the half way line and Michael Owen was about half way through his England career).

I can see what Pulis is saying he likes a fully functional system where every player plays to a specific role. However I do think Wing would continue to thrive in a free role for us he has a lot of imagination and a think he may lose that in a more disciplined role. At a higher level I think Pogba and Mourinho clashed because he is a more effective player in a free role rather than the role Mourinho wanted him to play.

I think the British game/coaching encourages and tends to promote more James Milner (solid 6-7 out of 10) type players than those like Tomlin/Wing/Traore who despite the inconsistencies could produce something out of nothing.

I would love to see more of the creative players thriving in our squad and in football in general. But there does seem to be a lack of such players succeeding at the top level. It's hard to say whether that is due to managers safety first approaches or such players can have a negative impact on a system or something else.

I can see what Pulis is saying he likes a fully functional system where every player plays to a specific role. However I do think Wing would continue to thrive in a free role for us he has a lot of imagination and a think he may lose that in a more disciplined role. At a higher level I think Pogba and Mourinho clashed because he is a more effective player in a free role rather than the role Mourinho wanted him to play.

I think the British game/coaching encourages and tends to promote more James Milner (solid 6-7 out of 10) type players than those like Tomlin/Wing/Traore who despite the inconsistencies could produce something out of nothing.

I would love to see more of the creative players thriving in our squad and in football in general. But there does seem to be a lack of such players succeeding at the top level. It's hard to say whether that is due to managers safety first approaches or such players can have a negative impact on a system or something else.

Good points.

I LOVE IT, when players have that drive and creativity and it is saddening, when systems suck that spark out of them. 

When you have a "Clayton", that should make space for a "Wing". 

Try to tell Gazza that he was good, but should do his defensive duties first ..  lol

Good points.

I LOVE IT, when players have that drive and creativity and it is saddening, when systems suck that spark out of them. 

Try to tell Gazza that he was good, but should do his defensive duties first ..  lol

Depends, I did love Zlatan in the national team when we had Hamrén as coach. But he was the only one who was good, now we play Pulisball but its gives better results for the team evne f its boring to watch, But I know you cant say that do a dane, you rather play fun than win :-P

when you did managed to win in 1992 you did so by being boring....

Good points.

Dunno like, the whole ***nal Invincibles era was built on the philosophy of attack being the best form of defence. When Ian Wright and later Thierry Henry were that far up the pitch and lost the ball, the first thing they'd tend to do would be to drop back and try to regain possession, or at least keep the opponents in their own half.

Good points.

Dunno like, the whole ***nal Invincibles era was built on the philosophy of attack being the best form of defence. When Ian Wright and later Thierry Henry were that far up the pitch and lost the ball, the first thing they'd tend to do would be to drop back and try to regain possession, or at least keep the opponents in their own half.

I am not saying, that kind of player must not do defensive duties... Just that it shouldn't be the most important thing, if it destroys the natural attacking in the player. I saw wing did his fair share of pressing and did nick a ball here and there. 

But again it shouldn't be his primary job. But when needed ;)

*playing the Clayton card* just the other way around .. Some people say you cannot fault Clayton for not being creative, as it is not his job ... He also makes some forward passes anyway.. 

Wings primary job shouldn't be defending and tackling .. But he gives a fair share anyway ..

Pulis on Wing:

For anyone unfamiliar with this, it's an appraisal technique called the 'compliment sandwich'. You either give someone two criticisms with a nice compliment in the middle, or, in this case, wrap up a negative in two positives.

"Your work has been excellent this quarter. You've had a few too many sick days, but you did really well on that job that came in last month" etc. It works in letting the employee know they're appreciated, but also warns them off asking for a pay rise or a promotion.

If you think Pulis is deliberately digging out Wing here, you are mistaken. The chances are, he'd rather not talk about Wing at all.

He's a young lad who could very easily let it all go to his head, so Pulis is trying to keep him grounded, while still letting him have the praise.

He did it all the time with Adama last season - even in the period when he was man of the match every week, Pulis would still say 'he'd have me tearing my hair out if I had any' or 'he still needs to learn'.

There was a comment on the excellent Football Ramble podcast recently, where one of the hosts had said that he'd been told by more than one Premier League manager that anything he says in the press is aimed exclusively at people within the club, be it players or the chairman, or recruitment. Pulis strikes me as the type that will do exactly that, so anything he says, for example, criticising Britt is a challenge directly to Britt. The same with Wing - the compliments are there for him to hear, but he doesn't want him getting carried away.

Pulis has done similar things with Fry and Tavernier also. It's good man management as it helps keep their feet on the ground and aims to stop fans getting too expectant on them.

The way Pulis managed and coached Traore last season deserves a tremendous amount of credit.