oneBoro Forum

Boro Fans and vocal support especially at home.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

serious question...is chanting "attack, attack, attack" encouragement or criticism, or does it depend on situation?

I think it probably alters the players mindsets and makes them do something they possibly wouldn't have done otherwise. It probably depends on the player I guess.

Perhaps it is, but nobody is perfect mate.

I remember when Strachan was manager, I was in the stands and the crowd used to sing "Love Boro, Hate Strachan". Similarly, the "You don't know what you're doing" chants that Robson used to get or "OOH Aitor Karanka" when Agnew was in charge. These taunts were clearly aimed at the manager not at the players. 

If the crowd focused on Pulis, singing "Tony Pulis your football is ***" or similar, that would get the message across, without destroying the players confidence.

I'm 100% sure it's not doing that, but it does seem to be a convenient excuse for the Pulis sympathisers on here.

I've no idea if it is or isn't destroying confidence, Clayton didn't seem too keen on the Riverside atmosphere though.

I'd hate it if I got booed at the end of my working day I think it would affect my mentality, regardless of how much I was being paid for the days work. I certainly would tell them to shove it, next time they wanted to book me.

I'm no Pulis sympathiser, although I don't think there is a lot of point replacing him at the moment and I'm certain that Gibbo won't pull the trigger any time soon, whilst Pulis is probably using the home atmosphere as a bit of an excuse, he wouldn't be the first manager to protect his players in public.

Again, a convenient excuse after we put in one of our worst performances of the season.

That's pretty harsh, he may have been affected by the crowd, there is no way of knowing.

Regardless, it's counterproductive to boo the players or get on their backs just because you don't like the way the manager has set up the team, boo Pulis instead, he's the one who deserves it.

I remember when Strachan was manager, I was in the stands and the crowd used to sing "Love Boro, Hate Strachan". Similarly, the "You don't know what you're doing" chants that Robson used to get or "OOH Aitor Karanka" when Agnew was in charge. These taunts were clearly aimed at the manager not at the players. 

If the crowd focused on Pulis, singing "Tony Pulis your football is ***" or similar, that would get the message across, without destroying the players confidence.

I'm 100% sure it's not doing that, but it does seem to be a convenient excuse for the Pulis sympathisers on here.

I've no idea if it is or isn't destroying confidence, Clayton didn't seem too keen on the Riverside atmosphere though.

I'd hate it if I got booed at the end of my working day I think it would affect my mentality, regardless of how much I was being paid for the days work. I certainly would tell them to shove it, next time they wanted to book me.

I'm no Pulis sympathiser, although I don't think there is a lot of point replacing him at the moment and I'm certain that Gibbo won't pull the trigger any time soon, whilst Pulis is probably using the home atmosphere as a bit of an excuse, he wouldn't be the first manager to protect his players in public.

Again, a convenient excuse after we put in one of our worst performances of the season.

That's pretty harsh, he may have been affected by the crowd, there is no way of knowing.

He may have been. However, his performance was just as poor before the booing as after.

Regardless, it's counterproductive to boo the players or get on their backs just because you don't like the way the manager has set up the team, boo Pulis instead, he's the one who deserves it.

Nobody boos the players from the first whistle, which I'm pretty sure would be the case if they were solely booing the set up. The booing happens in part because of the team that is selected and in part because of how that team is performing.

Also, I haven't experienced anyone booing simply because we're losing. People boo because of a perceived lack of effort, a negative attitude and a failure to do anything even approaching entertainment.

Ultimately, if the club want to charge the extortionate ticket prices they do (in a low income area) then they also have to take the expectation and critique that come along with it. A season ticket is a big cost for most people, individual match tickets cost about the same as 3 trips to the cinema or a play. The club are pitching themselves at a price point where the customer expects a good level of entertainment, yet they are providing literally zero entertainment at this moment in time. It's hardly a surprise that the paying customers are unhappy.

I don't even expect entertainment, I just want to see a line-up and tactics which suggest we are trying to win the game.

At the moment we get a line-up which suggests we are hoping for a 0-0 Or a 1-0 win if we can nick a goal. That's fine if you're fighting relegation but we're trying to do the opposite.

Its just my perception but it looks at times like we are making very little effort (with our tactics) to even try and win the game. That's why I don't be renewing my season ticket (unless things change before the end of the season).

How can anyone expect the fans to be happy when we are set up and play like we are holding on for a 0-0 v Sheff Wed and Millwall.

I don't even expect entertainment, I just want to see a line-up and tactics which suggest we are trying to win the game.

At the moment we get a line-up which suggests we are hoping for a 0-0 Or a 1-0 win if we can nick a goal. That's fine if you're fighting relegation but we're trying to do the opposite.

Its just my perception but it looks at times like we are making very little effort (with our tactics) to even try and win the game. That's why I don't be renewing my season ticket (unless things change before the end of the season).

How can anyone expect the fans to be happy when we are set up and play like we are holding on for a 0-0 v Sheff Wed and Millwall.

I guess they belive the fans shold be happy with us being 5th with a chance on promotion? I dont realy think owners think much more than that. A fotball club is a business. Isnt it so that the teams in PL can play without fans and still make a profit (think I read that somewhere)

I guess they belive the fans shold be happy with us being 5th with a chance on promotion? I dont realy think owners think much more than that. A fotball club is a business. Isnt it so that the teams in PL can play without fans and still make a profit (think I read that somewhere)

Most of them, yes.

But we aren't in the PL and our owner likes to bang on about how important the fans are and how we want to have success for the people of Teesside.

serious question...is chanting "attack, attack, attack" encouragement or criticism, or does it depend on situation?

Perhaps ironically it turns out that chanting "attack, attack, attack" is actually a negative thing while chanting "defend, defend, defend" is a positive thing  :upside_down:

It's true but somewhat of a pointless stat as the TV money would soon dry up if the fans stopped going. It would be pretty hard to market the drama and passion of the Premier League to foreign fans with half empty stadiums....

Let's play a game.  Let's go through all of the games this season that fans booing has demonstrably effected the game, citing specific examples.  So not booing after the game has finished like against Burton for example but during the game where it has effected the game.  It should be easy this as it's clearly a massive problem...

No takers for this?  Strange.  I'll have a go.  

The loudest booing I can remember during a game this season was at half time against Blackburn but that was directed at the ref and assistants.  Oddly, after half time we played pretty well despite having ten men.  I think that the players must have been able to tell the difference between that booing and all this other booing that is apparently happening so that it didn't effect them at all.  Well done lads!  Maybe the booing sounds different in those circumstances, like it's at a different frequence or something and they can't hear it, you know like people can't hear dog whistles?  I don't know, these things are a mystery to me because I also can't hear all of this booing that's been going on and yet we're all discussing it so it must have been happening.

Let's play a game.  Let's go through all of the games this season that fans booing has demonstrably effected the game, citing specific examples.  So not booing after the game has finished like against Burton for example but during the game where it has effected the game.  It should be easy this as it's clearly a massive problem...

No takers for this?  Strange.  I'll have a go.  

The loudest booing I can remember during a game this season was at half time against Blackburn but that was directed at the ref and assistants.  Oddly, after half time we played pretty well despite having ten men.  I think that the players must have been able to tell the difference between that booing and all this other booing that is apparently happening so that it didn't effect them at all.  Well done lads!  Maybe the booing sounds different in those circumstances, like it's at a different frequence or something and they can't hear it, you know like people can't hear dog whistles?  I don't know, these things are a mystery to me because I also can't hear all of this booing that's been going on and yet we're all discussing it so it must have been happening.

I think you're right, booing hasn't really had any kind of detrimental effect on the team performances. I was at Blackburn, and you're right, it was aimed at the officials.

I wasn't at Millwall, which is obviously the game this all stems from, but I did watch it on a stream, and it sounded like the fans were showing frustration with the team over what was an abject first half, certainly not booing from the start. Booing isn't my style, personally, but it was really quite poor, and 'getting behind the team' has come to no avail at home this season, so the fans probably feel it's the only recourse they have left.

Unfortunately it has crept into our game, a lot of fans are only old enough to remember the Rav, Emerson, Merson etc days, the modern day culture is different now, the expectancies are higher and for this it lands on Steve Gibsons lap, he created this 'entertainment' culture at the club and has charged the fans accordingly.

I've never booed but I'm from a different era, although I don't agree with it I can understand it - the fans have been promised quite a lot these last few years and let's face it other than AK delivering promotion the rest has fell really short of expectations. I don't like Pulis's ......well anything but where's Gibson? Fans boo the team and Pulis but sing "one Stevie Gibson" - how does that work? So Gibson has nothing to do with this team and management?- if we got promoted would everyone be talking about the masterstroke he pulled appointing Pulis?

Will he be out making promises again on season ticket renewal day?

It strange being being a boro fan at the moment, it's Pulis who puts the players out, Pulis who dictates the tactics and Pulis who is meant to motivate them, Pulis answers to Gibson and Gibson should be quite aware of what's going on - I've played sport at a decent level and I can't imagine what being abused by our own support must be like, it certainly wouldn't bring out the best in me and would make me question whether I'd want to play anymore.

If it's Pulis then do it differently - sing "Pulis - You don't know what you're doing" or whatever but try to get what you are frustrated about across other than mindless booing.

Pulis is our highest ever paid manager, he's had over a year and three transfer windows, no one wants to play for him, he can't get a tune out of a lot of players, we seem to win when his hand is forced and it's despite of him not because of him, I've seen the players at the end of games, you can see they care - the blame is with Pulis all day long in my book.

The fans have every right to express their displeasure but Im not in the "booing the players during a game" camp but completely understand the frustrations behind it.