oneBoro Forum

The EG shows it's teeth......at last!

Terrific article from Anthony Vickers, next on the MFC banning list.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/broken-middlesbrough-limping-towards-end-16096349

The club won’t object to that piece, Vickery is clever enough to include the Karanka era as part of the disastrous 5 years. If the article had said that we’ve had a disastrous last 2 years, it would have upset the apple cart far more.

Personally I think it’s a bit of a cop out.

This is a very weird article about Pulis’ disappointment that Tav hasn’t had more game time.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-pulis-reveals-marcus-tavernier-16097021

Who’s picking the team?

Yeah this is strange - it's almost like he is saying that if he could he would have picked him more - but then he is picking the team.

I think he is trying to create a bit of positive spin for himself by saying Tav hasn't had the chances he deserves (and the fans like him) but then it's flawed because it's his own fault.

Nothing terrific about this article. Just the Gazette deflecting blame from the true culprits, Gibson and his cronies.

I disagree - what links them all together is the message? It also shows how far the pendulum swings every time - who decides that?

I think it non-explicitly points the finger at Bausor and Gibson, "Then there was a well intentioned but badly executed spending spree" being an example.

Somehow everything is still Karanka's fault  :cheese:

Unbelievable.

Exactly, It’s ridiculous. My only thought is that AV is playing it safe so as not to upset the current regime.

Haha this is exactly what my thoughts were guys. The Gazette did a much more critical article a couple of days back and this to me is an attempt to take some of that back. How this goes back to Karanka is completely beyond me. That was two managers and two squads ago for crying out loud!

Well they have to tread a little carefully don't they... I think it was a good piece. Anthony's always apparent alliteration aside :)

Think he makes a good point about the end of an era. We started at a low when AK came, had the highs, and now its all done. Time to build something new.

I mean they've carried some ridiculous water for Pulis/Boro for the past few years who can forget the infamous 'overhaul' Pulis got credited with a few months ago, no one at the EG apparently had any critical thinking to remotely follow up on what those changes actually were if any.

My favourite was Tarrentire writing an article December 20th-ish about how Pulis has 1-2 more points at the same stage than Monk did when he was sacked here's why Tony is no Monk and why Gibson will and should stick by him.

Separate the opinion from the straight line reporting would be a good start, too often it gets blurred there they made that mistake before then to make up for it I think they got way too close to Gibson in the Karanka years they even attended the promotion party at Rockliffe. The club is so lucky the crowd didn't turn this bad months ago as for the bits about Aitor being a stresshead who couldn't cope he took us to a playoff final with a squad of loans and to the Premier League with a squad worth less than half of the one Pulis has had control of for 18 months. Him whitewashing Agnew as an out of his depth appointment is... not what him or the EG were writing at the time they were hyping Agnew up like he could take over permanently that summer.

Anyway now we'll get some post mortem articles from them until June when we appoint someone new and then we'll get a fans expectations need to be lowered there is no money and players will leave and then we'll be at the Mowbray point of the Mowbray-Karanka-Clusterduck cycle so that'll be fun.

1 question he doesn't ask himself is the loss in trust from fans towards the club hasn't really been happening since Aitor the relationship was actually pretty good during those years there was even a cheesy slogan and song video about it which the club promoted. The last time the Gazette got asked about our poor recruitment over the years and who's to blame they said Bauser isn't to blame because he doesn't identify players he 'just' negotiates deals and contracts so when they change their stance on that nonsense I'll start taking them seriously again.

I like Vickers but a lot of what he wrote there isn't what he was writing at the time and he's whitewashing a lot of bad decisions that didn't involve Aitor, Monk or Victor Orta.

I like Vickers but a lot of what he wrote there isn't what he was writing at the time and he's whitewashing a lot of bad decisions that didn't involve Aitor, Monk or Victor Orta.

A lot of us aren't writing now what we wrote at the time. When he was appointed, I thought Pulis would strip out the dead wood from Monk's candy-store spending spree, and build on our defensive solidity. I wanted Nigel Pearson to get the job, but I accepted Pulis as a means of bringing down the wage bill and grinding our way to promotion.

The Gazette has had its head up the club's trapdoor for a while, so a piece like AV's is refreshingly (if belatedly) accurate. And it does capture the sense of frustration many of us feel about the wasted opportunity of promotion, Monk repeating Strachan's mistakes, etc. Whether you like him or not, he's writing like a fan - like one of us.

Plus, it gives me hope that the EG know Pulis won't be around for long. His departure would be the one real bright spot in a pretty disappointing season.