oneBoro Forum

Boro v Blackburn (A) 1-0 (Assombalonga)

First half - decent

Second half - usual ***e

Positives:

Mikel is awesome.

Randolph is awesome.

We looked much better when Fletcher and Britt played up top together. If Fletcher can get a goal and a bit of confidence, that partnership has potential.

Saville, Wing, Besic, Fry, Shotton all had decent games.

Negatives:

The usual sitting back and inviting pressure as soon as we go 1 up, even against 10 men, waiting for the sucker punch.

After 2 and a half seasons I still don’t see what Jonny Howson adds to our team. He is neither good going forward nor defensively.

The substitutions - McNair was understandable due to Friend’s injury but Downing came on and was rubbish as usual. Likewise with Hugill.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Was reading back through the comments on here and there so so many people who simply don't have a clue about football, so many people trying to pick anything they can to throw at pulis, why would you bring tav/VLP on to play lwb when it would be putting them out of position when you have Downing who has played a large Chunk of his career in that position, I thought fletcher had a brilliant game, then I see people slating him asking why we payed 7m for him, his movement allowed britt the opportunities to get in behind their defence time and time again, he linked up brilliantly with wing and assombalonga and played a big part in most of our chances, yes he made a few poor decisions but I don't know any strikers that don't at this level.

It seems this forum at the moment is just a giant slate pulis blog. The team haven't been out of the top six for a whole year, I'd say for a team without any decent wingers is pretty astounding to be honest, take into account the lack of money we've had to spend I wonder what people expect.

Addition to that I saw someone having a go at him for deflecting blame in his press conference before the game the other day, isn't that what a good man manager does? Would you rather he destroyed the players confidence instead?

I've stopped visiting this forum far less than I used to because it's become such a chore to read.

@ CT

No, you cannot just switch it on .. But you can work very hard to help switch it on!

You have to say "*** THIS *** .. I AM DOING THIS"  No more weak attempts of doing it ..

Nope.  As I believe you are someone who has had some mental health issues then you know that the mind doesn't work like that.  Some people are naturally confident and others are not.  Some people have their confidence knocked out of them over time because of various circumstances.

If you count an early twenties depression as mental health issues, then spot on .. But since then, I haven't looked back .. And that's what I am trying to tell you... The way out for me, was to TAKE that confidence and believe in my self! 

Exactly that, is what Fletcher must do!

You are talking absolute *** mate I'm afraid.  It doesn't work like that and it didn't work like that with you or you wouldn't have had the problems in the first place would you?  You'd have just waved the magic wand and sorted it out straight away.  The mind doesn't work like that and again that's even supposing people are the same, which they clearly aren't.  You can't switch confidence on if you're not a naturally confident person or if circumstances have taken it from you, such as barely getting a game under a manager who clearly doesn't rate you at all.

I can tell you that story in full someday .. Until then, you just have to trust me .. It did work like that .. But you cannot see that, until you go and DO it .. But when you see it and understand it, it won't go away again that easily. 

It's easy, when you understand, but if you don't get it, then you can search for ever for confidence, happiness etc... 

Send me a DM, if you want the story.. Won't bother others wiuth it in this MDT ;)

Then, no offence, but it's unlikely you actually had depression.

Source: Someone with actual depression.

Was reading back through the comments on here and there so so many people who simply don't have a clue about football, so many people trying to pick anything they can to throw at pulis, why would you bring tav/VLP on to play lwb when it would be putting them out of position when you have Downing who has played a large Chunk of his career in that position, I thought fletcher had a brilliant game, then I see people slating him asking why we payed 7m for him, his movement allowed britt the opportunities to get in behind their defence time and time again, he linked up brilliantly with wing and assombalonga and played a big part in most of our chances, yes he made a few poor decisions but I don't know any strikers that don't at this level.

It seems this forum at the moment is just a giant slate pulis blog. The team haven't been out of the top six for a whole year, I'd say for a team without any decent wingers is pretty astounding to be honest, take into account the lack of money we've had to spend I wonder what people expect.

Addition to that I saw someone having a go at him for deflecting blame in his press conference before the game the other day, isn't that what a good man manager does? Would you rather he destroyed the players confidence instead?

I've stopped visiting this forum far less than I used to because it's become such a chore to read.

We do have a decent winger, but he's stapled to the bench.

I don't see a single decent winger in our squad, even if you do see downing that way it still only leaves one.

I don't see a single decent winger in our squad, even if you do see downing that way it still only leaves one.

I doubt he ment Downing, more Tav and VLP who would get into the majority of championship teams.

Nope.  As I believe you are someone who has had some mental health issues then you know that the mind doesn't work like that.  Some people are naturally confident and others are not.  Some people have their confidence knocked out of them over time because of various circumstances.

If you count an early twenties depression as mental health issues, then spot on .. But since then, I haven't looked back .. And that's what I am trying to tell you... The way out for me, was to TAKE that confidence and believe in my self! 

You are talking absolute *** mate I'm afraid.  It doesn't work like that and it didn't work like that with you or you wouldn't have had the problems in the first place would you?  You'd have just waved the magic wand and sorted it out straight away.  The mind doesn't work like that and again that's even supposing people are the same, which they clearly aren't.  You can't switch confidence on if you're not a naturally confident person or if circumstances have taken it from you, such as barely getting a game under a manager who clearly doesn't rate you at all.

I can tell you that story in full someday .. Until then, you just have to trust me .. It did work like that .. But you cannot see that, until you go and DO it .. But when you see it and understand it, it won't go away again that easily. 

It's easy, when you understand, but if you don't get it, then you can search for ever for confidence, happiness etc... 

Send me a DM, if you want the story.. Won't bother others wiuth it in this MDT ;)

6 months not wanting to leave the house.. Couldn't find any joy in anything .. Trust me, it was hell! 

I know what worked for me and how it was .. Not you .. No offence.. But I can only speak for my self and what have worked .. And I can try to explain that with language barrier in mind .. But I would never question how you feel, fell or what you know

Hope YOU find a way out of it ... 

I am no guru or doctor, but if I can say anything about what worked for me, I will be glad to help. My inbox is open and I am very honest and sincere, if you want the story. 

I told my story in private to another member on here a few months back, when the mental health day something was a thing. If it helped that person the slightest, I don't know... I can hope ..  ;;)

Not answering more on this topic here .. But in private message, I have all the time in the world.

Good result, good first half, nothing second half.

Assombalonga, Fletcher, Howson, Mikel all played well. Just need to replicate that first half performance more regularly, and we'll be losing in a play off semi in no time :)

I doubt he ment Downing, more Tav and VLP who would get into the majority of championship teams.

Highly doubt Tav would get in most championship teams, he's not good or consistent enough to be playing at this level, clearly otherwise he would be playing ahead of howson/Saville in the wide positions, same goes for VLP, he probably would get in most bottom half teams but if you look at the teams around us looking at their squads I think he would struggle to break into their first teams.

Depression isn't as black and white as that, it is caused by so many different things, it is handled in so many different ways by so many different people.

Highly doubt Tav would get in most championship teams, he's not good or consistent enough to be playing at this level, clearly otherwise he would be playing ahead of howson/Saville in the wide positions, same goes for VLP, he probably would get in most bottom half teams but if you look at the teams around us looking at their squads I think he would struggle to break into their first team.

Rubbish mate, Tav's stats actually far outweigh any of our midfielders so to say he isn't good enough is tosh. 

The bit in bold is because despite what Tony says he actually wants a team full of safe plodders. If you honestly think Howson and Saville are better players out wide than Tav and VLP then I'd suggest you are the one who knows very little about football.

Highly doubt Tav would get in most championship teams, he's not good or consistent enough to be playing at this level, clearly otherwise he would be playing ahead of howson/Saville in the wide positions, same goes for VLP, he probably would get in most bottom half teams but if you look at the teams around us looking at their squads I think he would struggle to break into their first teams.

No because he is to young for Pulis, he needs protection :-P Pulis dident play Wing either because he is to young :-P (he is 23)

If you look what we spent on players and our squad we should be top 2, that is what most people are feeling but Pulis negative football is holding us back... We are top 6 despite of Pulis not thanks to

And this comes from one of the Pulis defenders, I actually like Pulis, but he is very much wrong to have as manager in a promotion chasing team

Let's not get into a comparison about people's mental health. Everyone is different, yeah?

Let's celebrate the win for what it is and look forward to the next game!

Props again to Darren Gandolph with his immense you shall not pass.

First half was excellent, I really enjoyed watching that. Buzzing with the three points and on to the next game.

Good result. I saw the team this morning and basically lost all hope for a result, but the lads got it done. Possibly playing attacking players at full backs when you are playing 5 at the back works (rather than centre backs) - but who knew? (Except Southgate, Chelsea, Liverpool and the Dutch.)

Don’t agree that this place has just become a place to slag off Pulis. He is not performing miracles - he inherited at least a top 6 squad and is getting them there (just about) while playing awful football. He is nowhere near the football manager Demi-god that he makes out and surely no one is buying his rubbish about having spent no money (he has) and not having had a chance to sign the players he wants (he rejected some done deals for the positions required).

Anyway good win, let’s hope we can build on it and go on a good run now that our fixtures get easier - unfortunately our results have been worse against bad teams generally, so it is vital Pulis plays more attacking players from here on in.

Also - why have we not got Downing’s contract sorted yet??