oneBoro Forum
Tom

Boro v West Bromwich Albion (A) 3-2 (Saville, Assombalonga (2) )

Here for anyone that hasn't seen it

Looks like a dive to me

That's embarassing. Nowhere near him.

Hugill dives nearly every time the ball is near him. The lad is a total embarrassment and it's no wonder he doesn't get decisions from the officials.

Hugill's dive was blatant, lucky he didn't get a yellow to be honest. 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that saw it that way. Had he kept his footing it could have been an interesting start of an attacking move support was coming his way. Having said that he has had a decent 1st half, can't fault his application.

Hugill really is shocking for diving and going down easy... can't remember a Boro player like it tbh.

Anyway wasn't expecting to be dissapointed not to be winning, so sounds like a good effort and hopefully it continues second half!

Looks like a dive to me

Actually look at the movement of the West Brom player before Hugill goes down, he jolts, as if there's been contact between the two.

Ref watches Wing win the ball, then as he's about five paces down the field blows for a free kick?!

EDIT: To Middlesbrough? Even more confused now.

Wing is having a poor game, but that is a very harsh booking.

Looks like a dive to me

Actually look at the movement of the West Brom player before Hugill goes down, he jolts, as if there's been contact between the two.

You’re they type of retard who defends that cheating. He garbage and needs to cheat. Go back to west ham, donkey.

Wait what, what the actual living *** was that whole thing then?! Wing wins the ball, breaks away, gets the free kick given for him for some reason, then what, gets booked for dissent?

Looks like a dive to me

You’re they type of retard who defends that cheating. He garbage and needs to cheat. Go back to west ham, donkey.

Thanks for the insult. I'm not defending anything, I haven't said one way or the other whether I think it was a foul, I'm merely saying that replay actually suggests there may have been some contact of some description. 

Enough to make him go down? Probably not, watching it, but I'm just saying what I can see.

Please don't use that word on here. You won't get another warning.

• Latest Posts

• These are just stats.  I don't claim the give they answers to everything or even anything.  It's just information that can be used to look at things.  It's entirely possible that Coulson and Spence both just happened to be in the side when it became better defensively and started gaining more points.  So it would be no more than a coincidence and over time the stats would revert to the teams average.  But it's also possible that them being in the side made us better and that this is reflected in the stats above.   In the past I've spoken about the mind playing tricks on people because of received/conventional wisdom.  So in this example, received wisdom would be that younger, inexperienced players make you weaker defensively because they make more mistakes.  I'm sure most would say that's fair enough, at least to some extent.  And because this thought is already in people's minds then that's what they 'see' or 'look' for in games and therefore it becomes true and reinforces the received wisdom.  I do wonder if that could be the case here?  Our worst defensive efforts this season came in games where neither of the youngsters played (Sheff Wed at home, Leeds away, that shambles of a game at Birmingham come to mind) and yet I read on here (and now from Woodgate) that they are to blame for us conceding goals with the reason that's often give that it's because teams are attacking those areas.  They've been attacking those areas all season long and every other area.  But that's not the problem anyway.  Because our defensive record this season is the 12th best in the league.  The issue is that our goal scoring record is the joint worst in the league and that's why we are in trouble.
    • You'd have to assume he's blaming Coulson and Spence, since those are the two he dropped after Luton.  Fry is injured rather than dropped and Tavernier hasn't started the last couple, although he started the two before that against Brentford and Blackburn.  As Spence didn't make his debut until the beginning of December, it would be harsh to blame him for our ills, unless Woodgate thinks we were doing ok beforehand! Here's a few stats to consider (league games only): Spence has started 11 games.  We've conceded 8 goals in those games at an average of 0.73 per game Spence hasn't started 23 games.  We've conceded 36 goals in those games at an average of 1.57 per game. Coulson has started 15 games.  We've conceded 18 goals in those games at an average of 1.2 per game. Coulson hasn't started 19 games.  We've conceded 26 goals in those games at an average of 1.37 per game. Spence and Coulson have started 8 games together.  We've conceded 6 goals in those games at an average of 0.75 per game. Spence and Coulson haven't started 26 games together.  We've conceded 38 goals in those games at an average of 1.46 per game.   In the games Spence has started we've gained 19 points at an average of 1.73 per game.  The games he hasn't started we've gained 18 points at an average of 0.78 per game.   In the games Coulson has started we've gained 20 points at an average of 1.33 per game.  The games he hasn't started we've gained 17 points at an average of 0.9 per game. The games they've started together we've gained 14 points at an average of 1.75 per game.  The games they haven't started together we've gained 23 points at an average of 0.89.  
    • I’ve got us surviving but that’s with a couple of wins that could most definitely be losses. Too hard To predict though - form for a lot of teams is crazy this season. The bottom 3 are having a mini revival but could easily return to pre Feb results. 
    • Perhaps I was wrong but I just interpreted it as it would be a freak result for us to beat them. Your explanation makes sense.