oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2019/20 Season

13 minutes ago, mj south said:

Interesting that Woody also sees Tav as a CM. I think he may deploy a diamond formation with Tav at the top of a diamond, Saville and Wing just behind and Clayton or McNair holding maybe?

But where is the pace in that? Suppose it's with Britt and Fletcher/Braithwaite up top. I could get on board with that if we can get some really pacey full backs with stamina, but there isn't a lot of attacking width in that lineup. It would mean less transfer action and more making due with what we have, which I can understand if we struggle to get rid of some players we want to move on.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Borodane said:

But where is the pace in that? Suppose it's with Britt and Fletcher/Braithwaite up top. I could get on board with that if we can get some really pacey full backs with stamina, but there isn't a lot of attacking width in that lineup. It would mean less transfer action and more making due with what we have, which I can understand if we struggle to get rid of some players we want to move on.

Would love Frederick's back for right back, absolutely no chance like

8 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Would love Frederick's back for right back, absolutely no chance like

I have a gut feeling Spence will turn out to be a great RB for us this year. Not sure why, maybe just blind optimism but he has all the attributes we could want.

If Woody wants to keep McNair despite him playing in a position where we have plenty of options then that to me suggests that we might have some money to spend after all and not be totally dependant on selling first. We desperatley need full backs and wingers so we need to spend.

Hopefully we are flogging Saville instead. 

To be fair though do we have plenty of options if we go 4-3-3 as expected? Clayton/Mcnair/Saville/Wing/Tav/Howson. That pretty much goes along with the general 2 for every position code. 

One of them goes and Malley? moves up and takes their spot will be the likely outcome though.

nice to hear woody wanting tav in cm.

winger britt winger

tav paddy wing

friend fry danny shotton

need a few decent wingers ans 2 fullbacks and that will leave us over stocked with cm's would be surprised to see one or two of them leave.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

nice to hear woody wanting tav in cm.

winger britt winger

tav paddy wing

friend fry danny shotton

need a few decent wingers ans 2 fullbacks and that will leave us over stocked with cm's would be surprised to see one or two of them leave.

I just don't see Saville and Howson on the bench. As long as they are here I think Tav will be used as a winger, unless Woodgate goes with the aforementioned diamond with Tav at the tip behind two strikers. I'm not sure he is tricky enough for that role though.

4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I just don't see Saville and Howson on the bench. As long as they are here I think Tav will be used as a winger, unless Woodgate goes with the aforementioned diamond with Tav at the tip behind two strikers. I'm not sure he is tricky enough for that role though.

Dont think weve really seen enough of tav to make that judgement to be fair. Hes been in and around the first team for 2 years now and I still dont know what his main strengths asides from apparently having a decent eye for goal. A testament to how little of a chance hes actually been given despite all the hype.

I mean with current personnel playing a Midfield diamond would probably suit us the most, taking inspiration from Tottenham's efforts last year. We would really need to prioritise the fullback positions though to provide more attacking width...

--------------Randy 

RB-------Ayala---Fry---------LB

--------------Clayton

Wing---------------------Saville

-------------McNair

Braithwaite---------Fletcher/Britt

With Britt possibly coming back late due to internationals I think we could have MB and Fletcher playing similar roles to Son and Moura whilst Kane was out injured and McNair playing a similar role to Alli making late runs into the box.

In terms of fullbacks I think we need to buy at least one, would Friend still be up to playing the role of an attacking fullback, I know a lot think he's passed it on here. On the right hand side we've been told Spence is a positive front foot fullback but with little experience it would be a lot of pressure having him as first choice, whereas Shotton did have a lot of good games at fullback last year but is more on the defensively solid side...

• Like 1

So if it's 4-3-3, and Tav is seen at on option in CM:

GK - Randolph / ??? / Pears

RB - Shotton / Spence

CB - Ayala / Flint 

CB - Fry / Wood

LB - Friend / Coulson / Kitchen

DM - McNair / Clayton

CM - Howson / Wing / Malley

CM - Saville / Tavernier

RW - ???

CF - Assombalonga / Fletcher

LW - Braithwaite? / ???

Genuinely doesn't look awful. And it's a side with plenty more creativity than it was when shackled by Pulis. Addition of a RW, competition on each flank - an upgrade in one/two positions and we'd be okay. There's many varied options and mixes available from those 7 CM options. 

28 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I mean with current personnel playing a Midfield diamond would probably suit us the most, taking inspiration from Tottenham's efforts last year. We would really need to prioritise the fullback positions though to provide more attacking width...

--------------Randy 

RB-------Ayala---Fry---------LB

--------------Clayton

Wing---------------------Saville

-------------McNair

Braithwaite---------Fletcher/Britt

With Britt possibly coming back late due to internationals I think we could have MB and Fletcher playing similar roles to Son and Moura whilst Kane was out injured and McNair playing a similar role to Alli making late runs into the box.

In terms of fullbacks I think we need to buy at least one, would Friend still be up to playing the role of an attacking fullback, I know a lot think he's passed it on here. On the right hand side we've been told Spence is a positive front foot fullback but with little experience it would be a lot of pressure having him as first choice, whereas Shotton did have a lot of good games at fullback last year but is more on the defensively solid side...

That midfield makes me a bit sad. Hopefully that's not a route we are going because it looks dire to say the least. McNair as a number 10? That looks exactly like the kind of team Pulis would be proud if, even if we get some attacking full backs. If we go with a diamont we need a genuine number 10. McNair to battle with Clayton for the holding role. 

Couldn't see McNair playing a holding role, any time I've watched him play for Northern Ireland in Midfield he's been one of the more advanced players similar to how he was played at Sunderland. Given a bit of freedom with Clayton sitting I could easily see Wing, Saville and McNair netting 20 goals between them next year something like 5/7/8.