oneBoro Forum
Tom

Boro V Newport County - FA Cup 4th Round Replay (a) 0-2

Surely, this has to be an opportunity for the fringe players - Fletcher, McNair, Wood etc. Give VLP and Mikel the first hour, play Downing at LWB to see what (if anything) he does, and give Hugill and Britt a chance to build a rapport. There's a fairly deadly little-and-large striker combo developing there, but it needs game time to develop.

My preferred XI would be a 5-3-2, not that I suspect the final team will resemble this in any way:

Dimi

Ayala Fry Wood

McNair Mikel Downing

VLP Fletcher

Hugill Britt

If anyone is looking for a friendly place for a coffee or beer prior to the game, Quarters Coffee next to the stadium is run by Boro fans! We're just down Millennium Walk behind the stadium - the pubs near the ground aint the friendliest for away fans. It'll be nice to hear some familiar accents in this strange land!

I think we'll have too much for County this time round - they've been poor in the league and losing the lad Semenyo is a blow. A lot of the players and staff pop in for coffee and they're proper nervous about Mikel!

PKentucky of players that could do with some minutes; McNair, VLP, downing, Tav, fletcher and Gestede. And then Clayton who has lost his spot to Mikel and perhaps a youngster like wood who has previously been mentioned. We should be able to field a strong side with willing players. Would like to see big Gestede partnered with Fletcher. Don’t want fletcher pushed out too wide. Just let him play up front like he had succes with in earlier cup games.

If anyone is looking for a friendly place for a coffee or beer prior to the game, Quarters Coffee next to the stadium is run by Boro fans! We're just down Millennium Walk behind the stadium - the pubs near the ground aint the friendliest for away fans. It'll be nice to hear some familiar accents in this strange land!

I think we'll have too much for County this time round - they've been poor in the league and losing the lad Semenyo is a blow. A lot of the players and staff pop in for coffee and they're proper nervous about Mikel!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the information.

I think there are only a very few from the forum going to be honest but what a terrific venue to go to if you are going

PKentucky of players that could do with some minutes; McNair, VLP, downing, Tav, fletcher and Gestede. And then Clayton who has lost his spot to Mikel and perhaps a youngster like wood who has previously been mentioned. We should be able to field a strong side with willing players. Would like to see big Gestede partnered with Fletcher. Don’t want fletcher pushed out too wide. Just let him play up front like he had succes with in earlier cup games.

That's an awesome auto correct  :D

Newport will give everything with a game against City on offer, so I can see this game going into extra time and we'll edge it 2-1

I think people are misunderstanding the mentality of footballers. The Boro players will be breaking their necks for an opportunity to show what they can do against Pep and his (absolutely awesome) Man City team. We’ll be as motivated as they will that’s for sure

I think this one might go all the way to penalties and we will edge it with our impressive penalty shootout record. I hope and think we will win it as a defeat will be damaging for us. I'm not one the buys the Cup is too much of a distraction. If anything it gives fringe players an opportunity to step up their claims for the 1st team as well as the chance of playing the best in the world ie City.

I think the team we might go with will be:

Randolph

McNair Fry Flint Wood Friend

Clayton Howson Tavernier

Fletcher Britt

Free ticket tomorrow if anyone can grab it from Gloucester. Car is now out of use so if anyone can use the ticket you can have it Free.

Free ticket tomorrow if anyone can grab it from Gloucester. Car is now out of use so if anyone can use the ticket you can have it Free.

Sad news. Hope it's not too bad :P

Really wanted to go to this one as I'm only down the road but I'm working :(

I think this one might go all the way to penalties and we will edge it with our impressive penalty shootout record. I hope and think we will win it as a defeat will be damaging for us. I'm not one the buys the Cup is too much of a distraction. If anything it gives fringe players an opportunity to step up their claims for the 1st team as well as the chance of playing the best in the world ie City.

I think the team we might go with will be:

Randolph

McNair Fry Flint Wood Friend

Clayton Howson Tavernier

Fletcher Britt

Don’t know about the rest but there is no way Wood will be starting this game. Bench and bring on late if we’re 2 clear. But no way will he start.

It's away from home so I'm predicting a comfortable 3-1 win and to get battered by City in the next round :cowboy:

• Latest Posts

• Good points, agree with what you posted
    • Randolph Nsue Ayala Gibson Friend De Roon Forshaw Traore Fischer Negredo Stuani/Bamford
    • To be awkward, because, well, I am awkward, I decided not to include the Premier League season.  Being honest about it, Negredo is easily the best forward from this decade in terms of quality.  Even players like Chambers, Fischer, Espinosa, would probably walk into many of the teams we fielded over the decade.  Given that many of those players did bugger all really, I don't want to pick them so it's Championship players only.                Randolph Fabio  Ayala Gibson Friend          Clayton Leadbitter                  Robson Adomah                Ramirez                 Bamford   It was tougher than I thought really.  GK was easy enough for me as it was really between Randolph and Given and Randolph has been pretty much our best, most consistent player since he signed for us.  Right back was a toughy.  I don't think any of them were especially good for any length of time.  I almost snuck Rhys Williams in there to get him into the side but he wasn't that good as a right back so I didn't.  Hoyte, McMahon, Varga, Fredericks, Kalas, Nsue, Christie, Fabio, Shotton, Howson.  In the end I cheated slightly and selected Fabio as I think he was probably the better player out of that lot.  Nsue probably should have been chosen though as he played more games.  Central defenders speak for themselves.  Maybe could have looked at Williams here because when he was fit, healthy and on top of his game, he was a good player or Wheater before he left but they are not in the same class as that partnership was for us.  Friend is obvious at left back, great value signing and played for a lot of the decade. In midfield, I was a big fan of Robson and would have liked to see him playing in better sides.  I think he'd have done ok for Karanka for example.  But you also have to respect the job that Leadbitter and Clayton did as well so I ended up selecting all three.  I didn't think that the likes of Arca, Butterfield, Whitehead, Bailey, McEachran or the more recent lot had done enough to get into the side. The attacking players were a bit tricky as well.  Adomah I would say is the easiest choice as he did well for us over 3 seasons.  Bamford is the best striker I've seen playing for us in the Championship so would have to select him ahead of Lita, McDonald, Emnes, Juke, Nugent, Assombalonga etc.  I didn't like selecting Ramirez as he only had a 6 month spell with us in the Championship and I think he's a *** but he did have a big impact in that time and he was a good player.  I suppose Tomlin, Traore, and one or two others might have cause to grumble about not being selected but I feel Ramirez had a bigger impact than them. I reckon that team gets promoted fairly comfortably.