oneBoro Forum

Boro v Blackburn (A) 1-0 (Assombalonga)

I thought I couldn't be ***d with it, then the Leeds game gave me some hope and interest again, and then it was instantly sapped by our performance away mid week.

Like Duvel said, its so painfully predictable how the season's going to end. We'll finish 5th, lose over two legs in the semifinal without scoring a goal to a Sheff Utd/Derby.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m more back to how it was as a kid. I just enjoy going to the match and shouting and screaming and getting all my frustration out on the ref and the players.

Going up, winning or losing it’s just part of the journey. Getting behind the team and being part of the Boro is what it’s all about.

But being a non Middlesbrough native - my dad is from Thorntree but we moved away and around the country - I see the Boro as my link to where I’m from. And so I’m really not overly bothered about goiing up. As long as the players try their best that’s fine with me.

I don't care massively about going up, I can handle defeat pretty well too if we've given it our best shot.

The problem is when you watch us at the moment there's very little joy to be found in the way we play. Our whole set up is about risk management, there's no flair on the pitch, no pace in the team or freedom for the players to express themselves.

Sheffield United weren't great the other night but Wilder was brave in the second half, I want us to be brave sometimes and commit a few men forward if we get done on a counter attack so what.

I don't mind defensive football, I can appreciate that when it's done with balance between defence and attack. Look at the West Brom home game we were absolutely superb defensively but we also committed players into forward positions.

People can call me negative all they want but even the neutral commentators have called us out for being awful to watch on tv in the Newport/ Sheff Utd games.

The home games this season have been absolutely dire apart from the odd game, some of us on here pay a lot of money for season tickets so I'm gonna say what I think whether people like it or not. This is the most negative football I've seen in my life as a Boro fan.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I’ve been a Boro fan from the early 90’s and I’ve never seen such dire football. Risk management is not a bad strategy, but these days if you give teams 70-80% of possession then you are not managing risk, you are increasing it! Pulis is not as good a manager as he thinks, and the old guard (him, Bruce, big Sam, pardew) are past their time. Modern football won’t let them get away with the run hard, hold your position and don’t make mistakes mentality (and neither will modern fans).

Promotion to the prem is neither here nor there for me. It’s a league dominated by money that we can’t match. The Southgate and Karanka relegation seasons both were utterly unenjoyable (I preferred Mowbray failed attempts). If we are going to go up, I at least want an enjoyable promotion (see 97/98) to make the premiership pain worthwhile. (but it’s not me pumping in the cash while we’re in the Championship).

As for Sunday, we will probably sneak a win as we always win the games I’m sure we’ll lose (which means this prediction means we will lose (which actually means we will win (which means..(etc etc ....))))).

2-1 goals from Fry and Britt (on as a sub).

It looks like Pulis is already given his excuse. Injuries and suspension have weakened our back line and we may turn to the kids. Kids as in baby goats? So basicaly is he stating we had not anticipated the risk but I can see the reasonining as younger players need time to develop but at the same time need playing time for experience. The back line are now shipping goals at set pieces and the front can’t score which is worrying when a fully fit team at full strength has ONLY 13 wins in 31 games. However we should can take heart as Tony stated we should not rule out automatic promotion with a 1/3 of the season to go. So on that note I’ll stay with my original BORO win.

Question, how old are you when you turn from kid to young man and then a man.

Both Derby and Bristol have Cup games DS.

We can't go lower than 6th even if we lose.

Makes it even more so then we do not want to present others a gift of dropping points.

Must admit I am peeved we are not playing Man City today!

On a side note that press conference is again an absolute disgrace. How anyone can like the man is beyond me, he's not just a distinctly average manager, he's a liar and a conman and deflects blame at every possible opportunity.

Apparently we are only two players short of a good team, who - Sterling and Aguerro? I doubt even they would make much difference.

The transfer window closed two weeks ago Tony, the one, that in November you said you'd fix everything - where's this magical solution you promised (lied again) - I've never known a man constantly blame everyone and everything but himself.

Embarrassing, frustrating and I'm going to work tomorrow instead

Makes it even more so then we do not want to present others a gift of dropping points.

Why, to lose 7-0 and hear him say "we had a few injuries to key players, the ref was at fault for all 7 goals and he felt we could have got something out of the game"?

Actually yeah, me too because the only entertainment with the Boro is waiting for his comedy routine and trying to predict it after the game.

Any news on his revolutionary medical treatments keeping and getting players fit?

Why, to lose 7-0 and hear him say "we had a few injuries to key players, the ref was at fault for all 7 goals and he felt we could have got something out of the game"?

Actually yeah, me too because the only entertainment with the Boro is waiting for his comedy routine and trying to predict it after the game.

Any news on his revolutionary medical treatments keeping and getting players fit?

I yeah give out mega contracts with crazy appearance bonuses so then you can’t play them e.g Downing

If you can’t play them they can’t get injured ... Genius:s

On a side note that press conference is again an absolute disgrace. How anyone can like the man is beyond me, he's not just a distinctly average manager, he's a liar and a conman and deflects blame at every possible opportunity.

Apparently we are only two players short of a good team, who - Sterling and Aguerro? I doubt even they would make much difference.

The transfer window closed two weeks ago Tony, the one, that in November you said you'd fix everything - where's this magical solution you promised (lied again) - I've never known a man constantly blame everyone and everything but himself.

Embarrassing, frustrating and I'm going to work tomorrow instead

You have heard nothing yet, just wait until he leaves or is sacked. If it is anything like WBA then everyone will get some, the Chairman, Recruiting Team, Players, Youth Coaches, the lot. The only one who will be blameless is , you guessed it, Mr Tony Pulis.

Like the OP smogdane. Disappointed I didn't make the team though. I think I've showed enough in training to warrant a place. :p

Reckon it'll be another draw like last time 1-1. I'm going out for Sunday dinner when the games on, so at least I'll be happy

Great OP. Slight disappointment is that the only position I don't think I could get into the team at present is GK!!!

I want to say I'm expecting a win but I'm not. Think we'll squeeze a draw. And after the game there will be an issue about a penalty not given (hugill just decided he fancied munching on some grass and it was never a penalty in a million years, except in Tp's eyes) and obviously injuries and suspensions didn't help. Though Tp's amazing revolutionary medical nouse will have flint back in record time. Joy.

Can we not just blow full time on the season now. I already know the absolute frustration that is going to occur if we somehow make the playoffs.

Norwich 3 up, Sheff Utd 3 up, West Brom 2 up.

What's it like to score goals?

Ask Villa, they have a better squad than us in my opinion.....

Nah, not really.  They have a couple of individual players who are better than we have - Abraham and Grealish but the rest of the squad is no better.  Is McGinn really better than Saville?  Hourihanne than Howson?  Jedinak than Mikel?  Their squad is on a par with ours essentially but with more attacking options to call on.  They are underperforming even more than we are thankfully.