oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

If someone comes in with big money for either, I think we'll struggle to hold onto them. I also think despite viewing Fry as a better and more valuable player right now, I'd probably be more sad to lose Tav at this point, purely because he's improved so much in my eyes this past year and been given relatively little time on the pitch to show us what he can do. This time last year, I wasn't convinced by him at all, I thought he was pretty average most the time he spent on the pitch last season. Don't think I could have been more wrong about him on this season's showing.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

20 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

If someone comes in with big money for either, I think we'll struggle to hold onto them. I also think despite viewing Fry as a better and more valuable player right now, I'd probably be more sad to lose Tav at this point, purely because he's improved so much in my eyes this past year and been given relatively little time on the pitch to show us what he can do. This time last year, I wasn't convinced by him at all, I thought he was pretty average most the time he spent on the pitch last season. Don't think I could have been more wrong about him on this season's showing.

Tav had a decent run of games early on but soon dropped from the side and never regained his position. TP's comments about him switching off and being lazy in training should be a big warning sign.

I pay some credence to what Pulis says about Braithwaite because his public profile follows suit quite well. With Tav, I'm not so sure. Pulis also said plenty of times that Tav needs to play, yet in games where his talents could make a difference, he's sat on the bench, being brought on for the last 2 minutes, with little to no chance to do anything.

Let's not start hailing Tav as the messiah but I'm not convinced he's the very naughty boy, either.

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Pulis end of season comments where he said his biggest regret was not getting Tav more game time made me laugh.

Not his finest hour, nope. Though still think he saved his best for last with 'finishing outside the play-offs this season is better than finishing in them last season'.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Not his finest hour, nope. Though still think he saved his best for last with 'finishing outside the play-offs this season is better than finishing in them last season'.

I mean, fair play to him he really stuck to his guns on his "guys this squad isn't actually any good" rhetoric.

25 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Tav had a decent run of games early on but soon dropped from the side and never regained his position. TP's comments about him switching off and being lazy in training should be a big warning sign.

I can’t remember TP say tav was lazy

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, I thought maybe he was critical of a lack of concentration perhaps at some point rather than laziness?  

Pulis: "He's still a little bit....some days he comes in and he's brilliant, some days he's a bit lackadaisical."

lackadaisical - lacking enthusiasm and determination; carelessly lazy.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-pulis-reveals-marcus-tavernier-16097021

26 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Pulis: "He's still a little bit....some days he comes in and he's brilliant, some days he's a bit lackadaisical."

lackadaisical - lacking enthusiasm and determination; carelessly lazy.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-pulis-reveals-marcus-tavernier-16097021

Do you think it's possible that if you know you aren't going to be getting a game even when you're brilliant in training, as Pulis says he has been, that you end up being lackadaisical sometimes?  I don't think Pulis is suggesting he's lazy there tbh and certainly not in the way you seem to be suggesting he is.

Tavernier never had a decent run of games so you're completely wrong to suggest that he did.  At the start of the season he came off the bench 3 times in the first 4 games for 31 mins at Millwall (where he scored), 13 mins at home against Birmingham and 3 mins away at Bristol City.  He wasn't even in the squad for a league game between the Bristol City game on the 18th August and the Stoke City away game on the 3rd November when he was on the bench and got 25 mins.  He wasn't in the squad for the following game but started the next one at Brentford where he scored and got 90 mins.  He was back on the bench again at Preston but came off the bench and scored again and then started the home game against Villa where we got battered.  After that he didn't start a game again and alternated between being on the bench and getting a bit of time here and there, being on the bench but not getting on and not being in the squad at all.  So unless Pulis held him responsible for the defeat against Villa then I'm not sure what he'd done to deserve being overlooked other than scoring 2 goals in 3 games.

In total he had 482 mins of league football spread across the season.  That's bugger all and doesn't represent a decent run of anything.  He actually got some game time in the League Cup where he started the first 4 games and scored a goal with an assist but was then dropped for the quarter final against Burton.

I have no idea whether Tavernier is a good player or not or a potentially good player or not because I don't think he's had enough time to show it either way but I do know he was *** over last season by Pulis.  People forget now that Wing also disappeared from trace at the same time as Tavernier did and also came back into the side at the exact same time as Tavernier did.  So were they both lazy or was it just a manager who has a terrible track record with younger players and who quite clearly has a preference for older experienced players in his sides?  I know what my money is on.

• Like 1