oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

2 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

You'd sell one of the best scorers in the division to buy full backs?

Personally I'd like to see 4-2-3-1

------------------ Randolph ------------------
-- ??????? --- Ayala ---- Fry --- ??????? --
-------------Howson ------ Wing -------------
--- ???????------Braithwaite--- ??????? ----
----------------Assombalonga----------------

at home and away play clayton and shotton/friend

We want a settled style of play surely rather than chopping and changing depending on where were playing. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

We want a settled style of play surely rather than chopping and changing depending on where were playing. 

Not every game but when it's more suitable to play a proper DM rather than CM

I think the days of a "water carrier" DM are a thing of the past in football these days. There's no point dedicating 1 player in the midfield solely to defending, you need players who can sit deep but still affect the game with a range of passing. The best recent example of this is Mikel - he came in and people were RAVING about how classy he looked, but in reality, he was technically limited, generally didn't move the ball forward quickly enough, and was quite anonymous as the season drew to a close. 

5 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I think the days of a "water carrier" DM are a thing of the past in football these days. There's no point dedicating 1 player in the midfield solely to defending, you need players who can sit deep but still affect the game with a range of passing. The best recent example of this is Mikel - he came in and people were RAVING about how classy he looked, but in reality, he was technically limited, generally didn't move the ball forward quickly enough, and was quite anonymous as the season drew to a close. 

I'm hoping we sign full backs ala Ryan Fredericks so away from home if Clayton's needed he can just sit 

6 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I'd say if anything he was technically brilliant, was damn near impossible to press him into a mistake. I think his issue was mobility and defensive work off the ball. Our entire midfield suffered from the fact that there were 5 people trying to do the job of 2/3 players. The role of the DM is to free the rest of the team to play the offensive part of the game, the best of them also have the ability to consistently start attacks when they win the ball back. 

3 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'd say if anything he was technically brilliant, was damn near impossible to press him into a mistake. I think his issue was mobility and defensive work off the ball. Our entire midfield suffered from the fact that there were 5 people trying to do the job of 2/3 players. The role of the DM is to free the rest of the team to play the offensive part of the game, the best of them also have the ability to consistently start attacks when they win the ball back. 

Busquets ?

• Thanks 1

When Mikel first came, the ball at his feet was as safe as in the keepers hands he never lost it, he pretty much always passed it forward and didn’t always go for the easy option. I think fitness caught up with him but he’s the best Cm I’ve seen here for a long time.

15 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I am also convinced with a full pre season under his belt Mikel would be a class act in this division. He looked immense at start and then tailored off but i feel that also had something to with fact he had played zero football for the 3 months prior to joining us and then was asked to play 3 times a week and that eventually caught up with him.

Albeit i accept he wont come back and probably does not want to if he can get a deal at a higher level.

11 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

When Mikel first came, the ball at his feet was as safe as in the keepers hands he never lost it, he pretty much always passed it forward and didn’t always go for the easy option. I think fitness caught up with him but he’s the best Cm I’ve seen here for a long time.

Sorry Linjo. Did not see your post and I basically just repeated what you said regarding Mikel. Lol. Don't want you to accuse me of plagiarism.  

• Like 1

If we play the Liverpool's formation and system of 4-3-3, as some of us are optimistically hoping for, then I think we could set up with: Randolph; RB, Ayala, Fry, LB; Clayton, Howson, Wing (or Saville/McNair); Tavernier, Braithwaite, LW. We would need some top quality fullbacks to pull of that style though so it would take some good recruitment. Also the LW position would need to be of a high quality also. However, Fletcher could potentially do well coming in from the LW to stretch defences.

I'm hoping that Braithwaite could pull off the niche Firmino role of a striker that comes short which open up space for the wingers and fullbacks to cause havoc with their movement and overlaps. That style allows Mane and Salah to essentially operate as effectively as strikers as they're extremely difficult to stop. Therefore, Tavernier and whoever we could sign to play LW would be provided with a great platform to impress. Liverpool's style is a joy to watch so aspiring to play that style is admirable but it's hard to implement successfully so it could take patience.

Assombalonga gets lots of goals but that style of play is not suited to him as his link-up play and first touch is not good enough. He's best stretching defences and poaching so, if we play that style, I think he'd be a square peg in a round hole here so would be wasted and we may be tempted to cash in on him for a significant fee and reinvest the fee into several new signings.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, p_mards said:

If we play the Liverpool's formation and system of 4-3-3, as some of us are optimistically hoping for, then I think we could set up with: Randolph; RB, Ayala, Fry, LB; Clayton, Howson, Wing (or Saville/McNair); Tavernier, Braithwaite, LW. We would need some top quality fullbacks to pull of that style though so it would take some good recruitment. Also the LW position would need to be of a high quality also. However, Fletcher could potentially do well coming in from the LW to stretch defences.

I'm hoping that Braithwaite could pull off the niche Firmino role of a striker that comes short which open up space for the wingers and fullbacks to cause havoc with their movement and overlaps. That styleallows Mane and Salah to essentially operate as effectively as strikers as they're extremely difficult to stop. Therefore, Tavernier and whoever we could sign to play LW would be provided with a great platform to impress. Liverpool's style is a joy to watch so aspiring to play that style is admirable but it's hard to implement successfully so it could take patience.

Assombalonga gets lots of goals but that style of play is not suited to him as his link-up play and first touch is not good enough. He's best stretching defences and poaching so, if we play that style, I think he'd be a square peg in a round hole here so would be wasted and we may be tempted to cash in on him for a significant fee and reinvest the fee into several new signings.

I was thinking Braithwaite could effectively fill that Firmino role but it would mean having 15m worth of player in Britt on the bench, so unless he was sold I think he has to be the main man. It's also incredibly tough to find goalscoring wingers or strikers able to play outwide at Championship level. I don't think it will be a case of playing the exact style more a case of playing to the same principles of pressing as soon as we lose the ball and trying to play possession football.

i think if Britt stays at the club the forward line has to be built around him. Pointless keeping him if not.

I confess I have never been a fan but he can score goals and it will be interesting what Keane can do with him (and Fletcher of course). 

• Like 1

I kind of think we might be looking more at city or even chelseas model more than liverpool's. I know there was talk of woodgate being a big fan of how liverpool set up but has he ever actually said that or is it just hearsay?

Reason I think city is what he said about passing being so important, keeping possession and winning it back as soon as we lose it. That's more Peps wheelhouse than it is liverpool's - klopps teams tend to hit hard and fast as soon as they get the ball whereas city (and sarri's chelsea) will try to pass you to death. That end I think britt fits the aguero mould more than the firmino mould. 

Maybe finances will dictate the formation we play next season?

We are essentially 2 attacking wing backs/ Full backs from having a top first 11 playing 3-5-2 style. Would also fit Braithwaite in nicely should he decide to stick around. 

If we wish to go towards a more 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 we would be needing to find those full backs plus attacking wide players and maybe even a number 10. 

Although I prefer the 4-3-3 I think it would probably be safest and utilize what quality we already have in the squad to stick with the wing backs. There's nothing to say we can't play a high press game with that, Wolves did just fine with it. Sometimes just the change in mentality can get some great results. Look at Leeds this season, pretty much the same squad that finished lower middle table was nearly promoted due to a change in mentality and quality coaching.  

• Like 1

Britt came alive at the start of last season as he was spending far more time in and around the box supported by braithwaite, if we keep Britt that is the only way to use him.

the only thing is if woodgate wants a high press game then I’m not sure Britt, braithwaite or fletcher are suited to that.