Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If the shift in club philosophy really is that the academy players need to be given the chance to play first team football then great as that's what the philosophy already should have been.  It's crazy for a club to spend millions on something and then allow successive head coaches/managers to simply add players to the squad over and over again thus blocking the path for academy players.  Almost any manager, if given the choice, will sign a senior player rather than use a youngster.  As a club you basically have to force them not to do that or at the very least to create an environment where they are encouraged to promote younger players otherwise it will never happen.

The remit of the academy in the past wasn't to find players to sell and help sustain the club.  It was to find players to play in the first team.  However, we're no longer a Premier League club so it's possible that this has changed now.  I still think that the primary goal of the academy is to find players to play for Middlesbrough and then whatever happens after that we'll take as it comes.

Having the academy as a key component of the club is exactly what we should be doing.  Spending millions on signings every summer isn't sustainable and as we apparently have a decent youth set up it would seem logical to try and get the most use out of it.  I don't think we are going to end up being anything like Crewe, that's a silly thing to say.  We will still sign players and we will no doubt spend money but it's just that we'll presumably spend a bit less on that and give more opportunities to the players we produce ourselves.  If we're also looking for prospects from outside the club then we'll be looking to give them a chance as well.  But we can't complain about the club wasting loads of money and then complain that they are trying to eliminate that.

Yep and the fans need to realise until we are established again in the PL (if we ever are) then the likes of Fry and others that we bring through will be sold when a good offer comes in. We will no doubt go backwards before forward again. 

The trick is to be competitive and challenging for promotion whilst being self sustaining. 

Probably why club officials spent so much time with Brentford last year. We will use the academy/lower leagues more than sign foreign talent I would imagine but they manage to flirt with the playoffs most seasons whilst making good money on players.

Lets hope the fans and the chairman have the patience to see it through. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I am frustrated at the lack of attacking signings while simultaneously excited at the prospect of seeing more of our younger players. I'm very conflicted.

Isn't that you all over though mate ?

13 minutes ago, SmogInSheff said:

Yep and the fans need to realise until we are established again in the PL (if we ever are) then the likes of Fry and others that we bring through will be sold when a good offer comes in. We will no doubt go backwards before forward again. 

The trick is to be competitive and challenging for promotion whilst being self sustaining. 

Probably why club officials spent so much time with Brentford last year. We will use the academy/lower leagues more than sign foreign talent I would imagine but they manage to flirt with the playoffs most seasons whilst making good money on players.

Lets hope the fans and the chairman have the patience to see it through. 

I think most fans realise where we are as a club at the moment in terms of having to potentially sell the likes of Fry. 

If we can play good football, bring through lots of academy players and be on the fringes of promotion then I think most fans will be happy with that.

I think fans also need to realise that if we sell a few of our best players we might also find ourselves in the bottom half of the table. The club will also have to realise that after where we were two years ago and after putting up ticket prices then some fans might not have a lot of patience. 

I think its gonna be a tough couple of years. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Aye like i said Flint going for low money. Saville next if we get a suitor

Ok so let's have a little think about this.  Somebody or perhaps a number of people at the club thought we should sign those two players last summer.  Fast forward a year and we are now willing to let them go cheap to get rid of them.  Who suggested those signings?  Why were they suggested?  Who sanctioned those signings?  Are any of those people still at the club and if they are then why?  I'd love to get answers to the first three questions at least and maybe the 5th question afterwards.

• Like 1
Just now, Changing Times said:

Ok so let's have a little think about this.  Somebody or perhaps a number of people at the club thought we should sign those two players last summer.  Fast forward a year and we are now willing to let them go cheap to get rid of them.  Who suggested those signings?  Why were they suggested?  Who sanctioned those signings?  Are any of those people still at the club and if they are then why?  I'd love to get answers to the first three questions at least and maybe the 5th question afterwards.

What i dont get is why its the same team recruiting again. Wasted so much money 

Just now, nunthorpered said:

What i dont get is why its the same team recruiting again. Wasted so much money 

I think most of us don't get that and other than Gary Gill being Gibson's mate it's difficult to see an answer that makes a great deal of sense.