oneBoro Forum

Boro v West Bromwich Albion (A) 3-2 (Saville, Assombalonga (2) )

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

One attacker. One! And that attacker is an absolute donkey. Pulis couldn’t be more soul destroying if he tried. Feel sorry for those who have travelled.

well to be fair Spain won the EC without any attacker, 4-6-0 ;)

Couple of observations on the squad:

1) Tav/Fletcher/Gestede don't make the squad so same old same old I thought maybe he'd change course considering windows are closed and he should be utilising those strikers somehow in my opinion we're stuck with them.

2) It is quite jarring seeing that teamsheet because the 5 defenders on the pitch are the only 5 senior defenders we've got in the squad! One niggle to any one of them and it's trouble, we have McNair on the bench whose struggled at times in a 4 man defence at RB yet now he's our cover at CB as well.

3) We really need something from Hugill today the midfield will run it's socks off but he needs to stand strong to challenges I'm tired of him spending 90 minutes losing aerials to taller CBs and flopping on the floor every time he's touched.

to be fair we looked good at times playing 3 cbs earlier in the season. if one of wing or Saville play as a 10 quite high next to Hugill it might not be so bad.

It's looks like what we did at Leeds as TAPOUT and I were chatting about yesterday and that was a very definite 5-4-1.  It's understandable that having worked there in terms of avoiding defeat that we'd try it here I suppose.  You could push Wing or Saville further up but I don't think that's a natural position for either of them really.  I mean if you wanted to do that you could play Assombalonga or even Gestede and actually go with an out and out two up top.  If things aren't working out I think you'll see Downing and VLP off the bench.  It's amazing how fit Mikel is having hardly played a game since the summer when other players we sign seem to take an eternity to get fit.  Clearly an amazing athlete.

Dident we beat them at home with 5 at the back?

Yeah but we also had a few attacking players on the pitch as well - Assombalonga, Braithwaite and Downing all started for it's worth.  I'm not sure it's the same set up today but then one was a home game and one is away from home.

Looks like wing backs, which isnt a bad idea against their wingers. May give them something to think about defensively. Not a fan of Besic, but if he plays further upfield and stops holding the ball for too long may cause a problem or two with Saville with late runs into the box. Hugill will give what he can. Looks solid. Fingers crossed for win.

Can anyone explain why Downing is on the bench ahead of Tavernier

Literally what i was thinking looking at that line up, so essentially the team line up is -

...................Randolph.......................

Shotton....Fry...Flint....Ayala........Friend

.............Besic......Mikel.......Saville........

.........................Wing.........................

.......................Hugill.............................

Hugill is going to be really isolated unless Wing gets close, Besic has got to push up as well to try win the ball high up the pitch. Still not sure why Besic is getting games as hes been average since he came back and doesnt offer more than Howson does.

Yeah but we also had a few attacking players on the pitch as well - Assombalonga, Braithwaite and Downing all started for it's worth.  I'm not sure it's the same set up today but then one was a home game and one is away from home.

hmm so you count Downing as an attacking player? :-P

to be fair we looked good at times playing 3 cbs earlier in the season. if one of wing or Saville play as a 10 quite high next to Hugill it might not be so bad.

It's looks like what we did at Leeds as TAPOUT and I were chatting about yesterday and that was a very definite 5-4-1.  It's understandable that having worked there in terms of avoiding defeat that we'd try it here I suppose.  You could push Wing or Saville further up but I don't think that's a natural position for either of them really.  I mean if you wanted to do that you could play Assombalonga or even Gestede and actually go with an out and out two up top.  If things aren't working out I think you'll see Downing and VLP off the bench.  It's amazing how fit Mikel is having hardly played a game since the summer when other players we sign seem to take an eternity to get fit.  Clearly an amazing athlete.

I agree on mikel lol it's gone from "give him time" to "immediate starter"

as for wing or Saville, I think Saville played as more of an advanced midfielder for millwall so I think he could do it. and at non league (I know i know) Wing was a goal scoring midfielder so while don't know for sure I would assume he would know the basics of playing number 10 / more advanced too.

otherwise I agree with you.

hmm so you count Downing as an attacking player? :-P

Lol, I think Pulis does  :)