oneBoro Forum

Boro Vs Preston 1-2 (Fletcher)

After Saturday's performance Britt probably deserves dropping, he was useless.

His running in behind is what made the first goal and actually gave us some sort of outlet.

I sometimes wonder if I watch a different game to others.

Every game I watch theres not many who you can say had a good game, in fairness to Britt hes one of the ones who does but is always singled out if hes off the boil and even then he still tries to put a shift in, I guess when hes gone and we get "1 goal in 17 games Vassell" from Brum the Britt haters will be satisfied.

I'm trying to think of players who never have "off days" although I can think of a few who do, Sanchez comes to mind, Salah at the start of the season, Ozil,  Aguerro had a bad patch too yet Britt, out of favour, usually on the bench without any sort of consistent run in the team has to be 100% perfect every time he plays.

Not sure its the game they are watching but more the glasses they are watching them through - certainly not rose tinted in Britts case.

I don't know why you get your knickers in a twist every time you read an opinion you don't like.

I single Britt out because I don't think he works as hard as the rest of the team, I'm not saying he doesn't try but in terms of work rate he's a long way behind the rest of the team. He's just so frustrating to watch and he makes the wrong decision on the pitch so many times, I hear the fans getting frustrated with him a lot in the ground it isn't just me picking on him.

I respect people's opinions but I'm not sure how many actually go to the game on here to form a proper opinion. You see far more in the ground than you do on a laptop. Things like movement off the ball, closing players down and body language are things you can see miles better in the stadium.

I looked on fmttm the other day and there was a thread on there where people were pretty unanimous that Britt was poor and deserved to come off on Saturday.  The problem wasn't him coming off it was who came on and the tactics that were the problem.

I've been to every home match this season and a few away, does that validate my opinion sufficiently for you?

You single out Britt for lack of effort but I don't seem to be able to remember when one team won a football match based purely on effort alone? Could you give me a hand? If there's any examples then by all means get the hard working local lad on up top to run around like a headless chicken and dive every time someone breathes on him.

If the problem wasn't with Britt going off, why did large sections of the crowd sing his name just after he went off and just after both goals on Saturday? Seems a strange thing to do to someone who they thought shouldn't be on the pitch...

Fair enough I didn't realise you were a regular at the game, the majority on here seem to be expats and overseas fans i just assumed you were the same. I tell you what, watch Britt closely in the next game he plays and count how many times the play breaks down when the ball gets to him.

I'm not talking about when he's 30 yards away from the nearest player, I feel sorry for him in that situation but in games like last Saturday where he's got his back to goal and players to feed the ball off too but he's trying to turn into a man or shooting from 35 yards out like he did in the second half. I understand he's not Aguero or Salah, I've never compared him to those players anyway and he will make mistakes but he just takes the wrong option over and over again. 

You say how many times is a game won on effort, how many games do you win when players aren't giving it 100%? I'm not saying Britt doesn't care but I don't think he sees it as part of his game sometimes to track players down, for some people that's not a problem but I've seen far better players than him in a Boro shirt running themselves ragged for the team.

I don't particularly want Hugill on the pitch running round like a headless chicken either. If we want a player to make runs in behind we'd have been better moving Fletcher up top on Saturday and playing someone like Tav in behind him. 

I think the Britt chants on Saturday were an anti-Pulis chant rather than anything else, it was letting Pulis know they were unhappy with him. I haven't spoken to many people who thought Britt was unlucky to be taken off on Saturday, I heard the same on the phone in and read it on here and fmttm. Most people seemed to be cheesed off with the tactics rather than the actual personal involved in the change. If Hugill or Tav had come on off the bench I don't think they'd have been any complaints in the ground.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

His running in behind is what made the first goal and actually gave us some sort of outlet.

Every game I watch theres not many who you can say had a good game, in fairness to Britt hes one of the ones who does but is always singled out if hes off the boil and even then he still tries to put a shift in, I guess when hes gone and we get "1 goal in 17 games Vassell" from Brum the Britt haters will be satisfied.

I'm trying to think of players who never have "off days" although I can think of a few who do, Sanchez comes to mind, Salah at the start of the season, Ozil,  Aguerro had a bad patch too yet Britt, out of favour, usually on the bench without any sort of consistent run in the team has to be 100% perfect every time he plays.

Not sure its the game they are watching but more the glasses they are watching them through - certainly not rose tinted in Britts case.

I don't know why you get your knickers in a twist every time you read an opinion you don't like.

I single Britt out because I don't think he works as hard as the rest of the team, I'm not saying he doesn't try but in terms of work rate he's a long way behind the rest of the team. He's just so frustrating to watch and he makes the wrong decision on the pitch so many times, I hear the fans getting frustrated with him a lot in the ground it isn't just me picking on him.

I respect people's opinions but I'm not sure how many actually go to the game on here to form a proper opinion. You see far more in the ground than you do on a laptop. Things like movement off the ball, closing players down and body language are things you can see miles better in the stadium.

I looked on fmttm the other day and there was a thread on there where people were pretty unanimous that Britt was poor and deserved to come off on Saturday.  The problem wasn't him coming off it was who came on and the tactics that were the problem.

It doesn’t seem you massively respect anyone’s opinion, because whenever someone disagrees with you, you use the same old tired mantra that people on here must not go to the games if they have an opinion different to you!

Well a lot of people don't go to the game on here that's a fact not a criticism, when analysing certain aspects of a game there's no way watching on a PC gives you the same perspective that you get at a game. 

When people disagree with me I get the same tired comments that I must be watching a different game or I am judging him on the standards of Salah and Aguero. It goes both ways you see.

I wonder if Britt plays tonight, my friend sits right behind the dug out and told me that when Britt was substituted Woodgate was thumbing him and shouting "get off - get off" to which Britt reacted by facing up to him and telling him to f**k off. Maybe thats why he was seen leaving just after 5?  

Woodgate is definitely up Pulis's backside like -   hope to God hes not going to be our next manager even though I backed it in a moment of desperation not so long ago.

What I'de like to know he was scoring for fun at Forest,whats changed? or has he found the Parmo shop Alves used

Britt wasn't good on Saturday. Probably the least effective player on the pitch. However the substitution was completely baffling. First of all it was too early to bring him on, and second Tav or Hugill should have come on to give Brentford something to think about. It wasn't Britts best game.

Given Pulis' comments today I fully expect Friend and Hugill to start. I just hope it's two up top. Preferably still Britt and Fletcher. I think we'll lose this one too 1-2.

I wonder if Britt plays tonight, my friend sits right behind the dug out and told me that when Britt was substituted Woodgate was thumbing him and shouting "get off - get off" to which Britt reacted by facing up to him and telling him to f**k off. Maybe thats why he was seen leaving just after 5?  

Woodgate is definitely up Pulis's backside like -   hope to God hes not going to be our next manager even though I backed it in a moment of desperation not so long ago.

What I'de like to know he was scoring for fun at Forest,whats changed? or has he found the Parmo shop Alves used

Britt will consistently score goals in the right team, to get the best out of him I think you need to build the team around him. Its the same with Jordan Rhodes he has a knack of getting into goal scoring positions but is he good enough to play up front on his own?

Being a manager is about picking a team that gets the best results, Kike and Nugent weren't the best goalscorers in the division but they fitted into the way we played under Karanka.

There's certain strikers in the modern game like Britt and Rhodes who would have flourished in Bernie Slaven's era, that was when teams played with 2 out and out strikers and wingers who were putting loads of crosses into the box.

Edit - this isn't me defending Pulis either because I can't stand his tactics.

Britt will consistently score goals in the right team, to get the best out of him I think you need to build the team around him. Its the same with Jordan Rhodes he has a knack of getting into goal scoring positions but is he good enough to play up front on his own?

Being a manager is about picking a team that gets the best results, Kike and Nugent weren't the best goalscorers in the division but they fitted into the way we played under Karanka.

There's certain strikers in the modern game like Britt and Rhodes who would have flourished in Bernie Slaven's era, that was when teams played with 2 out and out strikers and wingers who were putting loads of crosses into the box.

Edit - this isn't me defending Pulis either because I can't stand his tactics.

Pretty much spot, but as my mate always jokes whenever we're looking at a striker who scores goals  "don't worry we'll soon knock that out of him".

Britt's a funny one.  He didn't play particularly well on the weekend but then he wasn't any worse than most of them in my opinion.  Brentford weren't dominating possession because of Britt and Britt in part looks worse than he is because of how we play.  I think the lack of effort comments are unfair because he does make an effort however if no bugger passes him the ball then I don't see how that can be his fault?  Or, if the type of pass he gets, launched in his general direction as an example, isn't really going to give him a chance of getting it then again I don't see that being his fault.  

The problem on the weekend is that we had 5 midfielders on the park, two at wingback or whatever, and they couldn't get any kind of control of the ball even when we were ahead.  Part of that is because that's just not our game.  It should be a concern that we have the best midfielder in the league and we still can't or won't get hold of games against sides that tend to keep hold of the ball.  That's a failing in tactics not of a striker.

Last night, Sheff Utd with 10 men and 1-0 up brought on Billy Sharp for someone, I think it was a defender, with about half an hour to go, so roughly the same time as we did the opposite with 11 men.  I don't know what difference it made as I wasn't watching it but I know they went on to win 2-0 and we went on to lose 2-1.  That's probably a poor comparison to be fair as every game is different but it does show a different mentality at work at the very least.

As for tonight, I reckon Friend will be back in and Assombalonga will be out. Hugill might get a start in Britt's place so Friend will have to come in for someone else I suppose, Fletcher or one of the midfielders.

For the first time since this red button thing came out I think I'm going to stick the Champions League on instead and follow the text updates of our game. Pulis has made this team boring and gutless in his own image so after a long days work i'd rather unwind to something I'll actually enjoy.

Finding it hard to even care about the play-offs anymore cos if we win it only increases the likelihood that he stays and we do this all again next year with even fewer goals and wins. I guess at this stage I just want to see promising individual displays from players such as Fletcher who could flourish under a better manager next year.

For the first time since this red button thing came out I think I'm going to stick the Champions League on instead and follow the text updates of our game. Pulis has made this team boring and gutless in his own image so after a long days work i'd rather unwind to something I'll actually enjoy.

Finding it hard to even care about the play-offs anymore cos if we win it only increases the likelihood that he stays and we do this all again next year with even fewer goals and wins. I guess at this stage I just want to see promising individual displays from players such as Fletcher who could flourish under a better manager next year.

Its a catch 22 situation support the team knowing in the back of your mind that every win is a step closer to watching Pulis ball next season, what a bloody awful situation to be in.

Britt's a funny one.  He didn't play particularly well on the weekend but then he wasn't any worse than most of them in my opinion.  Brentford weren't dominating possession because of Britt and Britt in part looks worse than he is because of how we play.  I think the lack of effort comments are unfair because he does make an effort however if no bugger passes him the ball then I don't see how that can be his fault?  Or, if the type of pass he gets, launched in his general direction as an example, isn't really going to give him a chance of getting it then again I don't see that being his fault.  

The problem on the weekend is that we had 5 midfielders on the park, two at wingback or whatever, and they couldn't get any kind of control of the ball even when we were ahead.  Part of that is because that's just not our game.  It should be a concern that we have the best midfielder in the league and we still can't or won't get hold of games against sides that tend to keep hold of the ball.  That's a failing in tactics not of a striker.

Last night, Sheff Utd with 10 men and 1-0 up brought on Billy Sharp for someone, I think it was a defender, with about half an hour to go, so roughly the same time as we did the opposite with 11 men.  I don't know what difference it made as I wasn't watching it but I know they went on to win 2-0 and we went on to lose 2-1.  That's probably a poor comparison to be fair as every game is different but it does show a different mentality at work at the very least.

Who's the best midfielder in the league? I'm assuming Mikel. After a very bright start he seemed to have much less of an effect against Brentford, don't know if it was their quick passing that exposed his slight lack of pace or just him having an off day.

Completely agree on your points about Britt.

Who's the best midfielder in the league? I'm assuming Mikel. After a very bright start he seemed to have much less of an effect against Brentford, don't know if it was their quick passing that exposed his slight lack of pace or just him having an off day.

Completely agree on your points about Britt.

I think it was because Brentford just played around us so well and rather quick and there is just so much ground he can cover. We had very little going forward and once Britt came off we were constantly under pressure with no reply. Everyone struggled except the Orc who was probably just proud that we only lost by a single goal and actually scored at home. What a farce we are becoming under this dinosaur. There litterally isn't a singe positive thing to say about him.

Yeah I meant Mikel or maybe I meant McNair.  Any team with quick passing like that can play through us because of how rigid we tend to be.  On a related theme, I bet we are one of the worst passers ourselves in the league, by accuracy anyway and we probably average lower possession than most as a result.

I looked on fmttm the other day and there was a thread on there where people were pretty unanimous that Britt was poor and deserved to come off on Saturday. The problem wasn't him coming off it was who came on and the tactics that were the problem.

Having a different opinion to someone else on an Internet forum is "getting my knickers in a twist" if I respond with my opinion - so you completely ignore posts of different opinion to you do you? (except mine I guess)

Where do I say I "don't like" other people's opinions? It would be a bit boring if we all had exactly the same opinion on everything don't you think - or is that what a forum is for, to agree on everything and I'm the turd in the punchbowl?

If anyones knickers are in a twist I think it's yours.

Throwing FMTTM at me hardly validates your opinion, like mine it's your opinion, which I just don't happen to share, as for the stadium view I've seen myself thinking "Howson is having a great game" and a bloke next to me who's a Howson hater saying he's the worst player on the park, that's why I made the glasses comment.

My favourite part of what you ssid is "I respect people's opinions but......" then you basically go on to say people are not capable of forming an opinion unless what - they are stood in exactly the same place as you and watching exactly the same players "actions" as you?

When I say "every game I watch" I mean at a stadium or on sky - I don't think I've watched Boro in my life on a laptop. I either go, watch on sky or don't bother - I go to a lot more away games than home as I enjoy the atmosphere still there - I take it your at every away match too - forming your 100% percect opinion?