oneBoro Forum

Investment Rumours. Reality or Red Bull S***?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the point that if we get back into the Premier League then local supporter income becomes less important but we've been trying to do that for 10 years already, with substantial investment from Gibson at times.  If we can get there then fine, but what if we don't?  If your business plan relies on Premiership status then the first question to be asked is 'What if you don't achieve that? 

Every other team in the league is competing for that same goal, obviously with differing levels of ambition and success, but a lot of them can do it with a much stronger base financial position than we can.  Gibson's willingness to put money in when times are hard is the sole reason we've been able to keep competing and new investors will be aware of that.  How much does the club owe Gibson currently?  And would he be willing to write it off if a buyer came in, or build it into the sale price?  Or would he want to be repaid as a creditor beyond the sale of the club?

As said above, we're a high risk and potentially high yield investment.  We'll be a cheaper option than other clubs but getting a return on your money is heavily reliant on establishing ourselves in the Premier League again and expanding our profile globally.

I wouldn't really compare our sale to Newcastle's as they are significantly bigger than us (as much as it pains to say it!) but there are other comparisons in the Championship and League One with much bigger potential than us sadly.  Clubs like Sunderland, Derby, Leeds, Sheffield Utd or Wed, Bristol City, even Coventry maybe. 

Obviously a lot depends on who these mystery investors might be.  Red Bull is an interesting one as they've shown a different strategy with their current clubs, rather than being a giant tax write-off / laundering scam as we've seen with some of these foreign takeovers.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see!

A few fair points but it’s all just ifs and buts from a mainly negative bias.

You can point out how much money we’ve spent and failed to get promoted and therefore nobody else with big money could get us promoted.

You could then counter that by pointing out the top 2 having squads worth less than assombalonga, you can point out Cardiff getting promoted, Huddersfield, I’m not sure Fulham spent much when they went up, Leeds also haven’t spent huge amounts.

The actual facts are the promoted teams are often the ones that don’t spend a fortune, the best players in the league are mostly cheap unknowns and premiership loans.

In other words it’s not how much money you put in it’s how you put the money in and we got it badly badly wrong.

I’m not hoping for an investor to buy the league, I’m hoping they can set out a long term plan, something a bit more forward thinking and expand the clubs horizons a bit.

Nothing against you but it’s just a dreary small time thinking, negative ramble. Coventry?

A few fair points but it’s all just ifs and buts from a mainly negative bias.

You can point out how much money we’ve spent and failed to get promoted and therefore nobody else with big money could get us promoted.

You could then counter that by pointing out the top 2 having squads worth less than assombalonga, you can point out Cardiff getting promoted, Huddersfield, I’m not sure Fulham spent much when they went up, Leeds also haven’t spent huge amounts.

The actual facts are the promoted teams are often the ones that don’t spend a fortune, the best players in the league are mostly cheap unknowns and premiership loans.

In other words it’s not how much money you put in it’s how you put the money in and we got it badly badly wrong.

I’m not hoping for an investor to buy the league, I’m hoping they can set out a long term plan, something a bit more forward thinking and expand the clubs horizons a bit.

Nothing against you but it’s just a dreary small time thinking, negative ramble. Coventry?

Totally agree. And one other point is that bone of the teams mentioned have had any European exposure and/or connected to other main footballing powers recently. Our (granted very short) European history and affiliations with huge names like juninho and ravanelli will still have certain areas of the globe knowing who we are. A bit of nouse could unlock markets financially. That is rather than only selling shirts from one store, inside the stadium.

I understand the point that if we get back into the Premier League then local supporter income becomes less important but we've been trying to do that for 10 years already, with substantial investment from Gibson at times.  If we can get there then fine, but what if we don't?  If your business plan relies on Premiership status then the first question to be asked is 'What if you don't achieve that? 

Every other team in the league is competing for that same goal, obviously with differing levels of ambition and success, but a lot of them can do it with a much stronger base financial position than we can.  Gibson's willingness to put money in when times are hard is the sole reason we've been able to keep competing and new investors will be aware of that.  How much does the club owe Gibson currently?  And would he be willing to write it off if a buyer came in, or build it into the sale price?  Or would he want to be repaid as a creditor beyond the sale of the club?

As said above, we're a high risk and potentially high yield investment.  We'll be a cheaper option than other clubs but getting a return on your money is heavily reliant on establishing ourselves in the Premier League again and expanding our profile globally.

I wouldn't really compare our sale to Newcastle's as they are significantly bigger than us (as much as it pains to say it!) but there are other comparisons in the Championship and League One with much bigger potential than us sadly.  Clubs like Sunderland, Derby, Leeds, Sheffield Utd or Wed, Bristol City, even Coventry maybe. 

Obviously a lot depends on who these mystery investors might be.  Red Bull is an interesting one as they've shown a different strategy with their current clubs, rather than being a giant tax write-off / laundering scam as we've seen with some of these foreign takeovers.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see!

I would suggest Newcastle would be the bigger risk. At least 4 times the cost and all that is based on TV money (staying in the premier league). If they are relegated then that value halves at very best. And let's face it, the premier league is 6 decent sides and then 14 trying to not finish in the bottom 3 - yes there are possible exceptions with Everton but even teams that finish top half one year can be battling relegation the next, see Burnley, west Brom and many others.

Investing in a championship team means the initial outlay is unlikely to go down (to far) and one good promotion season means the value (or potential yield) is enormous. Especially if it is generally a youth structure that takes you up and you use a money ball approach (red bull teams do tend to invest in youth and sell on at a profit)

I cant believe the thread has managed to grow but I guess kept in the dark and fed sh@t mushrooms thrive. I’ll say it if others won’t, Newcastle can’t find a buyer and they are a far better investment than us, there you go said it. Investors have far better options to profit than a run down town with a depressed club or possibly some think rich people have a affection for the club. The only good football clubs are for is to write off tax from other investments. Apart from the club SG has hospitality and property that may well be of interest to investors but again it’s just speculation. I’ll state this, if investors are making choices it would be done with utmost secrecy. If the thread is simply a distraction from our @@@@ football I can understand

I can't believe you still post utter crap like this, but then again put a ***** miles away from the club in Dubai and he will offer up his opinion anyway like it's gospel.

Oh the abuse, here we go again. I posted a comment, no different than most others do and I’m entitled to do so. If you don’t agree, which in most cases you don’t, feel free to constructively counter. I don’t see what distance or location has to do with the posting and possibly you could expand and on the subject.

I cant believe the thread has managed to grow but I guess kept in the dark and fed sh@t mushrooms thrive. I’ll say it if others won’t, Newcastle can’t find a buyer and they are a far better investment than us, there you go said it. Investors have far better options to profit than a run down town with a depressed club or possibly some think rich people have a affection for the club. The only good football clubs are for is to write off tax from other investments. Apart from the club SG has hospitality and property that may well be of interest to investors but again it’s just speculation. I’ll state this, if investors are making choices it would be done with utmost secrecy. If the thread is simply a distraction from our @@@@ football I can understand

I can't believe you still post utter crap like this, but then again put a ***** miles away from the club in Dubai and he will offer up his opinion anyway like it's gospel.

Oh the abuse, here we go again. I posted a comment, no different than most others do and I’m entitled to do so. If you don’t agree, which in most cases you don’t, feel free to constructively counter. I don’t see what distance or location has to do with the posting and possibly you could expand and on the subject.

Hey lads, here's a novel idea. How about you stop replying to each others comments and both grow up. The team performances are bad enough without having to sift through people arguing with each other on here as well.

Please for the sake of the forum, get over it.

Hey lads, here's a novel idea. How about you stop replying to each others comments and both grow up. The team performances are bad enough without having to sift through people arguing with each other on here as well.

Please for the sake of the forum, get over it.

Oh so it's fine for him to insult the majority of people who have posted in this thread for having the temerity to discuss a potential buyout/investment opportunity?

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant, there's no need for him to come steaming in on his high horse and his "superior" business knowledge.

I am not easly intimidated and its not my intention to simply come on here and waste time offending individuals, so I will partake in forum discussions and I will continue to do so. I don't come on here because I expect everyone to agree and post the same view otherwise what would be the point of the forum, no I come here because there are some sensible posts from genuine knowledable individuals and it keeps me updated with news of my home.

Hasn't been mentioned yet that Gibson failed in his proposals re ffp yesterday. Not surprising in the slightest, he should be focusing on how badly his own club has been mismanaged from top to bottom.

Hasn't been mentioned yet that Gibson failed in his proposals re ffp yesterday. Not surprising in the slightest, he should be focusing on how badly his own club has been mismanaged from top to bottom.

I get the feeling Gibson was expecting/wanting to fail, now he can get away with breaking the rules too.

I get the feeling Gibson was expecting/wanting to fail, now he can get away with breaking the rules too.

I 100% agree, that's what it seems like from the outside looking in.

I think we have been doing it exactly by the book. Now the meeting has failed we now have a licence to be creative and avoid any sanctions. If we do get caught it's now a case of "well everyone else is doing that too".