oneBoro Forum
Tom

Boro V Newport County - FA Cup 4th Round Replay (a) 0-2

I think another manager taking over last December when pulis did could have done a far better job.

There was no need to sell Christie, he did and didn't replace him and that's still a position we struggle with massively, especially when our stand in is out injured.

We could still have bamford instead of hugill and would have been miles better off.

By playing decent football we would have kept Braithwaite, someone who can excel in a good footballing team.

Those 3 changes alone would put us in a much better position to play a more balanced game and all three only left due to pulis. Add to that the fact that we clearly have very little drawing power for attacking players under pulis (evidenced by the rejection of bolasie, waghorn and Abraham- that we know of), and I would argue that with a more astute appointment last season we would have one of the most effective squads in the league.

Yes maybe offensive wise, but who knows how it would been at the back.... Or overall. We can speculate but thats all we can do. The fact is that we are 5th in the table with 17 matches to go

• Latest Posts

• Is Fry still the worst defender in the league though?
    • People always have to whinge, don't they? Unbeaten in 7, haven't conceded a goal from open play all season, we look a proper unit and there's a real togetherness in the squad for the first time in 4-5 years. Actually guys, instead of looking to the positives, lets try and tear down a young right back starting his first full season, or, how about we have a go at Assombalonga for not playing his best in a role unsuited to him? Get a grip and enjoy the team doing well for a change.
    • I'm not comparing us to last season though.  I don't quite understand why everyone is? Last season was an anomaly, caused by us appointing someone to the manager's job that had no business being there.  The two seasons before that we finished 5th and 7th and the bulk of this squad is still those players - Fry, Howson, Saville, McNair, Wing, Tavernier, Wing, Assombalonga, Fletcher, Johnson.  Dijksteel looks more than capable so far, Morsy looks like a good solid Championship player, and the same can be said for the likes of Hall, Akpom and Bettenelli.  We aren't the plucky underdogs in this league, the likes of Coventry and Wycombe are, so why act like it, unless it's to try and make things feel better? As we've discussed plenty of times, it's not a choice between points and entertainment.  Other clubs manage both, but some Boro fans seem to have convinced themselves that you have to decide between one and the other. Having said that, my opinion is already known so I should shut up about it, as nothing is going to change, and believe it or not, I don't want to be a downer for other people.  So I will button it on that subject from now on.
    • He hasnt played a decent game this season. But then again heade a few good tackles late on when he was playing deeper. So maybe he would be better in a 4. Not seen much from him going forward 
    • Wouldn't say he was plodding tbf, he'd actually be a decent signing just not at the expense of McNair