oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 1-2 (Wing, Assombalonga)

Our entire approach was wrong. Changing hugill for Britt didn’t help out the defense or midfield. Should have pushed higher up and/or got VLP or Tav on with a bit of pace to relieve some pressure instead of just punting it back to brum players on the halfway line. It was clear for everyone to see from around the 55th minute. Their goal was a long time coming.

But in the end we got the three points so credit to Pulis and the players for that. I just think it got unnecessary tight because we gave Brum way too much time and space and didn’t help ourselves by just punting it aimlessly

3 points away from home against an in form team 

Ever tought your over analyzing things a bit too much mate?

Lets just enjoy the win i say  :heart:

Ha ha. You started the entire exchange with a question then say he’s over analysing by answering. What were you after exactly?

The "why didn't he do this/that/the other" comments I don't understand after a good away win

He obviously got the tactics correct so whats to criticise ?

If the plan was to sit back and allow them to equalise before starting to play football again and get the winner then yeah, spot on.

But that sounds like a pretty ridiculous tactic to me.

If it works it works!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gifted a New Boro shirt at Christmas,decided to have a name on the back,I decided on Assombalonga When i found out How much per letter I nearly choked,ended up with Wing 26 on the back,just call me the Oracle lol

I'm confused ...Pompey says TP going mental about them not pushing forward whilst DZ says he is letting them drop back too often under pressure...is it deliberate or just players relaxing too much and thinking we got this in the bag then realising they haven't....I do think that they have a tendency to take their foot off the gas too soon instead of being ruthless like they really could be

I'm confused ...Pompey says TP going mental about them not pushing forward whilst DZ says he is letting them drop back too often under pressure...is it deliberate or just players relaxing too much and thinking we got this in the bag then realising they haven't....I do think that they have a tendency to take their foot off the gas too soon instead of being ruthless like they really could be

We've pretty much always been like that though. Seems to be the Boro way. We did it in the Carling Cup Final too and got incredibly lucky. A better team than Bolton would have gone on to beat us.

We've pretty much always been like that though. Seems to be the Boro way. We did it in the Carling Cup Final too and got incredibly lucky. A better team than Bolton would have gone on to beat us.

yeah it has been a problem as long as I can remember, although it's noticeable atm under managers like AK and Pulis.

I've always be on the fence about whether it's a tactic or not because we keep doing it and if it's not pulis, why isn't he focusing on that in the training? because we do it EVERY time.

I often wonder if its linked to the decline of the role of the team captain on the field....rarely see anyone on field geeing someone else up when required....maybe just a sign of the times or do we lack a little mental aggression?

Yes, basically that was the point i was trying (badly) to make. Pulis wasn't getting them to deliberately drop to the edge of the box it seems to be endemic in 'boro sides. Brum did change tac and stopped just lumping it after 50 mins so we were pushed back.

I think it's quite normal in football, that most teams drop back, when they have something to hang on to. It's not deliberate, but something mental, that just happens.

You also have to give the opponent some credit... It's only natural, that they will try harder and in other ways, when they need to score to get something from the game.

I have heard from people on here on several occasions now, that TP is furious, when the players drop to their own box to defend... And I really think they WANT to push up higher... But the opponents make it bloody hard to do ..

Count in, that yesterday we were the away team against a very much in form home team. Solid result and most teams, would come under pressure there.

UTB

Good point RR

But who would be a better Captain?

What about Ayala .. He has the aggression and a bit more responsibility might take away some of his "brain farts" reducing the red card factor in him?

Good point RR

What about Ayala .. He has the aggression and a bit more responsibility might take away some of his "brain farts" reducing the red card factor in him?

Depends for me on what team plays. If we assume it is the team that started against Birmingham? I'd say Clayton or Ayala. Both very vocal loud and aren't afraid to move players into the line of defence they want.

Good point RR

Ayala isn't a bad shout, I could see Pulis going with Flint first though.

I've seen Ayala and red cards mentioned a few times aswell, it's a complete myth, he has literally been sent off only twice for us (5 seasons ish). That's pretty good going for a CB.