oneBoro Forum

Boro V Newport County FA Cup 4th Round 1-1 (Ayala)

Venue: The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough

Date: 26th January 2019

Kick Off: 1500hrs.

THE BATTLE OF THE TRANSPORTER BRIDGES

Both Middlesbrough and Newport claim to fame is that both towns have the only working transporter bridges in the country and though I tried to post images of both (failing badly) I suggest you do a google search to view images of both bridges at day and night and I am sure you will agree that our bridge is far more majestic and pleasing to the eye and in my humble opinion Boro's bridge come out on top, so 1-0 to the Boro so far!!!

Another claim to fame (if you think that way) is that our boss the one and only Tony Puils is from Newport himself and has strong connections with the club (his Mam might have been the tea lady or something there)

The last time we played Newport County

Historically there have been far and few fixtures between Boro and Newport County and I believe that this is the first time we have been drawn against them in the FA Cup.

Our last two occasions (and only recorded matches) were in the 86/87 league 3 season where we did the double over Newport County.

Question, was any member at Ayresome Park on the 3rd January 1987 who witnessed the 2-0 home win and can remember anything of the game, might be useful for tactical purposes :cheese:

Last time out

Newport County deservedly beating Leicester City on the telly then hoping for another glamour tie so they could be on the BBC once again...……….sadly not! (I believe there will be streams available for the game though)

Boro, ripping apart another team who sometimes refer to themselves as Boro with an unusual goal feast at The Riverside.

Banana Skin

Of course it is (to both teams) heck Burton did us over and there is no reason why Newport who slew the Mighty Foxes can not do the same...……………...or will they?

Preferred team selection

Your choice but would like to see the same team who beat the other Boro if possible.

Not going to be the greatest of threads I would imagine but hopefully there may be some smiling faces leaving the ground after the game, just as long as they are not the other transporter bridge fans.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the like button has possibly halted some of the match day posts DS. This is a game we have to expect to win no matter what 11 are put on the pitch. I would like to think we have learned our lesson from the Burton game. I hope Van La Parra gets at least an hour into his legs and hopefully, if he has signed, it would be nice to see Jon Obi Mikel get some minutes too. This has to be a straight-forward 2 or 3 nil win for me.

I think the like button has possibly halted some of the match day posts DS. This is a game we have to expect to win no matter what 11 are put on the pitch. I would like to think we have learned our lesson from the Burton game. I hope Van La Parra gets at least an hour into his legs and hopefully, if he has signed, it would be nice to see Jon Obi Mikel get some minutes too. This has to be a straight-forward 2 or 3 nil win for me.

Told ya, it's the ruination of us all!

I think the like button has possibly halted some of the match day posts DS. 

:funny:   How?

Because rather than reply to the opening post, people have just “liked” it instead.

Which is weird anyway because it's rubbish  :whistle:

I imagine the setup of the team will be somewhere between the team that started the Peterbrough match, and the one that finished it. Flint will probably start, and maybe Shotton to get some minutes.

RVLP will get another start, and will hopefully play more than 45 minutes.

If Mikel all gets wrapped up today, I'd like to see him get a start as well.

And of course, we have a ready made half time sub for eithern who is not allowed to start games anyway.

Other than that, you can probably name the XI by looking at our bench/those omitted in recent weeks. McNair, Fletcher, Tavernier, Leadbitter, Gestede, Dimi etc

Because rather than reply to the opening post, people have just “liked” it instead.

If people can't be bothered to reply anyway then they wouldn't reply even if the likes weren't an option.

If people can't be bothered to reply anyway then they wouldn't reply even if the likes weren't an option.

I guess so, and at least we don’t have to read their opinions or anything, so that’s a bonus. ;)

Predicted XI

Dimi

McNair--Batth--Fry--Friend

Mikel

Tavernier--Wing

Fletcher                                        VLP

Britt

Score Prediction. 

Middlesbrough 3-0 Newport County

Britt, (16,49)

Tavernier (63)

Think this one should be relatively straight forward, think it would be a different story at their place. Don't think we'll conceed but I don't see us running away with it like we did in the last round.