oneBoro Forum

A personal letter to Steve Gibson and a new poll

Should Tony Pulis be sacked  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tony Pulis be sacked

I said a couple of weeks ago that I was going to write to Mr Gibson to explain my decision not to renew and to not attend any further games until Tony Pulis is sacked. I finally got round to it and thought I'd post it here just in case people wanted to change it and send their own.

Dear Mr Gibson,

You may never read this letter, but it is worth writing anyway as I feel if I don’t then I am betraying the football club that I feel so strongly about. I wanted to write to you to inform you of my decision not to renew my season ticket for next year at this moment in time and give you the reasons for my decision.

My current season ticket number is , prior to last year I had been a season ticket holder for 5 years but couldn’t commit to a season ticket due to working away. However, I still attended most home games and all southern away games last year. I have been a Boro fan for my whole life, I have experienced the incredible highs of promotion under Aitor Karanka and the UEFA cup run under Steve McClaren as well as the very low points of relegations. In the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons I did everything in my power to make it to games, this wasn’t just because we were winning, it was because the entire football club and its supporters felt like one entity, it felt special. Unfortunately, this is not the case at the moment. The football club feels more divided than it ever has during my time following the Boro and that is painful to see, particularly when the blame can be placed solely at one man’s door, Tony Pulis.

I am deeply passionate about our football club and it is for that reason that what is currently happening at our football club pains me so much. The current regime is driving people away, making people fall out of love with the football club that they care so much about. The football is attritional, we set up negatively both at home and away and it is depressing to watch. Our two cup exits this year were, to be honest, disgusting. They are two of the worst games I have seen us play. I don’t expect us to progress to the latter stages of cup competitions, but I do expect us to at least try to progress, something which it is very hard to say that we did against either Newport or Burton by having one attacker on the pitch against teams more than a division below us. Is this what you want to see from your football club? Is this the type of football you want to see from the team that you spend millions on every single year? I know for certain it isn’t what I want to see, and I only spend hundreds on this team every year.

I don’t ask for a team that wins every week. I only ask for a team that sets out to win games and shows the fight and effort that we all expect. I want a team that I am proud to say that I support again, I want a team that fights tooth and nail for every ball. Unfortunately, we haven’t had this since the 2015/16 promotion season

For these reasons I have regretfully come to the decision that I will not be renewing my season ticket at this moment in time. If the managerial situation changes, I will be first in line to renew but until that happens, I simply can’t bring myself to spend such a large sum of money on something that I no longer get any enjoyment out of. The best part of my matchday experience has become going to the pub beforehand, and I can do that without spending over £400 on a season ticket.

I hope you get the time to read this letter as my feelings are certainly not unique a***st Boro fans. Current surveys on our various fan forums have people wanting the current manager to be sacked at well above 80% of the people surveyed, that is unprecedented during my time following Middlesbrough. I have already given up on this season, as have a lot of our fans. I have no confidence that we will make the playoffs and even on the off chance that we did I would expect a similarly pathetic performance to the one we saw against Aston Villa last season. For all the reasons listed above and many more I implore you to make a change before it is too late. If no change is made, I will not come back, and I know of many others who have no intention of returning under Tony Pulis’ stewardship either. This man has eroded every aspect of our football that I took pride in, he has alienated and sold players who cared far more for this football club than he ever could.

As I said earlier, I hope you get chance to read this letter and I hope you take on board the things I have said as I only write this letter from a position of deep love for our football club. I hope you can answer some of the questions I have asked, and I also hope that you act on the overwhelming opinion of the fans. Please give us something to love again, Steve.

Yours regrettably,

I implore everyone who agrees with it's sentiments to print off their own version personal version of this letter and send it addressed to:

Mr Steve Gibson

Chairman

Middlesbrough Football Club

Riverside Stadium

Middlesbrough

TS3 6RS

It is very easy to ignore criticism online, it is not easy to ignore hundreds of physical letters sent directly to you.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pulis won't be sacked, he'll just leave at the end of the season.   The Gazette will roll out how he has "transformed" the behind the scenes of the club, without giving specific examples.   Woodg

I might be in the minority here but I actually feel as annoyed with Steve Gibson as I do with Pulis.

We're are approaching the end of the decade and if we look back at the last ten years 2010-2020 you have to say the majority of the football has been absolutely garbage.

In that time we've had the likes of Strachan, Agnew, Monk and Pulis. Mowbray never got a chance and the only bright spot in a decade were two season's under Karanka. All the promise we showed under AK was for nothing and we're heading back to where we were 10 years ago.

I don't want a new chairman, I love the fact that we have a genuine fan in charge. However I want him to look at the way the club is being run and try and build something that will last.

I might be in the minority here but I actually feel as annoyed with Steve Gibson as I do with Pulis.

We're are approaching the end of the decade and if we look back at the last ten years 2010-2020 you have to say the majority of the football has been absolutely garbage.

In that time we've had the likes of Strachan, Agnew, Monk and Pulis. Mowbray never got a chance and the only bright spot in a decade were two season's under Karanka. All the promise we showed under AK was for nothing and we're heading back to where we were 10 years ago.

I don't want a new chairman, I love the fact that we have a genuine fan in charge. However I want him to look at the way the club is being run and try and build something that will last.

I felt it is more likely to get the message home and potentially get a positive response if criticism of the man the letter is addressed to was left out, although I don't really disagree with any of your points.

I felt it is more likely to get the message home and potentially get a positive response if criticism of the man the letter is addressed to was left out, although I don't really disagree with any of your points.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of writing a letter giving him dogs abuse. Hopefully if he's in any doubt about Pulis then letters like yours will drive home the message.

I was just making a separate point about what I think is the bigger picture but maybe that's better for another thread.

Your intentions are admirable, but it’s probably not worth shelling out on the price of a stamp, our chairman has his own plans and you won’t change his agenda.

I disagree. You can't ignore overwhelming public opinion in this game.

I think the big turning point for the current regime will be when the early bird deadline shuts.

If the number of renewals has dropped significantly (which i expect to be the case) then I think this will force a decision.

Your intentions are admirable, but it’s probably not worth shelling out on the price of a stamp, our chairman has his own plans and you won’t change his agenda.

I disagree. You can't ignore overwhelming public opinion in this game.

In an ideal world that would be the case, but I just don’t think he cares what anyone else thinks, I’m sure he’s been aware of how the fans feel for a while, but he’s a successful businessman, he’s not going to care what you or I think.

Go ahead, post your letter, but I really don’t think you will force his hand with it.

I think the big turning point for the current regime will be when the early bird deadline shuts.

If the number of renewals has dropped significantly (which i expect to be the case) then I think this will force a decision.

When is the deadline?

It would be amazing to see the comparison in numbers this year compared to last year.

It will be things like that and the drop in matchday food and drink sales, which another member has mentioned that will get Gibson's attention.

Let's just hope it's even worse than the projections, as they will be anticipating lower numbers anyway, two years removed from the PL.

When is the deadline?

It would be amazing to see the comparison in numbers this year compared to last year.

It will be things like that and the drop in matchday food and drink sales, which another member has mentioned that will get Gibson's attention.

Let's just hope it's even worse than the projections, as they will be anticipating lower numbers anyway, two years removed from the PL.

Its about the middle of April, i cant remember the exact date.

I honestly can't see more that about 10-12k renewing unless we suddenly start playing brilliant football before then.

When is the deadline?

Early bird deadline is 12th April, got an email last Friday reminding me its a month away.

When is the deadline?

Its about the middle of April, i cant remember the exact date.

I honestly can't see more that about 10-12k renewing unless we suddenly start playing brilliant football before then.

Agree. You will get those "i've been a season ticket holder for X years" and will buy one regardless.

Let's look at things another way.

If you were Steve Gibson, what would you do between now and the end of the season?

Bear in mind the current level of apathy, how would you try and create a feel good factor again?

Obviously we've got to try and make the playoffs while there's still a chance and we need to get people motivated to want to buy season tickets.