oneBoro Forum

The EG shows it's teeth......at last!

Although Vickers has shown some balls in writing this, shifting any blame onto Aitor Karanka's shoulders is a bit like blaming Napoleon for WW2. Yes, there's a link there, but it's very tenuous. Basically it's just a way of coyly letting Pulis and Gibson off the hook.

Karanka is an easy scapegoat. Maybe because he was not 'one of the lads'? The language gap might have had something to do with that. Instead he threw himself heart and soul into doing his job, to a frankly manic extent. And he probably got mightily p*ssed off when the rest of the crew did not share that obsession.

Although Vickers has shown some balls in writing this, shifting any blame onto Aitor Karanka's shoulders is a bit like blaming Napoleon for WW2. Yes, there's a link there, but it's very tenuous. Basically it's just a way of coyly letting Pulis and Gibson off the hook.

Karanka is an easy scapegoat. Maybe because he was not 'one of the lads'? The language gap might have had something to do with that. Instead he threw himself heart and soul into doing his job, to a frankly manic extent. And he probably got mightily p*ssed off when the rest of the crew did not share that obsession.

It genuinely infuriates me that Karanka is still being blamed. He cared more for our fans and our club than Pulis could ever imagine, he ran himself into the ground to try and achieve what he believed in. Pulis doesn’t even attend training every day.

The fact that his name is still being dragged through the mud to exonerate the ones truly at fault is as disappointing as it is transparent.

Same will. But I guess to some hell always be that foreigner who came in with his foreign players and tore our dressing room apart. Just deciding that the Spanish speaking players were the villains of the piece rather than your downings, friends, claytons etc.

This article will give a good memory jog for anyone who can't remember the atmosphere/reasons Aitor was let go.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/16/aitor-karanka-middlesbrough-sacked-tactics-clashes-players

I'm not saying Karanka wasn't demanding but re reading the daggers in that piece it seems like Agnew had it in for him from day 1 and as soon as Bamford arrived in January there was problems there then Gibson and Downing finished him off.

I'm absolutely not saying people can't change opinions I was pretty sure about Pulis up until around November and we just started missing benchmarks in a big way so I 'turned' pretty hard against him you can't play the way he plays and satisfy by just getting the playoffs you need to get top 2 and grind it out especially with the cost of the squad he has. I just don't call other fans out or label them based on their opinions of the team you just sort of imagine in the pool of Boro fans in the world there's different types so while I welcome Vickers contribution to the post mortem let's not pretend he didn't run around for the past year calling any critic of Pulis a 'boo boy' and any critic of transfer policy as simply uninformed of the financial situation whilst we're offering Bolasie silly money and buying a 6th CM for 8 million...

I'd love to know the full story from Aitor's point of view how much of a say he had in appointing Agnew/bringing back Downing/Rhodes etc maybe one day he'll write a book. I think he had to go because in the end you could see it in every interview he was drained and it got stale on the pitch but the idea he was fully to blame for everything and him and Victor Ota left us in some terrible mess in summer 2017 has always been ridiculous the leak and smear campaign after we sacked Aitor is to this day one of the most disgraceful things I've seen the club do one I wont forget especially when Pulis starts telling transfer tales and training tales when he's gone.