Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SDS, it’s Dijksteel at Rockliffe

For all those asking about these 4 players at rockcliffe just before weekend. I have done some digging appears it was bola Browne and 2 premiership loan players, sketchy with details but I believe the

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Crucial part is the loan players we can get in. 

Plenty out there to get, it's just getting the right ones. 

I agree and loans is the way we will have to go. I just wish they would explore the option of players from abroad.

6 players in our current squad who have one year left on their contracts and i cant see any getting an extention. Ayala, Shotton, Friend, Howson, Johnson and Gestede.

How many would we get anything for this or the next transfer window, then they all need replacing of course.

2 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

6 players in our current squad who have one year left on their contracts and i cant see any getting an extention. Ayala, Shotton, Friend, Howson, Johnson and Gestede.

How many would we get anything for this or the next transfer window, then they all need replacing of course.

If we are still in this league come next season, I wouldn't be surprised if Ayala, Friend and Howson were offered new deals. You would expect that they would be short deals on lower wages, but it is the Boro we are talking about. 

8 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I'd expect Ayala, Shotton, Friend and Howson to get an extension if they accept a lower wage tbh. It would be madness to let them go for free and have to find money for replacements. 

If Friend does a reasonable job of reinventing himself as a CB this season, he might get another year. Similarly with Howson, if his versatility proves useful (although I reckon he will go).

Ayala will be 29 this time next year, so by no means old, so if he stays relatively fit, we could get another couple of years out of him.

I don't see Ayala accepting a lower wage. Shotton, Friend and maybe Howson, though I can only see us extending Friend's stay out of those. But Ayala is only 28. He's still got a few years left in him and has long been considered one of the best defenders in this division. Whoever gets relegated will probably battle between themselves to grab him on a free next year.

6 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

If we are still in this league come next season, I wouldn't be surprised if Ayala, Friend and Howson were offered new deals. You would expect that they would be short deals on lower wages, but it is the Boro we are talking about. 

You have to think that if we aren't able to get rid of anymore of the players we want to this window it at least should make us in a decent position next season regarding wages as long as we don't make any daft signings going forward. 

Add to this selling a high-value player next year like Fry or Britt then this longevity plan seems realistic all-be it a slow evolving one. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Ayala's only 28, got a few years left in him and would cost to replace. Definite extension, if we can afford it.

Friend's 31, was cheap to buy, had a good run.  Could see a short extension as backup LB/CB.

Howson will be 32 by the end of the season.  Any extension is getting into Leadbitter territory, possibly not worth it.

Shotton over 30, overpriced wage, no real position.  Think we'd snatch someones arm off if we could sell.  Leaving on a free may be worth it dependent on wage.

Ayala is the one that jumps out at me, prime CB age and still quality at this level he wouldn't be short of big offers from elsewhere in the Championship, Friend might be willing to accept a lower wage to stay on as he's the wrong side of 30.

• Like 2

I wonder when Woody came out of retirement?

Sources at Middlesbrough have told Football Insider that the 25-year-old fits the profile of player manager Jonathan Woodgate wants to sign this summer as he attempts to work with a restricted transfer budget at the Riverside.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/paper-talk-middlesbrough-linked-former-16633462

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Ayala's only 28, got a few years left in him and would cost to replace. Definite extension, if we can afford it.

Friend's 31, was cheap to buy, had a good run.  Could see a short extension as backup LB/CB.

Howson will be 32 by the end of the season.  Any extension is getting into Leadbitter territory, possibly not worth it.

Shotton over 30, overpriced wage, no real position.  Think we'd snatch someones arm off if we could sell.  Leaving on a free may be worth it dependent on wage.

3 of them are versatile and can cover multiple positions. IMO if we weren't intending on extending them, they'd be out the door now for whatever money we can still get.